Search

China airlines 777w's

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2013, 10:23 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
China airlines 777w's

Just thinking about their new 777w configuration which i have heard it will have 3 classes. First, Business and Economy.

My question is, if all their ordered 777's are destined for the US market then do they really need 10 aircraft with first class cabins? Considering they currently only really need 4-5 744's to handle LA and San Fransisco (Unlikely expansion of first class destinations?).

Any thoughts on this? Plus one positive side affect if my thinking is right. It might make me spend some of my mileage if they are going to fly 777's (for a short time before transpacific flights) or 744's with first class cabins in 2014-2015 to Europe. (First class cabins with business class service). I mention the 744's as we all know that CI wants to get rid of their a340's first.

Wishful thinking?
Old Jul 1, 2013, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Well, A340 will be replaced first but it seems in the medium term, the 77W is really here to replace the 747. Initially, 77W will probably take over 747 with F class routes, and the 747 will be refurbished (or not) and deployed on A340 routes and long haul A330 flights. And eventually, when the A359 arrives, the 747 will leave.

CI currently operates 7x 747-400 with F to SFO, LAX, HKG, PVG, and PEK. I believe the China rotations are in between long hauls. If they want to increase frequency to China, they will need more frames. Perhaps 2 more so they can offer more frequency (bilateral agreement permitting).

I don't know for sure but there might be some F opportunity on TPE-KIX-JFK since it is the only JFK-KIX flight available. This could use 1.5x frames.

So if you include the China rotations in mind, 10 frames sounds about right.

Last edited by bzcat; Jul 1, 2013 at 5:18 pm
Old Jul 1, 2013, 7:27 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
I tend to agree with your opinions. And as you said they might slightly expand on their F class service if they have 10 new F class planes going around.

The planes to HK i believe are just filled with Business passengers. So after the 777's enter there should be 17 planes with F class on them. But i really don't like the F class on their Current 747's if i was going to pay for it.

It will be interesting if they do replace the a330 on long haul (6+hours) routes. As there is only 3 long haul Rome, Sydney and Brisbane.. am i missing anymore?

Anyway what ever happens it will will be interesting to see what happens for aircraft assignment from September 2014.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by bzcat
CI currently operates 7x 747-400 with F to SFO, LAX, HKG, PVG, and PEK. I believe the China rotations are in between long hauls.
They rotate 74C/74R to SZX as well. They're definitely rotated to China between the long hauls; I flew SZX-TPE-SFO and had the same plane on both legs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.