Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status not recognized on China Southern

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2017, 6:40 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Quasi OT, but as they are an AA partner, why would you not just use your AA Gold status with them? Typically partners are better than alliances wrt issues such as this.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NH Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by brunos
You keep repeating your philosophical stance about what an alliance, ST in particular, should be.

Arguing what benefits an alliance should offer is an interesting discussion. But ST does NOT offer the guarantee of free advanced seat selection. That is up to each member airline.
You keep insisting, without any link to an official document, that the word "priority seating" listed on ST web page means that it allows to select seats for free when you book your ticket. This is simply not true. Having access to some seats blocked for elite is different from being able to do advance seat selection.
I use common understanding of the English language to interpret the rules. "Priority" is defined as "the right to take precedence or to proceed before others". So, "Priority Seating" is correctly interpreted as advance seat selection. That's how it is practised in Oneworld; I enjoy that benefit in Onewworld when traveling on CX and JAL even though my ff is with AA. Let me reiterate, I am not seeking free access to special seats but just to select my seat in advance.

If what is put on ST website is not official, then what is? If the bragging of ST on their website of the benefits of elite pax is not true, then it isn't really an alliance. And this thread would help to enlighten those frequent flyers who are contemplating on flying with ST airlines to think twice. For me, this experience is sufficient for me to ditch ST for another alliance the next year. I am not going to spend my travel dollars on an alliance that lacks consistency in treatment of their elite pax.

Last edited by salfcl; Nov 24, 2017 at 10:03 pm
Old Nov 24, 2017, 10:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by exwannabe
Quasi OT, but as they are an AA partner, why would you not just use your AA Gold status with them? Typically partners are better than alliances wrt issues such as this.
Thanks for the info; I was not aware that CZ was an AA partner. Anyway, I had booked the flight on CZ stock as I intended to earn my miles on my AZ account.

This treatment by CZ is an eye opener and I will channel my spent accordingly.

I am glad to raise this thread because I think those who are considering to fly with ST airlines should take this into consideration.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 2:20 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
While priority seating might include reserving seats in advance of check-in this isn't necessary. For example, elite passengers may be offered the best available seats as priority seating at check-in.

OP referred to elite benefits being common across the alliance. This is also not quite right. The alliance sets minimum benefits which apply for elite status. Airlines can and do offer additional benefits in some circumstances.

BTW all alliances, Sky Team, One World and Star Alliance, have various quirks in their status benefits which reduces their value to some.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Please read the post after mine.

China Southern doesn't provide free of charge seating in advance for anyone other than their own status customers.

You can select for free at check-in, and use your status card (carry it with you) to request priority seating (if any are available) at the airport, as per the terms of the alliance agreement.

Advance seat selection is not part of the deal (it's not all that long ago that AF didn't allow advance seat selection for shorthaul, and KL only allowed it from 90 days before departure!!)

Seat selection on AF short-haul / medium-haul flights in Y
I hear you. Please pardon my ignorance ...what is ST benefit definition of 'priority seating'. When I was in OW, I had no problem with free advance seat selection ; I was AA Plat and I could select seats on CX and JAL. Have not tried it as a lowly Gold. And when I was flying DL and AF, I had no problem either. So, I assume, wrongly as I discovered, that CZ would provide me this most basic benefit. I was not selecting any special seats.

Lesson learnt. Will not seek to renew my ST status as I think OW is much better. Thanks for the clarification.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
While priority seating might include reserving seats in advance of check-in this isn't necessary. For example, elite passengers may be offered the best available seats as priority seating at check-in.

OP referred to elite benefits being common across the alliance. This is also not quite right. The alliance sets minimum benefits which apply for elite status. Airlines can and do offer additional benefits in some circumstances.

BTW all alliances, Sky Team, One World and Star Alliance, have various quirks in their status benefits which reduces their value to some.
If priority seating is not advanced seat reservation, then ST should footnote that on its website. I don't think my interpretation was out of the norm.

The minimum benefits are set out on the ST website. I was naive to believe that.

More than a decade with OW had led me to think that other alliance operated as seamlessly. Guess, I was wrong. Back to OW the next year. I will rather put up with some scheduling inconvenience for better service.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brunos
You keep repeating your philosophical stance about what an alliance, ST in particular, should be.

Arguing what benefits an alliance should offer is an interesting discussion. But ST does NOT offer the guarantee of free advanced seat selection. That is up to each member airline.
You keep insisting, without any link to an official document, that the word "priority seating" listed on ST web page means that it allows to select seats for free when you book your ticket. This is simply not true. Having access to some seats blocked for elite is different from being able to do advance seat selection.
Where is it mentioned that 'priority seating' is seat reserved for elites? I didn't see any such seats on the flight seat map.
Pardon my ignorance ...what kinds of seats are reserved for elites in CZ? In AA world, there are a few (called Main Cabin Extra) and they are available to be selected on or after reservation for free for elites (that's called "access to preferred or pre-reserved seating" in OW jargon. I thought "priority seating" would be along the same idea). But I could get them during reservation or after WITHOUT paying a dime, not only at check-in. I can't access special seats on JAL or CX but I could make free advanced seat selection on that two OW airlines because of my status on AA.

Let's just agree disagree on the definition of "priority" ..."priority" to me, which is not different from that of common understanding, means being given access earlier than the other groups. I will accept that in the world of ST and CZ, that term means something else which is nebulous.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
I'm re-writing my original answer on the basis of having gone and played around with some KLM bookings to which I had KLM (via Twitter) add my Alitalia number.

Having done this, by getting them to pad the AZ number with zeroes as you mentioned, the KLM website wasn't allowing me to select seats for free. So, using the KQ website, I removed the AZ number and tried adding it again at the KL website.

After some playing around, I discovered that - unlike previously, as this didn't work in this manner before - the KLM website will now happily accept ONLY a 7-digit FFP number for Alitalia MIllemiglia. I was successfully able to add the AZ number again on the KLM website, but NOT padding it with zeroes - the website would only accept the number as a 7-digit number.

And then, unlike previously when I had had KLM force it in as a 10-digit number - I can now pick standard seats for free, where previously they were chargeable at €5.

For another 2 bookings, I was able to replicate all of this - remove the 10-digit AZ number on the KQ website, add the 7-digit AZ number on the KL website, select seats for free on the KL website which wasn't possible with the 10-digit version of my AZ number.

I have never flown China Southern so I don't know if this will work for you. I do not even know if China Southern uses Amadeus, which would be necessary for you to use the KQ (Kenya Airways) website in order to remove the 10-digit version of the number.

If you can't do any of this yourself, then contact your travel agent, or China Southern, and have them remove your 10-digit number and try it as a 7-digit number (ie no trailing zeroes whatsoever). If that doesn't work, try having them put just one single zero in front of the 7-digit number.

And please return to tell us what happens!
I called CZ agent to remove the zeros and their system recognized my ST+ status which was not the case before. However, I was still unable to do any seat selection online.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 5:24 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer

All of you should give references before calling others incorrect. For Skyteam, priority/preferred seating should be translated as advanced seat selection. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be cause priority boarding is listed separately. It's actually listed as preferred seating on the Skyteam FAQ, which simply should be giving you preferred seats up front. How would you be getting preferred seats if you cannot do seat selections in advance? The argument of giving you preferred seats "at the airport" is just as ridiculous.

This benefit is not part of SkyPriority so it should not be mixed together. It's a benefit available as long as you are a Skyteam Elite (there may be restrictions though). I am certain that being an Elite member of any given airline when you fly them will give you even more available seats to select, but not none or all being chargeable. I won't be using the American and Europe airlines to reference cause there are usually no arguments needed.

1. According to China Airlines' website (I know it's not China Southern but they do and should translate since they are in the same alliance), they list it as advanced seat selection but is only applicable to flights 6 hours or longer.
2. Korean Air also lists it as preferred seating on their website. This service is available to passengers with purchased economy class tickets or First/Prestige class reservations within 361 days of the departure date. That basically means you can select seats when you make a purchase within the allotted time.
3. This is also a listed benefit for China Eastern on their website, which is correctly named as preferred seats as well.
4. Xiamen Air also listed as preferred seating with the restriction listed by China Airlines on their website.

If China Southern fails to deliver what's advertised, e-mail Skyteam and make them get it right.

Last edited by coolfish1103; Jan 14, 2018 at 5:29 am
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:40 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by coolfish1103
All of you should give references before calling others incorrect. For Skyteam, priority/preferred seating should be translated as advanced seat selection. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be cause priority boarding is listed separately. It's actually listed as preferred seating on the Skyteam FAQ, which simply should be giving you preferred seats up front. How would you be getting preferred seats if you cannot do seat selections in advance? The argument of giving you preferred seats "at the airport" is just as ridiculous.
Regardless of what we want the benefit to be, priority seating selected by the airline or passenger at the airport still meets the skyteam elite benefit of preferred seating. Nowhere does it specify seats must be able to be selected in advance by skyteam elite status passengers. Even though in practice a lot of airlines do provide that, it doesn't seem to be a skyteam requirement.
Bub001 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 5:23 am
Suspended

Skyteam

Another issue that OP brought up is that his status was not recognized when he gave them the FF number of anther Skyteam airline. Padding zeros, removing zeros or not adding/removing...etc. Are they alliance or not? Do they ever try to interface or even talk to each other? I am an AeroMexico Plat (ST EP), when I booked a flight with Delta last year, Delta had no way of checking my ST status after I gave them my AeroMexico FF number.
In my opinion, Skyteam is a loosely managed and quite low tech alliance. I was StarAlliance Gold by United. When I flew SQ, Emirates, ANA, Thai, Asiana, all of them knew my Gold status as soon as I gave them my UA FF number and the status was printed on the boarding pass. That was 4 years ago!!

Last edited by Mama; Jan 21, 2018 at 9:35 pm
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Skyteam is low tech indeed.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
I can never select preferred seats on Delta with ST Elite Plus. I can't even get lounge access.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.