Wiki Posts
Search

Hong kong airlines - worst experience ever

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2018, 7:19 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by spin88
The likely answer is that all three countries (Korea, Japan, Taiwan) have visa free entry into Canada. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...s-country.html Also all three have substantial service into US airports, YVR is NOT a connection point for them. I would bet that all three also have a very clear warning that pops up on their web-site. I'll go one step further and suggest that I seriously doubt that any of these carriers route any traffic sold on their web-site via YVR at all.

Here Kong Kong Air is carry lots of PRC Chinese - who don't get a visa waver for Canada - but unlike the other Chinese Carriers they did not get into the transit program. Had Kong Kong Air make it clear on their web-site it would be a different matter, but they sold a ticket with a major hidden catch. Given what other HKG/Chinese carriers do, I blame them for not taking the reasonable steps to protect their customers.
HK citizens are also exempt from visa to Canada. ANA and China airliens will sell you a ticket via YVR on the way to SEA without warning about transit visa. The Korean airlines also transport many Chinese citizens. I don't buy your explanation.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by siaa380
Someone should have told you that you can typically get a Canadian evisa in minutes on their website. I was flying through SEA today and they had signs up from the Canadian government letting people know that they typically get the approval email in less than 5 minutes
For Thais arriving from Hong Kong, I doubt that.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 12:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
I believe it's one's responsibility to make sure if a visa is needed for connection at a foreign airport. In fact, I check on numerous websites to see if I need a visa for connection as I think airlines are not require to provide such information.

Government policy changes all the time. If airlines provide outdated information and passengers are denied entering the country, should thr airline take any responsibility?
z4017 likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 6:34 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by weiwunokenan
I believe it's one's responsibility to make sure if a visa is needed for connection at a foreign airport. In fact, I check on numerous websites to see if I need a visa for connection as I think airlines are not require to provide such information.

Government policy changes all the time. If airlines provide outdated information and passengers are denied entering the country, should thr airline take any responsibility?
Hong Kong Air sold OP a ticket HKG-YVR with a connection on AS YVR-USA. Were I in OPs place I would assume there was not an issue, otherwise the airline would flag it for me. Hong Kong Air sold this as a CONNECTION. It was not bought as two seperate tickets. Again, OALs have made arrangements to allow such a transfer. Between one guy in Thailand who may never have travelled abroad and a major airline, who do I place the responsiablity on? The ticket seller is IMHO responsible. They are in the business of making $$$ by selling tickets, via a connection, and the responsibility to understand and explain any issues - here created by them not being part of the sterile pass through arrangement at YVR - rests on them.

As to the argument that e.g. ANA and JAL don't have such arrangements, well I ran some dummy searches and don't see that they offer on their web-sites tickets via Canada. They just don't connect their (or at least don't offer on their web-site) and as such it is not their issue. If someone can show me a routing offered by ANA, JAL, EVA, Asiana, or KAL on their web-site with a connection in YVR then I am may consider who I think is at fault....

Here Hong Kong Air (like CX, and AC) offers such connections via YVR, and is not part of the waiver, and does not provide any disclosure or information to key people off to an issue that they clearly ought to know about. That is what makes Hong Kong Airline a crappy airline.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Found flights on KE, BR & OZ via YVR in about 2 minutes. It is up to the traveler to obtain any and all visas for travel including transit visas. HKA could do better to advise people but it also is not their legal responsibility to do so and they state such in many places as does every other airline.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Hong Kong Air sold OP a ticket HKG-YVR with a connection on AS YVR-USA. Were I in OPs place I would assume there was not an issue, otherwise the airline would flag it for me. Hong Kong Air sold this as a CONNECTION. It was not bought as two seperate tickets. Again, OALs have made arrangements to allow such a transfer. Between one guy in Thailand who may never have travelled abroad and a major airline, who do I place the responsiablity on? The ticket seller is IMHO responsible. They are in the business of making $$$ by selling tickets, via a connection, and the responsibility to understand and explain any issues - here created by them not being part of the sterile pass through arrangement at YVR - rests on them.

As to the argument that e.g. ANA and JAL don't have such arrangements, well I ran some dummy searches and don't see that they offer on their web-sites tickets via Canada. They just don't connect their (or at least don't offer on their web-site) and as such it is not their issue. If someone can show me a routing offered by ANA, JAL, EVA, Asiana, or KAL on their web-site with a connection in YVR then I am may consider who I think is at fault....

Here Hong Kong Air (like CX, and AC) offers such connections via YVR, and is not part of the waiver, and does not provide any disclosure or information to key people off to an issue that they clearly ought to know about. That is what makes Hong Kong Airline a crappy airline.

Directly from JAL website for BKK-SEA route.

Sucks for the OP but at the end of the day it is his fault. If he/she did not feel like researching transit visa requirements, that level of service is part of why travel agents still exist.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 10:05 pm

Programs: asia miles

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Found flights on KE, BR & OZ via YVR in about 2 minutes. It is up to the traveler to obtain any and all visas for travel including transit visas. HKA could do better to advise people but it also is not their legal responsibility to do so and they state such in many places as does every other airline.
as you said it is the passenger responsibility to have their documentation in order. I don't think anybody will hargue about it. But still airlines could let passenger know about it. A warning during booking doesn't cost anything. If people ignore it well it is their problem. Airlines are not not responsible. Yes but that's an easy way to make money.hK business style. Hide yourself Behind the law to steal money....
Old Jun 16, 2018, 11:39 pm

Programs: asia miles
Originally Posted by dls25

Directly from JAL website for BKK-SEA route.

Sucks for the OP but at the end of the day it is his fault. If he/she did not feel like researching transit visa requirements, that level of service is part of why travel agents still exist.
Really. Lol when is the last time you tried to deal with a TA. Not mentioning a HK TA
Old Jun 17, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by blandy62
Really. Lol when is the last time you tried to deal with a TA. Not mentioning a HK TA
I actually deal with them regularly on a professional basis. Never dealt with a HK-based one but the agencies I do deal with realize visa info and assistance is part of the value that their passengers are paying them additional money to provide.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by blandy62
as you said it is the passenger responsibility to have their documentation in order. I don't think anybody will hargue about it. But still airlines could let passenger know about it. A warning during booking doesn't cost anything. If people ignore it well it is their problem. Airlines are not not responsible. Yes but that's an easy way to make money.hK business style. Hide yourself Behind the law to steal money....
I don't think I have encountered airlines outside HK with such blatant pop-up warnings on visa requirements, since they don't always collect passport/nationality information at the time of booking. It is also a legal liability issue, as visa requirements can change frequently and if the airline gives a wrong warning, they could be held liable by the customer after the fact. So why should they be on the hook when the T&Cs and international standard practice puts the responsibility solely on the passenger?

I don't think it's a simple to put warning box. Someone has to maintain the visa requirement table, interpret it, and translate that into a useful warning. A generic pop-up reminder means nothing and will get ignored.
z4017 likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:33 am

Programs: BAEC
Whilst I still maintain that it has to be the responsibility of the passenger and the OP to verify their immigration arrangements, I think the pop-up or message during booking people are suggesting would be useful for HX to put on this kind of itinerary would be to flag to customers that "no international transit arrangements exist at YVR for the connection being proposed, and that customers must satisfy themselves that they hold the appropriate immigration status to be able to complete the transit to the final destination."

No complication for the airline to refer to specific country or immigration regulations and risk being wrong

The difficulty is that air tickets have so many points of sale beyond the airlines own website, and varying capability to show such messages across all points of sale. At worst it could end up being buried in the fare rules which are often not exposed to customers in full, and even when exposed I bet less than 1% of customers would read them, get past the first page, or could understand them.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 3:17 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
CX does this slightly better, but this is not an apples-to-apples comparison as this CX888 flight is one flight number ("direct flight", even though the term is confusing) from HKG to JFK via YVR.

I am in the camp that HX did no less than it is required to because normally airlines' websites do not show transit visa requirements where more than one flight is involved. E.g. if I need to transit the US, CX, HX, BA, Expedia and so on will not remind US requires all transit passengers to have visas or ETSAs.

Old Jun 19, 2018, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by m.y
HK citizens are also exempt from visa to Canada. ANA and China airliens will sell you a ticket via YVR on the way to SEA without warning about transit visa. The Korean airlines also transport many Chinese citizens. I don't buy your explanation.
HKSAR passport holders still need a eTA to enter or transit Canada by air despite holding visa exemption (that just means we don't need full visa from Canadian consulate)

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
For Thais arriving from Hong Kong, I doubt that.
Thai nationals do not have that visa exemption. They can TWOV on one of the approved airlines, but otherwise need transit visas.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 3:28 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Even if they put on their own website, many people book through third parties either online or offline. It is the passenger's obligation to satisfy documentation requirements for their itinerary and citizenship.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by Supakrit Bavontumpiti
I was not the one that asking HK Airline to reroute to SFO/LAX. Why I want to go to San Fran since I booked a hotel in Seattle city.
Instead, I asked what they could do to help, and they were the one who offered me to reroute to SFO, and asked me to wait for a confirmation.
Unfortunately, they let me wait in the airport for more than 5 hours to be confirmed that this option is actually not valid even they were the one that offered me first.

However, they still offered me to get a refund instead. But they just throw me to talk to another guy in the phone. After talking for a while, a phone guy told me that refund was not viable option as well.

This wasted my time in the airport doing nothing for the whole day. it felt very exhausted and helpless, without knowing which fight I could catch to Seattle, or which hotel should I stay further in HK.
I would appreciate more if they made it end quickly even I got nothing, instead of offering hope and letting me wait for nearly a day, but rejecting them all in the end.
I probably should extend my comment about HX behaving like a LCC during IRROPS to any situation where customer service is required.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.