Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

Mainland China Considering Allowing Citizens to Transit Through Taiwan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mainland China Considering Allowing Citizens to Transit Through Taiwan

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2014, 11:24 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
fishy

You have any links to the Taiwan agent?
How much cost we talking about? 1 year validity?
Old Mar 21, 2014, 1:26 am

Programs: AS: MVPG, Hyatt: P, SPG: G, Marriott: G, IHG: P
Originally Posted by tris06
You have any links to the Taiwan agent?
How much cost we talking about? 1 year validity?
It's a couple of years ago, so I no longer have the contact information about the Taiwan agent (also I've heard that the agent I dealt with already left that agency). The price tag is something like 1.5k or 2k USD (yes, USD, not NTD)
Old Mar 21, 2014, 2:53 am
Accor Contributor Badge

ok thanks

No problem. I was thinking if it was under 400-500 USD we would have done it.

I think what we will try to do is get the new permit(single entry) on the China side and then apply for the Taiwan permit. Going to HK we will let her use her hk multi entry permit and so fingers crossed that the china exit permit can be used again and again as it wont be marked or put in to their computer as being used. If they ask why applying again we will say we didnt go last time and the taiwan permit was lost or some crap like that. If i remember rightly she has about 6 months validity on the permit so should be good for 3-4 trips.

Anyway thats the idea.

We had to change our travel plans though. Now go to Jakarta in 2 weeks and will go to taiwan on the 30th of April to give it time to process.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well, we talked about this here since 2014 and also here in 2015. It looks it will finally happen - for passengers from 3 smaller cities (Kun-Ming, Nan-Chang and Chong-Qing).

I guess Mainland is going to see how the election in Taiwan goes and how the most likely DPP government behaves before opening this further.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by username
Well, we talked about this here since 2014 and also here in 2015. It looks it will finally happen - for passengers from 3 smaller cities (Kun-Ming, Nan-Chang and Chong-Qing).

I guess Mainland is going to see how the election in Taiwan goes and how the most likely DPP government behaves before opening this further.

This is not a trial to induce DPP Government to "good behavior". The only actor with any real power to change China-Taiwan relation is China itself. China decides if it wants good relations with DPP Govt just like it decides if it wants to have good relations with LDP Govt in Japan or Democratic (or Republican) Govt in the US. e.g. Direct flights between China and Taiwan began under DPP Govt etc. Both DPP and KMT wants good relations with China. Neither party wants trouble with China.

The gesture is most likely a last ditch effort by China to prop up KMT in legislative election.

The economy is pretty much the focus of the election in Taiwan. KMT is doing so badly, that it is in danger or losing one of its safest legislative seat in Kinmen... the island just off shore from Xiamen.

Edit: Not trying to start a political post - just offering my observations. Mods feel free to edit.

Last edited by bzcat; Jan 6, 2016 at 12:36 pm
Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Apparently this started today Feb 1 and 8 passengers did this on the 1st day from 3 Mainland China cities:

http://www.chinatimes.com/realtimene...1004252-260409

http://www.chinatimes.com/realtimene...1003659-260410 - CI had 2 passengers to BKK and 1 to LAX. Interesting people go through TPE for BKK - it is almost like before where people from TPE had to go through HKG/MFM for SHA

Last edited by username; Feb 1, 2016 at 1:21 am
Old Feb 1, 2016, 4:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by username
Apparently this started today Feb 1 and 8 passengers did this on the 1st day from 3 Mainland China cities:

http://www.chinatimes.com/realtimene...1004252-260409

http://www.chinatimes.com/realtimene...1003659-260410 - CI had 2 passengers to BKK and 1 to LAX. Interesting people go through TPE for BKK - it is almost like before where people from TPE had to go through HKG/MFM for SHA
Nanchang isn't exactly bursting at the seems with international flights, and TPE isn't too far out of the way between there and BKK.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA MP
Any update to this situation? Is it still the same as early 2016? Also I assume if someone has a U.S. passport, none of this restriction applies?
Old Oct 31, 2017, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by g46r
Also I assume if someone has a U.S. passport, none of this restriction applies?
I didn't have any issues going to Shenzhen via Taipei.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: AS: MVPG, Hyatt: P, SPG: G, Marriott: G, IHG: P
Originally Posted by g46r
Also I assume if someone has a U.S. passport, none of this restriction applies?
That's correct. The restriction only applies to Chinese citizens. (also it might not apply to Chinese citizens with PR in any country)
Old Oct 31, 2017, 5:14 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Sadly for 2 reasons this has not progressed.

Firstly there is no developments Because the communist government does not want to deal with the DPP government in Taiwan until they accept the one China policy which would be political suicide for the DPP.

Also even with the previous KMT government In power China drags its feet on allowing PRC citizens to fly out of the country directly to Taipei as the mainland airlines compete and defend their turf as well as taking as much feed out of Taiwan. Hence why one person said they could get a ticket to Taipei for about 350/400 USD from LAX with China Eastern.

A few years back I experienced the same when I wanted to accompany my grandmother on CZ I found it the most exspensive flying out of CAN to LHR and 60/70 percent cheaper to fly from Taipei to CAN then on the LHR.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

When the direct flights between TW and Mainland first started, they actually limited it to TW and Mainland residents. I would expect that has lifted.

Funny there are more bargain hunters / award routings from TW transitting through Mainland.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lolstebbo
The restriction is on China point of sale tickets transiting in TPE to another country.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lolstebbo
Restriction only applies to Chinese passport holders.@:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.