Old Nov 11, 2017, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AC Elite, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
China Southern - Not sure on expectations

I am flying YYC to BKK via China Southern. What should I expect as a DL Diadon
g / Million Miler.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 12:01 am

Benefits as an Elite Plus

As well known, CZ is not keen on providing more services to Elites than normal passengers. They don't even care about their own Elites (Silver/Gold members of the Pearl Club). Also, CZ is not the one having an intimate relationship with DL. Therefore, I'd say you should expect all, but also only, benefits for ST EP. But if you request additional benefits, for example, seats with more legroom, I don't think they will mind offering them to you.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 12:33 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AC E75K, Chatime Elite
I flew PEK-CAN-BKK on the A380 and A320, respectively.

Service was fine, and the food was good (loved the beef noodles and had it on the return trip as well).

Immigration was a mess in CAN; our early arrival from BKK saw only 2 agents operating the foreigners' lines. When I cleared and mentioned it to the supervisor, he smirked and walked away. Allow 2-3 hours, to be safe. I had 3, and it took 1.5, easily.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by TTC192Rocket
I flew PEK-CAN-BKK on the A380 and A320, respectively.

Service was fine, and the food was good (loved the beef noodles and had it on the return trip as well).

Immigration was a mess in CAN; our early arrival from BKK saw only 2 agents operating the foreigners' lines. When I cleared and mentioned it to the supervisor, he smirked and walked away. Allow 2-3 hours, to be safe. I had 3, and it took 1.5, easily.
Did you mention it to the immigration supervisor or the CZ ground staff supervisor? I’ve found the latter to be pretty responsive. It would never occur to me that ANY immigration official would actually be helpful!!
Old Nov 13, 2017, 2:57 am

It was the immigration supervisor. He kept walking back and forth, pretended to look into important, but didn't call other officers to open up more booths.

The CZ rep didn't or couldn't help;. When he held a sign with my name upon deplaning, myself and another passenger thought he could get us through more quickly. When I finally got through, I waved off the rep and walked to the gate myself.

Originally Posted by Bub001
Did you mention it to the immigration supervisor or the CZ ground staff supervisor? I’ve found the latter to be pretty responsive. It would never occur to me that ANY immigration official would actually be helpful!!
Old Nov 13, 2017, 2:57 am

Duplicate post.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by TTC192Rocket
It was the immigration supervisor.
Complaining about poor service to an immigration officer in any country is a great way to score a trip to secondary inspection, or worse. In China it's just plain lunacy.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 3:47 pm

Unless you were there on that July morning, and you witnessed my demeanor, don't twist my words and actions.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Complaining about poor service to an immigration officer in any country is a great way to score a trip to secondary inspection, or worse. In China it's just plain lunacy.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 1:27 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
I would consider it lunacy for any foreigner to do that in the US too!
Old Dec 16, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: DL PM...SPG PM
I just got back from BKK and flew on CZ in J class. I was concerned about what the service and seat would be like. If you are planning a trip DO NOT be afraid to use CZ. The BKK-CAN was a 5 month old A321. My only complaint was the seat was broken on a new plane and didn't recline. The flight attendants on both segments spoke good English and there was no language barrier at all. The flight from CAN-JFK was delayed an hour due to late arrival of equipment . We made up about 40 minutes of the delay enroute and landed about 15 minutes late at JFK. The seat was extremely comfortable for the 15 + hour flight on a 1 year old 777-300. The flight we took was scheduled to depart at 130a. After take off they served a snack 6.5 hours into the flight they served breakfast and 2 hours prior to landing they served dinner. The food was decent not great but far from terrible. IFE was also fair nothing great. Overall the experience was good and I would take them again in a heartbeat. If you are using skymiles and the times work out take CZ over DL any day of the week. The difference in Miles needed to fly DL metal back to the US is not worth the difference. In my opinion the service and the seat was miles better then the DL 777.
rtool likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 2:05 pm

Thanks for the detailed report. I rate CZ highly and am taking the CAN JFK flight in a couple of weeks. I was curious to know the meal programme for the flight...thanks for clarifying it.
Rappyinfla likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:09 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by Bub001
Thanks for the detailed report. I rate CZ highly and am taking the CAN JFK flight in a couple of weeks. I was curious to know the meal programme for the flight...thanks for clarifying it.
One minor note on meal service. The mid flight snack is more like whenever they see somebody up and awake they will offer it. You can ask for it whenever

Same as about most all TPAC flights up front..
Rappyinfla likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: NH Plat, AA Gold
Service on CZ flights (YYZ-CAN and CAN-YYZ) that I took in Dec and Jan were pretty good. I flew coach. The attendants were helpful and attentive. The food was okay, not worse than AA flights to China. I found it unusual that the second meal was served 6 hours before landing. The snacks were buns and sandwiches. The seat pitch was pretty good.

As a ST+, I didn't get any perks except for an attendant introducing herself and addressing me by my last name. On the outbound, I requested for a bottle of water which the attendant eventually got me one from the business section. On the inbound, I made a similar request but they just said there wasn't any.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 4:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
First of all, China Southern is a pretty good airline when flying internationally comparing to other 3 major airlines in China, but being a Skyteam EP won't grant you any additional in-flight service.
Also, China Southern is not having a good relationship with Delta and Skyteam (unlike what China Eastern is doing), it is now a widely spreaded gossip in China that China Southern may leave Skyteam and maybe join Oneworld soon.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 8:08 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
As with all Chinese airlines, the planes can be quite good, food can be quite bad, service just ok, but the transfer experience and system is what can go downhill rapidly.,.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.