Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

China Airlines Economy Saver Fare Seat Selection Restricted

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2016, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond, DL Gold, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, WoH Explorist, Shangri-la Jade

Hey everyone,

Just a heads up, I just booked a CI roundtrip SIN-TPE, and decided on the saver fare because it came with seat selection (as advertised on the booking page). After booking, I try to select my seat, which the SIN-TPE segment does not show up. Afterwards, I see that it had booked into N, restricting me from seat selection.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 10:07 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by DreamHigh
Hey everyone,

Just a heads up, I just booked a CI roundtrip SIN-TPE, and decided on the saver fare because it came with seat selection (as advertised on the booking page). After booking, I try to select my seat, which the SIN-TPE segment does not show up. Afterwards, I see that it had booked into N, restricting me from seat selection.
Saver fare pretty much speaks for itself cause saver fare includes N/X/L/S, which means no seat selection. You need to double check the fare you buy as it only starts from the lowest fare in each category (meaning people will be buying these cheap fares till they reach one that allows seat selection.

The system sucks, so if you want to buy a higher fare for seat selection, you need to go through TA.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by coolfish1103
The system sucks, so if you want to buy a higher fare for seat selection, you need to go through TA.
That's the one thing I really don't like about their new online booking system; it used to be easier to pick a specific fare, but now it doesn't even seem possible.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond, DL Gold, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, WoH Explorist, Shangri-la Jade
I booked the saver fare because it displayed a seat selection symbol. The one that didnt have seat selection was the economy super saver fare, which was cheaper. I opted for the more expensive one to be able to choose seats, only to be given an N fare for a supposedly seat selectable fare.

Last edited by DreamHigh; Jan 16, 2016 at 11:18 pm Reason: spelling corr
Old Jan 16, 2016, 11:47 pm

I booked the saver fare because it displayed a seat selection symbol. The one that didnt have seat selection was the economy super saver fare, which was cheaper. I opted for the more expensive one to be able to choose seats, only to be given an N fare for a supposedly seat selectable fare.
The system I see only has...

Economy Saver
Economy Flex
Premium Economy Saver
Premium Economy Flex
Business Saver

or if you start from Business, it has...

Business Saver
Business Flex

I don't see that many options for Economy on my end.

Originally Posted by lolstebbo
That's the one thing I really don't like about their new online booking system; it used to be easier to pick a specific fare, but now it doesn't even seem possible.
Yes, it's a horrible system.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 8:21 am
Original Poster

The China Airlines website from Singapore gives me Super Saver, which doesnt allow seat selection. I assumed these will be the N/L/S/X fares. I wouldnt assume a saver fare which advertised seat selection on their own website would not give seat selection.

Old Jan 17, 2016, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by coolfish1103
The system I see only has...

Economy Saver
Economy Flex
Premium Economy Saver
Premium Economy Flex
Business Saver

or if you start from Business, it has...

Business Saver
Business Flex

I don't see that many options for Economy on my end.
I get this on my end:

BUT It only displays Super Saver if there's any avaliable; otherwise it just starts at Saver.

But they also have that note saying that seat selection for Saver excludes N.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

It seems China Airlines displays different info to different people?

Old Jan 18, 2016, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by lolstebbo
But they also have that note saying that seat selection for Saver excludes N.
Yes apparently they don't display super saver when it's not available, so I didn't see that

It seems China Airlines displays different info to different people?

You have a case with them on the website but then when you book the ticket it should display the code (where you have to click in to see and it's probably a code that does not give seat selection) so give them a call and see if they will let you select seats since it's partially their fault at IT.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 6:52 am

just wondering, if I am on this super saver fare with no seat selection, could I select seats at the online check in that open like 48hrs before the flight?
Old Feb 8, 2016, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Update:

Called CI office in Singapore. They confirmed that I do get seat selection but due to system limitations, it could only be done over phone. Seat selection opens up during OLCI
Old Mar 24, 2016, 3:21 pm

Seat Selection on CI on the Super Saver Fare

Not true. All seats will be available within 60 days of departure. You have booking number and name. Just log in, select manage booking and pick your own seat, then save. That is all. Hope that help.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 10:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Friends are travelling "L" class tickets and this is what the website says about selecting seats:

So does this mean they are excluded from assigning seat in advance altogether or only until the 90 day mark prior to departure?
Old Jul 22, 2016, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
Friends are travelling "L" class tickets and this is what the website says about selecting seats:

So does this mean they are excluded from assigning seat in advance altogether or only until the 90 day mark prior to departure?
No seat selection in advance.

Only until 24 hours when they are allowed to do online check in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.