Search

China Southern or DragonAir?

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 1999, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Cathay Pacific Asia Miles
China Southern or DragonAir?

Hi,
My family and I might travel from Hong Kong to China somewhere in August. Which airlines should my family pick, China Southern or DragonAir?

Thanks!
Old May 22, 1999, 11:36 pm

Depends on where you're going to, CZ serves CAN from HKG but not KA. If you're flying to SHA, KA has nonstop from HKG, but you've to connect in CAN if you take CZ. If you're flying to PEK, both have nonstop. But I've heard that KA is hard to book since KA flights tends to be full. If I were you, I'll try to book KA first for destinations served by KA.
Old May 23, 1999, 1:22 am
Original Poster

Hi yeelam, thanks for your help first. Beside their schudules and destinations, which provides better services and food?
Old May 23, 1999, 9:01 pm

Sorry, I've never been on either airline before. So, I don't know about the food quality.

About safety, I've heard enough complains about safety on CZ, MU and other major airlines of China. One of my friend actually flew on a CZ B737 few years ago, and he discovered that the seat belt was missing. He asked the FA if he could have another seat, but the answer was negative since the flight was full. Fortunately, nothing happened during that flight.

There were also fatal crashes in recent years in China, but I can't remember if CZ was involved. I think your best bet is to avoid Chinese airlines.
Old May 23, 1999, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Hmm, scary story. Well, it seems DragonAir is the only 'chinese' airlines (travelling to China) that is safe.
Old May 23, 1999, 11:19 pm

Programs: 2.1MM
I travel to China about 5 or 6 times a year. During each of these trips I end up traveling all around China. I just added up my flights so far this year and I have flown 18 domestic China flights. China Southern, China Eastern and Air China all have improved since my first trip in 1993. They even have Frequent Flyer Programs. I never worry about these carriers and if your tour routes you on any of these I would not worry. There are carriers with whom I worry about (tape holding overhead bin closed, seat belt light goes off just as the wheels leave the runway..) and I try to stay away from them.

Again to answer your question I would have not problems flying on China Southern Airlines based on my experiences.

------------------

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.