Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air China Auction Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2017, 6:34 am

I put in $570 for JFK-PEK on the 9/2, no word yet but I should hear pretty soon. I looked on expert flyer and there are only 4 business seats showing as open but I understand CA often blocks seats.

I looked at tomorrow's flight and there are 12 seats open so I'm a little worried that I won't get the upgrade. Not to mention I paid $590 for the r/t and according to their ticket validation page, over half of that went to the connecting jetBlue flights.

EDIT - When I go to the bid for upgrade page on the CA website it shows the offer as "expired" where as it was "pending" for the past 2 days so I'm guessing that means they didn't accept the offer.

Last edited by sethMCOflyer; Aug 31, 2017 at 11:18 am
Old Sep 1, 2017, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Seth Moore
I put in $570 for JFK-PEK on the 9/2.
The airline sent me someone else's upgrade by mistake...they "won" the upgrade for $550 from PEK to LAX travelling 9/4/17 so thanks to that info...I revised my offer on my return to match! Hopefully I will get it...
Old Sep 6, 2017, 5:30 pm

When they didn't accept on my outbound business class looked pretty full, potentially one or two empty seats. Accepted $570 on the return, expert flyer shows business about 1/3 full.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 2:32 pm

JFK-PEK $550 Bid

Just found out about this bidding for business class seats. Put in a $550 bid for 2 seats. When I searched the website looked like there were 19 seats available with around 7 days until departure. Any idea on the chances of getting this upgrade since a lot of seats opened?
Old Apr 10, 2018, 9:53 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
FYI.

My mom's upcoming flight from IAD-SIN was offered an upgrade on the IAD-PEK segments. Minimum bid is US500.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 2:02 am

Air China Upgrade bid charged my card, 2 days after declinedPlease advise

Air China Promo Bid Upgrade Charged my card $560 and seemed they accepted my upgrade bid offer but then 2 days later i get an email that they declined the upgrade for flight JFK-PEK. Is there anything which can be done at this point to get upgraded to Business class with the same offer or try to argue with Air China? Have anyone else had this happenned to them previously and what have you done about it?
Old Oct 15, 2018, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by mikal
It's probably most useful to know several things about any successful/unsuccessful bid:

1. PhoenixMiles status
This is the most frustrating thing for me. I am Star Gold (Elite on Turkish) and fly Air China all the time but I get absolutely no love ever from them. Not one upgrade in at least 70 segments.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:00 am

Are European routes available for bidding as well? I don't seem to see such option....
Old Dec 3, 2018, 6:41 am

Any idea if Air China auctions upgrades from J to F? My itinerary includes JFK-PEK leg on 77W, which should have first class.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 6:44 pm

How many days prior to departure I can start bidding?

hi!

so my flight from JFK to PEK is about to leave on the October 31st. everytime I go to the bidding website it shows me I am not eligible for an upgrade. I remember I did bid a year ago with the same ticket class. Is it possible that they didn't open bidding process yet? do you know when would they open the access? I can see business is empty still...

thanks!
Old Oct 24, 2019, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by pandablood
This is the most frustrating thing for me. I am Star Gold (Elite on Turkish) and fly Air China all the time but I get absolutely no love ever from them. Not one upgrade in at least 70 segments.
Do you mean failed upgrade BIDS 70 times (which is what this thread is about) .... or are you expecting free upgrades? Does TK regularly upgrade you for free for being Elite? If not, why would you expect another airline to? Upgrades are not, and never have been listed as a *G benefit.... (nor has preferred/special seating but it doesn't stop folks from complaining they don't get it! )
Old Oct 25, 2019, 12:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bobrowiec
hi!

so my flight from JFK to PEK is about to leave on the October 31st. everytime I go to the bidding website it shows me I am not eligible for an upgrade. I remember I did bid a year ago with the same ticket class. Is it possible that they didn't open bidding process yet? do you know when would they open the access? I can see business is empty still...

thanks!
Wisdom of Flyertalk 101:

Do not assume business class is empty by looking at seat maps. It is always not the case as many people do not book their seats until reaching check-in desk.

Do not assume business class is full by looking at seat maps. Airlines have the habit of blocking seats for elites and other purposes.

They only way to see if business class is full or not, is to see the sales number yourself.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 7:54 pm

I was thinking about going for an upgrade for my PEK-JFK later this year but the minimum bid is something like $500 each. That means the minimum upgrade bid is frankly more than the original cost of the round trip economy tickets. On one hand I would love to upgrade my family of 4 but is $500 worth it for just one way?

Not saying I would even get it at the minimum bid, especially with 4 seats but is it even worth trying? I'm not exactly swimming in cash, but we do okay. I'd jump on it for a round trip, but it doesn't feel like much of a deal when some of the recent Asia-NYC prices have been under $1500 RT in business.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by Arshed Naeem

Air China Promo Bid Upgrade Charged my card $560 and seemed they accepted my upgrade bid offer but then 2 days later i get an email that they declined the upgrade for flight JFK-PEK. Is there anything which can be done at this point to get upgraded to Business class with the same offer or try to argue with Air China? Have anyone else had this happenned to them previously and what have you done about it?
Did you resolve this?
Old Jan 22, 2020, 10:42 am

CA981 JFK-PEK JAN24 2020
Got upgraded with a $605 bid from Economy to Business.

PS
DO NOT use ANY American Express card with the upgrade.
The initial charge was declined cause AE marked the transaction fraudulent.
Plusgrade sent me another email to let me contact the card issuer and after informing the card issuer there's a link to click on to inform Plusgrade to reprocess the upgrade request.
I would have lost the chance if there were no more spots available but I got a confirmation email the next day.

Also you do get a transit hotel/chauffeur to city with the upgraded ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.