Wiki Posts
Search

How good is Lion Air?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2011, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

How good is Lion Air?

Doing some research on domestic Indonesian flights and came across Lion Air.
Does anybody have experience with them? Esp concerning seat pitch/inflight comfort, reliability, luggage allowance. TIA.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 12:33 pm

I took Lion Air in March 2010 from Solo to Mataram, with a quick s30 minute stopover in Jakarta. It was my devised way of getting to the Gili Islands as
quickly as possible.

1- I could not book on line. I called overseas to a Singapore call center
and managed to reserve my flight at a fixed price adverised provided
I pay in person as soon as I arrived in Kuala Lumpur

2-The agent in Kuala Lmpur culd not take credit card payment,but gave me a paper to present to the agent in Yogyakarta INDONESIA,where I finally got
my ticket and paid in cash.

3-Plane departure 1 hour late in Solo, leaving me 15 minutes to catch my connecting flight in Jakarta

4- arrival in Mataram but my luggage never gets there. After days waiting,
it is presumed lost for good,and I am told by administrationto give up hope, No compensation,,nothing

5-get a text in Bali 8 days later that they might have found my backpack.
They eventuall send it to Bali Airport ,for pickup,where certain items are missing Iam thrilled nonetheless,since the presumed loss and necessity to start buying new clothes depressed me and wrecked my stay in the Gillis

GOOD THING I KEPT MY VALUABLES(MONEY ,PASSPORT,CELL PHONE ETC) ON ME AND NEVER PACKED THEM WITH MY LUGGAGE
Old Oct 25, 2011, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply, jsohmer! Quite an experience.
How would you rate their equipment, seats?
Website says they're flying 737-900, which look rather new.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA Kryptonite
To paraphrase, "other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 3:25 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by jsohmer
GOOD THING I KEPT MY VALUABLES(MONEY ,PASSPORT,CELL PHONE ETC) ON ME AND NEVER PACKED THEM WITH MY LUGGAGE
Um, I thought that was commonsense and everyone did that.

EmailKid
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 6:35 pm

equipment and seats - nothing special- nothing terrible-did remember that the flight hostesses did speak a bit of English.

To Emailkid- Are you kidding? Still alot of naive travellers,or foolish people
making those mistakes, EVEN WHEN FOREWARNED
Old Oct 25, 2011, 6:45 pm

Programs: PR Premier Elite
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Thanks for the reply, jsohmer! Quite an experience.
How would you rate their equipment, seats? CGK.
Website says they're flying 737-900, which look rather new.
Planes are all brand new now (I 'think' they got rid of all the old MD-80's) but look kind of dingy for being new. Seats are very plain looking, seat pitch is tight but tolerable for short flights. English skill of the crew is often a little dubious. It's Indonesia, i don't check luggage on this carrier or any other.

In all, for a cheap short flight they are fine. Nothing to rave about but I have flown MANY MANY times worse in Indonesia. Most likely you won't die.

I havent got their web site to accept my credit card anytime recently. Once it did a few years back but never since.

They have glossy "prayer cards" in the seat back pockets with prayers in like 4 different languages and 6 different religions asking the relevant gods to please ensure the plane reaches its destination without crashing or anything. This has to be one of the awesomest things I have ever found in a seat back pocket. It says please do not remove from the plane but I HAD to keep one.

BTW. At CGK domestic they have a lounge adjacent to check-in outside security. On an economy ticket I bought into the lounge for 50,000 Rupia. Real price with a receipt given and everything, not a bribe-in. No booze but they had snacks and stuff and it beats sitting with the masses in CGK.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 7:35 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
To Emailkid- Are you kidding? Still alot of naive travellers,or foolish people making those mistakes, EVEN WHEN FOREWARNED
I was mostly referring to the sophisticated FT travelers, especially those here in Budget Travel

Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila
No booze
Then what's the point

Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila
and it beats sitting with the masses in CGK.
Oh @:-)

EmailKid
Old Oct 26, 2011, 6:59 am

Doing some research on domestic Indonesian flights and came across Lion Air.
Does anybody have experience with them? Esp concerning seat pitch/inflight comfort, reliability, luggage allowance. TIA.
Lion air famous for delay. So better stick with Garuda. Oh wait, this is budget forum, no?
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:33 am
Suspended

To Emailkid- Are you kidding? Still alot of naive travellers,or foolish people making those mistakes, EVEN WHEN FOREWARNED
I'd suggest anyone travelling to, from, or in Indonesia carry everything with them.

the Gili's without cloths sounds like my trip

Originally Posted by gaijinflyer
Lion air famous for delay. So better stick with Garuda. Oh wait, this is budget forum, no?
Garuda and Merpati aren't exactly tops either. It's Indonesia.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 9:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DownTheRappitHole
Garuda and Merpati aren't exactly tops either. It's Indonesia.
Would it surprise you if I rate GA equal if not higher than SQ ?

When was your last GA flight ?
Old Oct 27, 2011, 9:58 am

Programs: M&M Senator, SQ Gold, EK Gold, TK Gold, SPG Gold
1- I could not book on line. I called overseas to a Singapore call center
and managed to reserve my flight at a fixed price adverised provided
I pay in person as soon as I arrived in Kuala Lumpur
Should work over the Internet -> Way not ? You will have only the problem, that you must pay 24 hours before, otherwise you cannot pay with credit card (which is not from Indonesia)

3-Plane departure 1 hour late in Solo, leaving me 15 minutes to catch my connecting flight in Jakarta
Could also happen with any other airline. Normaly Lion air is mostly on time !

4- arrival in Mataram but my luggage never gets there. After days waiting,
it is presumed lost for good,and I am told by administrationto give up hope, No compensation,,nothing
It has normaly nothing to do with the airline -> Is is the handling stuff which loose your luggage!

5-get a text in Bali 8 days later that they might have found my backpack.
They eventuall send it to Bali Airport ,for pickup,where certain items are missing Iam thrilled nonetheless,since the presumed loss and necessity to start buying new clothes depressed me and wrecked my stay in the Gillis
Some answer as before -> Handling stuff not the air line

I would say: Lion Air is not really a bad airline. The planes are nearly all new. I would prefere Lion air in Indonesia!
Old Oct 28, 2011, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks all for the replies. Seems to come down to Lion (JT) or Garuda (GA).
Farewise GA is about 20 - 25% higher than JT on some the itineraries checked.
Not sure if GA is any better in case of lost luggage. JT sems to have a large fleet (172 per website) of fairly new 737-900s. We'll see.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 8:52 pm

Programs: PR Premier Elite
Thanks all for the replies. Seems to come down to Lion (JT) or Garuda (GA).
Farewise GA is about 20 - 25% higher than JT on some the itineraries checked.
Not sure if GA is any better in case of lost luggage. JT sems to have a large fleet (172 per website) of fairly new 737-900s. We'll see.
Air travel in Indonesia is inherently imperfect. But usually it works out ok in the end. If you demand first world standards you may disappointed no mater what you do. If you are properly attitude adjusted in advance you can't go wrong. For fussy types, I'd stick to Garuda. But it's worth noting even they have had a horrific crash more recently than Lion. Walking across a street in Jakarta is still more dangerous than even the worst Indonesian airline though.

BTW, if you want safety concerns about Lion . They have had several "tail strikes" on their brand new 737-900's. Nothing serious has come of any of them but they seem to have set a trend for that foible with the very "long" 737-900. I have also personally noted EXTREMELY long and fast takeoff rolls on Lion out of CGK. The only plausible explanation I could come up with is the planes must have been loaded to the hilt with cargo.

I just don't worry about such stuff and it all works out. Enjoy Indonesia. It's all good.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 10:18 pm

If the price difference isn't too important, I'd go Garuda. The legroom is better, the service is better, and you get food and drinks.

Lion Air's new planes are pretty tight for anybody of average (westerner) height.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.