Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

Korean air or China Southern from SFO TO MNL in business class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2016, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Both prices are almost the same for March travel

Which is better

I am more for hard products and can eat any food as long as it is edible and I am fed well.

If I take Korean air which happens to be Chelsea, returning requires me to stay 12 hours lay over.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Budget is 3500 each passenger

Thanks so much
Old Feb 2, 2016, 9:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
CZ would presumably involve a connection in mainland China. Those are prone to delays. You might also have problems being allowed to board if you're using TWOV rather than having a visa for China. Also, the KE lounges (especially the one in the main terminal at ICN compared to any SkyTeam lounge in mainland China) in Asia are better. [I don't know what the respective lounge arrangements would be at SFO.]
Old Feb 2, 2016, 9:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Well CZ you're connecting in China but it's CAN not PEK or PVG so I wouldn't use that as an major factor. Still minor though!

What are the aircrafts and routing times? I think that matters.

If one flies the 772 while one flies the a380 I think that decision is easy.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 11:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Well CZ you're connecting in China but it's CAN not PEK or PVG so I wouldn't use that as an major factor. Still minor though!
It could also be Wuhan as CZ routes the SFO flight through there three days a week.

[/QUOTE]What are the aircrafts and routing times? I think that matters.If one flies the 772 while one flies the a380 I think that decision is easy.[/QUOTE]

KE is now flying their new 747-8i on their SFO route. CZ is flying a relatively new 787.

Last edited by minhaoxue; Feb 4, 2016 at 12:02 am
Old Feb 2, 2016, 11:43 pm

Did an bit of research for OP.
KE
SFO-ICN-MNL
^747-8 ^773
SFO-CAN-MNL
^787 738

Take KE
Old Feb 3, 2016, 12:24 am
Original Poster

But i need to stay 12 hours on the way back in transit ? Is that worth it then CZ?

Is there first class on both aircrafts unlike EVA air and Oz That have business as first which make it seem like business are getting first class treatment...?
Old Feb 3, 2016, 12:54 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Are all CZ SFO-CAN flights via WUH or just some days?

If there is no transit in WUH then I think CZ hands down over KE.
CZ has better seat than KE, better schedule, convenient transit in CAN (just a boarding pass and passport check and up the escalator). Lounges are a wash CZ in CAN is about the same as KE in ICN. Neither CZ or KE have leading food/beverages but both okay. Service on CZ used to be poor but has improved rapidly over the past few years and no generally okay to good.

The wrinkle is WUH. I flew CZ CAN-SFO via WUH and transit in WUH was a minor nuisance since had to clear immigration in both CAN and WUH (this took less than 5 minutes each so not a big deal). The transit stop in WUH was short and relatively painless but in poor weather may not be so nice as no airbridges so bussed in to the terminal followed by a short walk under cover but outside. I suspect in the opposite direction all passengers would clear immigration at WUH, which means clearing immigration again at CAN.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 12:54 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by futtfy
But i need to stay 12 hours on the way back in transit ? Is that worth it then CZ?

Is there first class on both aircrafts unlike EVA air and Oz That have business as first which make it seem like business are getting first class treatment...?
Both KE and CZ have first class. With CZ they offer onboard upgrades.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 2:40 am
Original Poster

But CZ calls their business first class and the private suite as their highest class

I just want to feel that I'm the best class and don't you CZ will come close vs KE since they call their biz- first class?
Old Feb 3, 2016, 2:43 am
Original Poster

I want to know the different between SFO - CAN - MNL with 787 or LA - CAN - MNL with a380

Is it worth it with the a380 or both wouldn't matter if I'm in business class

Am thinking the a380 might feel a higher class for the business verses the 787 which may be older model

My goal is to feel like me and my partner are on first class.

The private suite in CZ is just 4 if I'm not mistaken so it's still going to feel like I'm in first class being on biz right?
Old Feb 3, 2016, 2:52 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

But CZ calls their business first class and the private suite as their highest class

I just want to feel that I'm the best class and don't you CZ will come close vs KE since they call their biz- first class?
What are you talking about? Don't confuse CZ offering for domestic with international. They have economy, business and first class for international - same as KE.

Having flown both CZ and KE in both F and C I'm comfortable recommending CZ business over KE business in this situation.

CZ's A380 is enclosed suite vs open suite in 787. Other than being more private there isn't a lot of difference in F.
CZ business, the 787 and A380 seats are the same. Lie flat staggered layout 1-2-1 with seats in consecutive rows offset from each other.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 3:01 am
Original Poster

So it's staggered biz layout 1-2-1 on SFO and LA Routes regardless of a380 or 787 or 777?

Sorry for being confused

My first time and not much familiar with fleets

It is cheaper by a few hundred to fly from lax than SFO for some weird reason

I am flying business clas regardless of fleet but just want to choose the better fleet but if they're all same looking physically for business class then , what should I choose?

Since the only difference as you said are the private suites which seems to still be minor

Last edited by futtfy; Feb 3, 2016 at 3:07 am
Old Feb 3, 2016, 9:27 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

So it's staggered biz layout 1-2-1 on SFO and LA Routes regardless of a380 or 787 or 777?

Sorry for being confused

My first time and not much familiar with fleets

It is cheaper by a few hundred to fly from lax than SFO for some weird reason

I am flying business clas regardless of fleet but just want to choose the better fleet but if they're all same looking physically for business class then , what should I choose?

Since the only difference as you said are the private suites which seems to still be minor
Business seats on CZ 787 (SFO-CAN) and A380 (LAX-CAN) are essentially the same. Forget suites - that is first class (unless of course you're happy to pay for the onboard upgrade).

I don't know what your USA origin is, or the onward connections to MNL are like for the two options, but LAX-CAN is more convenient than SFO-CAN (if it has a transit in WUH) and the A380 is nice.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

How come it says that 787 is 2-2-2 business class and a380 has the 1-2-1

SFO has the flight without the wuh layover and the lax is lax-can-mnl

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Business seats on CZ 787 (SFO-CAN) and A380 (LAX-CAN) are essentially the same. Forget suites - that is first class (unless of course you're happy to pay for the onboard upgrade).

I don't know what your USA origin is, or the onward connections to MNL are like for the two options, but LAX-CAN is more convenient than SFO-CAN (if it has a transit in WUH) and the A380 is nice.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 12:50 am

OP I think the last thing you want to be on is an regional 737-8 configuration. That's what you're going to get with CZ. (From China to MNL)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.