Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No ability to choose seats DXB-PEK on Air China???

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2013, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Location: Currently fais la navette entre les US et Paris. Lived in Scotland, Netherlands, and virtually everywhere in the US
Programs: AA 1M miles, UA Premier 1K, AF FB Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold VIP, Starwood/Marriott Gold Elite, etc.
No ability to choose seats DXB-PEK on Air China???

Dear Forum-Folk,

I'm flying DXB to PEK in business class on Air China 942 in late November. Purchased the ticket as part of an open jaw with PEK-EWR on United, from the UA desk. UA suggested I book my seats on Air China online, and gave me my AirChina confirmation code. That didn't work (no place to enter confirmation code on Air China site). I then called Air China (who confirmed that the website couldn't do that) and asked the agent to lock in a particular seat. She claimed that she had no access to the seat map (7 weeks before departure) and that this was standard with flights out of DXB, because they control the seat map in the airport.

She suggested I call Dubai (from the US) to see if they would chose a seat for me.

I've never heard of anything like this and would like your (all) advice. Do I wait until I get to Dubai in early November (but I don't want to risk an aisle seat)? Spend the money to call Dubai? Or is there something missing here??

thanks

JayCey
Old Oct 7, 2013, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Why don't you just wait say 2 weeks before the flight departs and then book your seat. Don't call Dubai. They can't help you. Normal res in the US should be able to do it. If its their system that doesn't allow seat selection on more than 7 weeks, then there is nothing you can do about it. TK for example can only assign seats on certain fares, and on certain sectors 3 weeks prior to departure.

Really.. what's the urgency to do it now?

OTOH, you can just call UA and ask them to request for a generic window seat if it pleases you. They know how to do so.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Location: Currently fais la navette entre les US et Paris. Lived in Scotland, Netherlands, and virtually everywhere in the US
Programs: AA 1M miles, UA Premier 1K, AF FB Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold VIP, Starwood/Marriott Gold Elite, etc.
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Why don't you just wait say 2 weeks before the flight departs and then book your seat. Don't call Dubai. They can't help you. Normal res in the US should be able to do it. If its their system that doesn't allow seat selection on more than 7 weeks, then there is nothing you can do about it. TK for example can only assign seats on certain fares, and on certain sectors 3 weeks prior to departure.

Really.. what's the urgency to do it now?

OTOH, you can just call UA and ask them to request for a generic window seat if it pleases you. They know how to do so.
Guy Betsy - I'm unclear how waiting until 2 weeks before departure will change anything. I believe Air China was saying that Dubai controls seats until the day of departure. I don't want to wait until the day of departure to choose seats.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 8:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
How about Skype? Calling UAE may not be cheap by any means, but at 22 or so cents a minute, a buck or two for the call is worth the peace of mind if it means that much to you. I always call them directly in Beijing by Skype if I need something (albeit China is much cheaper to call) as the local offices are usually limited on hours open.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 11:33 am

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by JayCey
Dear Forum-Folk,

I'm flying DXB to PEK in business class on Air China 942 in late November. Purchased the ticket as part of an open jaw with PEK-EWR on United, from the UA desk. UA suggested I book my seats on Air China online, and gave me my AirChina confirmation code. That didn't work (no place to enter confirmation code on Air China site). I then called Air China (who confirmed that the website couldn't do that) and asked the agent to lock in a particular seat. She claimed that she had no access to the seat map (7 weeks before departure) and that this was standard with flights out of DXB, because they control the seat map in the airport.

She suggested I call Dubai (from the US) to see if they would chose a seat for me.

I've never heard of anything like this and would like your (all) advice. Do I wait until I get to Dubai in early November (but I don't want to risk an aisle seat)? Spend the money to call Dubai? Or is there something missing here??

thanks

JayCey
Sounds like you were just passed along. CA at DXB are contract service employees with possibly just one CA employee. Very doubtful they can do it for you. I flew this route two years ago on CA and J was only 25% full.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 9:11 pm

Programs: A3 *G; VA Gold, HH Gold, A|Club Plat
Try using the CA PNR at http://book.eu2.amadeus.com/plnext/M...BN&LANGUAGE=GB

Should allow you to select seats, add FF details, etc.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by browniedx
Try using the CA PNR at http://book.eu2.amadeus.com/plnext/M...BN&LANGUAGE=GB

Should allow you to select seats, add FF details, etc.
Air China does not use Amadeus. So that won't work.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
I say that you try again. I was in the exact situation in April. Called Air China in US and got the Surat assignment without any issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.