Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR-BKK-LHR Elite worth £200 more over Economy?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2012, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Azure
LHR-BKK-LHR Elite worth £200 more over Economy?

Return is £640 in Economy and Elite £850 in May, is the Elite seat worth an extra £200 to you on this flight? Both prices are on ebookers rather than the EVA website, any negatives of booking through them?

Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 1:56 pm

Programs: BR Gold
Originally Posted by jsdickinson
Return is £640 in Economy and Elite £850 in May, is the Elite seat worth an extra £200 to you on this flight? Both prices are on ebookers rather than the EVA website, any negatives of booking through them?

Thanks for your help.
Personally, I do find that price difference is worth it. Given the facts:
1. You will get more room (I am 6'1" and the increased room is very important to me), and somewhat better food than EY.
2. For trans-pac routes, the price difference is actually bigger, hence it (£200) does appear to me as a good deal.

Don't know much about ebookers hence can't comment on that.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 3:24 pm

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
I've flown this route so many times over the last 15 years (in all classes, mostly Elite and its predecessor), but still can't give a clear answer.

The extra on London used to be about 25%, and it was worth it then. The margin is higher now - partly because Elite is taxed by the UK gov as business class.

Things to consider (particularly from a London perspective):

1) Elite fills up faster - so less likely to have an empty seat next to you. Less likely to get the flight you want, or be able to change the date if you are on a flexible fare.

2) 50% of Elite seats are window or aisle. Less likely to get a middle seat in the event both cabins are pretty full.

3) Arm rests don't go up in Elite. Perhaps an issue if travelling with a companion. So taken with 2) above, Elite is "more better" if you are travelling alone.

4) Wider with more leg room. For me (5'10.5") the difference is simple: I can be comfortable in Elite. I can never be comfortable in Economy when there is a seat in front.

5) No exit seats in Elite. Economy has exit seats. More of an issue for FFs who can reserve exits in advance.

6) Better food in Elite and I find the difference significant on LHR/BKK/LHR. It's by no means C class food though.

7) 110V socket (euro/US pins). Great if you have a laptop. EVA's AVOD IFE is fine, but I much prefer to load up my laptop with my own stuff. Plus in Elite you've got plenty of space to open your laptop. (NB larger/older laptops might draw too much power.)

8) Usually more airmiles so easier to build status (but these days some fares get no miles at all). If you reach Silver status, you can use lounges when in Elite at LHR or BKK. In Economy, you only get BKK.

9) The cabin is generally less "zoo" like (as Gus would say). PAX are more upmarket, the extra space makes for a slightly quieter and more civilised experience.

10) With status, there is the chance of an OP-UP to PL. More likely and a more significant upgrade than Economy to Elite (IMHO).

I suppose it just comes down to budgets. If you're on holiday and for the extra £200 you could get a much nicer hotel in Thailand for 14 days, then I'd muck it in Economy for 14 hours (or whatever) in order to get 14 days of extra comfort.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 4:20 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the in-depth information jimbo99. This would probably be a one-off flight on Eva for a 2 week trip to SE Asia. Think I just have to weigh up if the extra £ is worth it.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 4:30 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
I certainly would if the £200 would not cause too many issues financially.

It's a while since I flew EVA Economy on that route (747 combi days!) so not sure what the Y is like, but for a similar figure i'd probably go on TG in Y as they have fares currently circa £600 34inch seat pitch, and inclusive of a set of internals.

But I think EVA's Elite is great value, better value than BA WT+ on the route (normally by about £400) and I prefer EVA. Although I dislike Tsingtao

And to follow the above (without being snobby) EVA Air seems to attract a strange crowd in Y - often the lads and ladettes off to party in Pattaya, so it can be raucous. Crew don't like crowd on the sector much (but they like the stopover in London!).
Old Feb 17, 2012, 6:17 am
Original Poster

There is pretty much nothing in the Y fares between EVA and Thai, Thai flight are A340-600. What is the Y pitch like on the B777-300 EVA operates? I wouldn't need the internal flights as I am starting a tour in BKK. However, I do need to figure out the best way of getting back to BKK from Siem Reap (probably Bangkok Airways).
Old Feb 19, 2012, 4:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold. Iberia Plus Blue, Miles and More Blue, Gulf Blue, Tesco Clubcard, Elite PAL Mabuhay
Originally Posted by jsdickinson
There is pretty much nothing in the Y fares between EVA and Thai, Thai flight are A340-600. What is the Y pitch like on the B777-300 EVA operates? I wouldn't need the internal flights as I am starting a tour in BKK. However, I do need to figure out the best way of getting back to BKK from Siem Reap (probably Bangkok Airways).
PG are the only carrier which flies REP - BKK.

The alternative is either overland to PNH then flight from there - overland to Thai border...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.