Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advise on Taiwan Flight Options for Elderly Traveler

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2017, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Advise on Taiwan Flight Options for Elderly Traveler

booking flight from Newark to Taipei for elderly friend who speaks Chinese and limited English. Normally fly EVA but have to leave from Newark this time and no flights out of there.

Option 1 on United - EWR --> SFO --> TPE - layover is 2 hr 12 min (other options have long 10+ hour layovers). Will they go through customs in EWR or SFO? If yes, is 2 hours enough time?

Option 2 on Cathay- EWR --> HKG --> TPE - layover is 2 hr. I think they will stay in the international transit area but will they need to retrieve and re-scan their bags? The whole flight is operated by Cathay (HKG to TPE is on Cathay Dragon, their regional plane)

Appreciate any insights
Old Mar 2, 2017, 9:53 am
qsh

Programs: AS MVP BR *G
I can only comment for the CX option.
There's no need for rescan/retrieve bag at HKG. Yet, you do have to pass through security again like in TPE.
CX/KA crew definitely speaks Chinese, both Cantonese and Mandarin (and likely 閩南 given CX hires a lot of Taiwanese crew)
Old Mar 2, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by kels7901
booking flight from Newark to Taipei for elderly friend who speaks Chinese and limited English. Normally fly EVA but have to leave from Newark this time and no flights out of there.

Option 1 on United - EWR --> SFO --> TPE - layover is 2 hr 12 min (other options have long 10+ hour layovers). Will they go through customs in EWR or SFO? If yes, is 2 hours enough time?

Appreciate any insights
There will be no customs in either EWR or SFO. There will be no security recheck in SFO, but one will need to walk (airside) from the UA domestic terminal to UA international.

Of course you may also wish to consider cost and mileage accumulation in your decision.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Is JFK with nonstops on EVA or China Airlines completely out of the question? I'd rather send someone elderly on a non-stop versus risking a misconnect in unfamiliar territory.

That said, the HKG option is probably better for Chinese speaking capabilities the whole way. You'll have ground crew and cabin crew who all speak Chinese. Additionally, even if they misconnect due to delays at HKG, there are multiple flight options to TPE. A misconnect at SFO would be more problematic and I thought United had a spotty on-time history with the SFO-TPE flight.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for the advice! i actually meant immigration, not customs in SFO but i didn't think about the terminal change. unfortunately JFK is not an option. i think we will go with the Cathay option.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 4:06 pm

which class? if you fly United, i would think it be easier to split the flight segments up in half instead of one full flight then a small flight.

ie NYC--> HK (16 hrs?) HK --TPE (2 hour?)
vs
NYC --> SFO (4 hours?) SFO -- TPE (14 hours?)
Old Mar 2, 2017, 4:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Etihad Gold, Emirates Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by kels7901
Thank you all for the advice! i actually meant immigration, not customs in SFO but i didn't think about the terminal change. unfortunately JFK is not an option. i think we will go with the Cathay option.
Pardon my ignorance, but why would one not be able to get from EWR to JFK, but yet they can do a transit?
Old Mar 2, 2017, 9:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by akalra1187
Pardon my ignorance, but why would one not be able to get from EWR to JFK, but yet they can do a transit?
It takes less time to fly from HK to Taiwan than it does to get from many parts of northern New Jersey to JFK.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by BuBu4
which class? if you fly United, i would think it be easier to split the flight segments up in half instead of one full flight then a small flight.

ie NYC--> HK (16 hrs?) HK --TPE (2 hour?)
vs
NYC --> SFO (4 hours?) SFO -- TPE (14 hours?)
NY-SF is close to 6 hours. SFO-TPE isn't a whole lot shorter than EWR-HKG. United isn't especially good at serving non-native English speakers. I'd be shocked if more than one in ten people would choose UA via SFO in this case.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 10:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by moondog
It takes less time to fly from HK to Taiwan than it does to get from many parts of northern New Jersey to JFK.
45 mins with average traffic to drive between EWR and JFK, and from other points even less of a difference. The flight AFAIK is 1.5 hrs. Add to that the connection time, you don't get off one plane and your connection is already ready to go, and more so the hassle of transiting, having to get off the plane, missed connections etc etc. I don't see how it's worth it.
Sure it will take you more than 45mins at peak times, but don't most of BR's flights leave late at night?
Really doesn't make sense to me. It's like someone saying to me they live in Brighton, so they'd rather fly from LGW and connect as opposed to fly from LHR direct, sounds ridiculous to me and London's traffic is way worse than New York's...
Old Mar 2, 2017, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by akalra1187
45 mins with average traffic to drive between EWR and JFK, and from other points even less of a difference. The flight AFAIK is 1.5 hrs. Add to that the connection time, you don't get off one plane and your connection is already ready to go, and more so the hassle of transiting, having to get off the plane, missed connections etc etc. I don't see how it's worth it.
Sure it will take you more than 45mins at peak times, but don't most of BR's flights leave late at night?
Really doesn't make sense to me. It's like someone saying to me they live in Brighton, so they'd rather fly from LGW and connect as opposed to fly from LHR direct, sounds ridiculous to me and London's traffic is way worse than New York's...
1. Good luck with that in practice

2. Many people who use Newark are further away (e.g. going from Princeton to JFK is a real drag)

3. Public transit options between northern NJ and JFK aren't good, and taxis are very expensive
Old Mar 3, 2017, 7:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by moondog
1. Good luck with that in practice

2. Many people who use Newark are further away (e.g. going from Princeton to JFK is a real drag)

3. Public transit options between northern NJ and JFK aren't good, and taxis are very expensive
Interesting. I still don't see it taking three hours more to get to JFK than EWR ever.
Thats the absolute minimum time it would take to realistically get from HKG to TPE, including deplaning, security re-check, minimum transfer time, reboarding and the hassle of a connection.
Anyway it's obviously up to you what you find better but in terms of convenience I can't say this makes sense to me.

Last edited by akalra1187; Mar 3, 2017 at 2:11 pm
Old Mar 3, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
Short of flying the non-stop, I would rather go with the CX option. Navigating through HKG for a non-English Chinese speaker is much easier than SFO. Also, like the others have commented in the event of a irrop there are many options on HKG-TPE.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When I lived in the Tri-State area, I was willing to take an extra domestic hop rather than going to JFK or even EWR to NRT. Going through all the bridges and tunnels into NYC is stressful. So, it is totally understandable.

However....if this is for the elderly, the nonstop is worth the pain. With Uber or the Chinese taxi companies, the cost is manageable.

SFO on UA is definitely the last resort.

BR should really re-start EWR service.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 3:05 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
I would go for the CX option too:
* Although the flight to HKG is longer, service is better and there are Chinese speaking crew (Cantonese and Mandarin).
* If there is any irrop, it is much easier for a Chinese-speaking person to get help in HKG (compared to SFO).
* If he is flying UA, he can walk airside to Concourse G (departing concourse for UA international) in SFO. However, If he follows the crowd and exits airside (likely), then he will have to go through security to return airside.
* If he is flying round trip, he may not want to go through customs in SFO before getting back through security to board his SFO-EWR flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.