Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

Need some help booking DPS-MES - Lion Air, Garuda, or other?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2013, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG

Hello, we are looking to travel one-way from DPS (Denpasar Bali) to MES (Medan) in mid-April. When trying to book on Lion Air's website, there is only one option available, which is JT 961, a one-stop flight in the late afternoon/evening for about ~$170 USD. The timing is not so great for us, but Garuda is much more expensive at ~$290. Is there some reason why Lion Air won't sell connecting flights, of which there are many options and schedules? I looked on an Indonesian travel site that didn't seem to offer connections either. If you search from LOS (Lombok) instead, there are many connecting options on Lion Air though the schedules aren't so great either.

Anything wrong with booking connecting flights as 2x1-way DPS-CGK, CGK-MES? It's cheaper that way too. Will we need to collect checked baggage, or can Lion transfer the luggage at CGK if on two separate tickets?

Thanks!
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Indonesian airlines aren't always punctual so there's always a risk you need to buy a new ticket if you miss the connection. Not sure if a same airline misconnect will be accommodated by the airline.

FWIW, it isn't easy to buy a Lionair ticket online (wouldn't work for me despite having the CC authorise it) while it is more so on GA (who will call your tel number on your CC account record to confirm the purchase).
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Indonesian airlines aren't always punctual so there's always a risk you need to buy a new ticket if you miss the connection. Not sure if a same airline misconnect will be accommodated by the airline.

FWIW, it isn't easy to buy a Lionair ticket online (wouldn't work for me despite having the CC authorise it) while it is more so on GA (who will call your tel number on your CC account record to confirm the purchase).
Turns out I found a good fare on Garuda's own website (who knows why the fares are all over the place on travel agents and online booking engines) but the charge was declined by my credit card. A call and connection with the fraud department cleared it up and the charge went through on the next try. It is connecting in CGK but all in one itinerary. Let's hope our luggage makes the one hour connection, we will not have anything of value in our checked bags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.