Community
Wiki Posts
Search

China Eastern A340

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2011, 8:28 am
Original Poster

China Eastern A340

Anyone flown in J lately? How is the service, seats, etc. for longhaul (JFK-PVG)?
Old Oct 6, 2011, 11:44 am

Programs: DL DM/3MM, BA Prem/LG, AA CK, UA GS, Marriott Ambassador
Please tell us it's at least okay - I've got this booked twice in the next six weeks....
Old Oct 7, 2011, 12:05 pm

Programs: SPG platinum, Sixt platinum
Seating on their 340 is not bad, but I rate their services the worst out of the big 4 airlines in China...
Old Oct 8, 2011, 10:04 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Are the Business Class seats on the A340-600 lie-flat-at-an-angle seats? What other airlines' seats are they similar to-- Malaysia, Thai, Korean, China Airlines?

From what I can tell from photos on airliners.net, they look similar to Malaysia's.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 11:31 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
Are the Business Class seats on the A340-600 lie-flat-at-an-angle seats? What other airlines' seats are they similar to-- Malaysia, Thai, Korean, China Airlines?

From what I can tell from photos on airliners.net, they look similar to Malaysia's.
I've flown on their A330 and I believe that the seats are the same as the A340. They are lie-flat-at-an-angle, but quite hard. However, the recline seems better than many other similar seats.

And yes, I would say that they are very similar to MH seats, although, as mentioned, more firm.

No air vents, though.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 6:26 pm

Programs: OZ gold, DL Skymiles
I just booked a business award seats using Delta miles with China Eastern between JFK-PVG,PVG-BKK. I checked their reviews and it seems pretty bad to average. Can anybody tell me how's their catering and IFE. Most review I read so far tells me it is pretty average. I am planning to download some movies on my Ipad just in case. Also, how's their business class products overall? There aren't many reviews on business products. By the way, their web doesn't work so I have hard time finding out. Lastly, I heard that they cancel or delay their flights frequently. Is this true? I am a bit nervous since I have to make a connection in PVG. Any advice or info will be great!
Old Oct 13, 2011, 7:05 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
I've got one of those award tix too. I depart about two months from now. Will report then.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 11:13 am

Programs: OZ gold, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
I've got one of those award tix too. I depart about two months from now. Will report then.
that will be great! I am not flying until next April so this will help me. Looking forward to your TR Megatoplover.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

One other question, does anyone know how to get a list of movies showing on China Eastern? Their website doesn't have any info.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:14 am

Programs: BR Gold
Flew with their A340-600 in C about 6 years ago, a red-eye from BKK to PVG.

Hardware was ok, in fact, they "HAD" the longest "seat pitch" I've ever encountered (not sure if they still have the same type of seat though). It was the 2-2-2 config in C and when your seat mate is in full recline, you can still "walk" out to the aisle, instead of climbing over/ jumping out.

Slept during the flight hence won't be able to comment on the service.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 5:37 am

No, the A330 seats are NOT the same as the A340 seats- the A340's are a fair bit older and therefore have the old product. Fully flat beds in F only, not J.

Fly HU if possible- lie flat business class and nose to tail AVOD on all widebodies. They fly PEK-SEA and their fares are reasonable too.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 3:52 pm

Programs: VS Gold, IHG RA/Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Korgi
Seating on their 340 is not bad, but I rate their services the worst out of the big 4 airlines in China...
Why?

I can't see much difference among those four at all. I think it's all down to individual flight, I don't like HU because I had few bad experience with them (especially I rarely use them at all). For CA, CZ and MU, I really don't see much difference, especially in domestic F.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by MP (Miles+Points)
Why?

I can't see much difference among those four at all. I think it's all down to individual flight, I don't like HU because I had few bad experience with them (especially I rarely use them at all). For CA, CZ and MU, I really don't see much difference, especially in domestic F.
I would rate HU as the best Chinese airline on the ground and in the air. CA and CZ are both decent as well. I haven't flown MU as much as CZ or CA but I always felt they were a bit behind in their hard product. Pretty much no difference in service though, typically quite robotic and uninspiring.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 5:33 pm

HU is definitely the best Chinese airline by a country mile.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
HU is definitely the best Chinese airline by a country mile.
HU really "dresses up" to impress foreigners on long-hauls, but they aren't that much better than CA domestically.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.