Search

Airly

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2016, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Airly

Would you fly it? My first thought was these guys have never seen what the M5 East looks like at pretty much all times of the day. It's also turboprop.

Frequent travellers between Sydney and Melbourne face several frustrations: traffic to and from the airport, long security lines, regular ground delays and often the need to circle the congested air space before landing. It can turn what should be a one-hour flight into more than four hours door to door.
Enter the disruptors, Luke Hampshire, 28, and Alexander Robinson, 32. The young pair, both of whom have aviation experience, are looking to take a business model proven by the successful start-up Surf Air in California and transplant it to Australia, albeit with a few modifications.
The idea is as follows. Several hundred members will pay a $1000 joining fee and a $2550 monthly fee for effectively unlimited flights between Sydney (Bankstown Airport), Melbourne (Essendon Airport) and Canberra on an eight-seater King Air 350 turboprop. The company, Airly, will offer an initial 54 flights a week between those centres, with plans to expand to Adelaide and Brisbane at a later date.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/aviat...#ixzz3wt9z5m8a
Old Jan 10, 2016, 6:44 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by bensyd
It's also turboprop.
That might cause some a few issues, but there's lots of turbo props buzzing around ...

Operating out of Bankstown is brilliant. If only TT or JQ had thought / done it, they would have a niche market. But then again, I'm sure politics will (has) scuttle(d) jet operations. Sad really.

I hope these guys make it work. It's sufficiently different that it might just make it without the big guys grinding them into the ground.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 10:55 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
[mod hat] Moving to the right forum [/mod hat]
Old Jan 11, 2016, 4:32 am
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by og
That might cause some a few issues, but there's lots of turbo props buzzing around ...

Operating out of Bankstown is brilliant. If only TT or JQ had thought / done it, they would have a niche market. But then again, I'm sure politics will (has) scuttle(d) jet operations. Sad really.

I hope these guys make it work. It's sufficiently different that it might just make it without the big guys grinding them into the ground.
Plenty of jet ops out of Bankstown already, and has been the case for over twenty years, only problem is they are small jets because the runway is not capable of supporting airliners (Cat 4 ie 737 etc) in terms of length/width and pavement weight loads. BAE146s work, in fact there is one or two there now.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 6:33 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by markis10
Plenty of jet ops out of Bankstown already, and has been the case for over twenty years, only problem is they are small jets because the runway is not capable of supporting airliners (Cat 4 ie 737 etc) in terms of length/width and pavement weight loads. BAE146s work, in fact there is one or two there now.
Scheduled RPT or charter flight jets? That's what I was getting at.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by og

Do you live out that way, og? It just seems that any time saving due to congestion at SYD will be cancelled out by having to drive out on the M5 and then turboprop v jet. Maybe I'm being to CBD-centric.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.