Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

malaysia airlines LAX schedule change leading to loss of award seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2012, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Hi all

Just trying to explain my frustration with Malaysia Airlines and hope someone can advise based on experience. I made a business class redemption booking for 4 passengers many months back for travel from ADL-LAX return in June 2012. All 4 seats was confirmed.

Then recently MH announced new routing/schedule for the KUL-LAX route (now stopping over in NRT instead of TPE) with change in flight time. Due to connection issue, with the new schedule, we would be arriving 2 days later in ADL than originally booked. Because of this I have wanted to change those tickets to travel in September now, instead of June.

So i rung MH call centre, which is now based in Malaysia. The sticky thing is they used to have 4 seats up for redemption for the KUL-LAX route but now there's only 2 seats. As such the agent will not confirm 4 seats for me in September, and all were put on waitlist, and I was told to ring back every few days to check on the status and sure enough I have rung twice in the space of 1 week and the seats are still on waitlist. I really cannot afford to be waiting forever for those seats to be confirmed. Someone (controller) has to physically release another 2 seats otherwise I will never get the seats confirmed. I have also emailed the airline but no response. Can anyone suggest what recourse do I have?
Old Feb 2, 2012, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Wonder what you want us to do, pray?
Old Feb 3, 2012, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Wonder what you want us to do, pray?
I thought the OP was very specific - he wanted advice and suggestions. He said nothing about praying. How did you figure that?

I think had OP maintained the same travel dates, MH would have more reason to help. By changing it to a different date, I think the OP is on his own. Since there is still time, maybe write a letter to someone high up and hope they can do something. I don't know how MH works but 4 C class award seats is a lot to ask on many carriers.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Since it is the OP who changed his dates the airline will not bend over backwords for the OP, the airline has a business model and giving out free seats whenever the client needs them is not going to work. So lets pray.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 7:10 am
Original Poster

MH has excellent availability in C. Based on my observations, they always have at least 4 C-class redemption seats on long hauls, sometimes even more. For some unknown reason the controller in his wisdom has only released 2 seats for KUL-LAX sector, not they would sell many C class seats on that route.

With reference to 'giving away free seats' I would beg to differ with djjaguar64.

MH has made $10k++ USD just by me transferring my credit card points , so they are still getting significant amount of money for seats that they otherwise wouldn't have sold in the first place. So would be smart idea for MH to release the seats to me, so I can burn my points then I will transfer more points to MH and that means more money for MH.

However MH is just sitting on it, so I guess they will lose my custom if they don't give me my seats !!!
Old Feb 3, 2012, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lincoln76
MH has excellent availability in C. Based on my observations, they always have at least 4 C-class redemption seats on long hauls, sometimes even more. For some unknown reason the controller in his wisdom has only released 2 seats for KUL-LAX sector, not they would sell many C class seats on that route.
This is totally understandable. They are starting a new route via NRT and have no history on the load. So, they would not want to release the seats so early in advance - especially for the entire journey. See if there is availability on the individual sectors.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 10:38 pm
Suspended

So would be smart idea for MH to release the seats to me, so I can burn my points then I will transfer more points to MH and that means more money for MH. !!
Really

I suspect it would mean even more money for them if you pay for the ticket like 99% of other passengers.

Why don't you just pay for the 2 tickets, and get a refund if award availability opens up.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

Surely in MH's premium cabin, the percentage of paying customers would be like 20%, not 99%. So if the airline chooses to have the seats empty then so be it.

I again reinforce that releasing more awards seats (which would have been empty anyway) have benefits for airlines, firstly through selling the points to credit card companies etc and then secondly they make money from some 'taxes' eg YQ which could be upwards of $1k.

Anyway MH charges AUD $10500 from Aus to Lax for a C seat which is more expensive than SQ and QF which are better products with their A380s so it will be very difficult to justify paying for a ticket. Maybe MH should look at their C class pricings for Aus to lax flights then maybe they may sell some seats.

Also I would think that after I paid for the tickets it will be a nightmare trying to cancel and get the money back but thanks for the suggestion.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 1:00 am
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
I again reinforce that releasing more awards seats (which would have been empty anyway) have benefits for airlines, firstly through selling the points to credit card companies etc and then secondly they make money from some 'taxes' eg YQ which could be upwards of $1k.
Not trying to be negative, but they get money from the credit card companies whether or not you redeem the seats. They still have YQ to collect (others are real taxes that go to governments and airports) but they could just as easily make that off a revenue ticket too.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 1:27 am
Suspended

Surely in MH's premium cabin, the percentage of paying customers would be like 20%, not 99%. So if the airline chooses to have the seats empty then so be it.
Few Malaysians use points in premium cabin, I would put the overall percentage of paying passengers to be at least 90%. If it were just 20%, they would have gotten rid of all premium cabins.

Maybe you should view the world from a wider perspective, just because you are not willing to pay for first or biz class seats it doesn't mean the rest of the world is like you.

And the world does not revolve around your needs or requirements ...
Old Feb 4, 2012, 5:01 am

Programs: various
Other options:
1) Same flight, see if two Y class award seats are available. Two people would have to suck it up and deal with the back. Maybe in the scheme of life, not the biggest tragedy.

2) Find two C award seats on flight day before or day after. Half the travelers arrive a day earlier and start the party going. I suppose this is less workable if your four-some includes children, though.

3) Can you buy an upgradeable Y fare and use miles to upgrade into C for two of the seats?

And I suppose we can also pray. :-P
Old Feb 4, 2012, 6:04 am
Original Poster

In response to jiejie,

1) everyone wants to sit at the front cabin, so Y is not an option. Besides I will not leave my friends sitting at the back while I'm at the front.

2) traveling on different day is an option, but ideally I would want to stick together for the 40 hour traveling experience. It would be my friend's first time in C, and I would like to accompany them rather than flying separately. The fun is traveling together.

3) if MH only releases 2 seats for redemption, then there's no point in buying an economy ticket then upgrade as it comes out of the same U class bucket. So there won't be any seat to upgrade to as we have already taken the original two.

Looks like I am just gonna have to be pay for 2 tickets.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 1:24 pm

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, MH Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
In response to jiejie,

1) everyone wants to sit at the front cabin, so Y is not an option. Besides I will not leave my friends sitting at the back while I'm at the front.

2) traveling on different day is an option, but ideally I would want to stick together for the 40 hour traveling experience. It would be my friend's first time in C, and I would like to accompany them rather than flying separately. The fun is traveling together.

3) if MH only releases 2 seats for redemption, then there's no point in buying an economy ticket then upgrade as it comes out of the same U class bucket. So there won't be any seat to upgrade to as we have already taken the original two.

Looks like I am just gonna have to be pay for 2 tickets.
If you have specific dates that you want to travel, then I would redeem the 2 C class seats now and wait to see if there are 2 more released further down the track. If you end up paying for the remaining 2 tickets, you wouldn't have to buy them until a bit closer to when you want to travel. That's how I would approach your situation anyway.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Yes @Mario33, because of your meanness and criticism I will now buy three tickets full fare in C to LAX now. But in MH long haul C cabin the level of full fare paying passengers is definitely not 90%.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 7:05 pm

Programs: various
I think it's definitely time to pray.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.