Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Questions re Sri Lankan Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2011, 9:35 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by Descon86
Thanks for your reply. My intended flight with Sri Lankan airlines would be LHR-CMB. This would be approx 11hrs so seat pitch etc would be very important. IFE is not a priority. Pleasant crew and unhurried meals would also be on my list. I will keep checking in on the forums for any further threads
Thanks again and happy flying
This is a long flight, maybe one of the longest of Sri Lankan's routes, so it really would be good to get some input from multiple people who have specifically flown it. You can probably get seat pitch, width, and recline from comparative websites or from Sri Lankan directly. Try this: http://www.uk-air.net/seatpitch.htm
You may find that cost permitting, flying on a more comfortable airline to say, DXB or BOM or MAA would be worthwhile even with a connection, then switching to Sri Lankan for the shorter regional. Best of luck!
Old Feb 3, 2011, 9:51 am

Programs: AA PLT MM, BA, UA, AC
I've flown UL from CMB to MLE roundtrip. My main complaint about the CMB - MLE flight is that cabin was worn and the planes interior condition was poor, the service was good and the crew were helpful and courteous during the short flight. The aircraft was flying CMB - MLE - LHR. My return flight to CMB was on an aircraft in much better condition, I'm not sure where the plane had travelled from, again the cabin crew were good. On both flights passengers were served a meal and drinks.

Check if the UL flights you are looking at stop in MLE enroute, the views approaching MLE are spectacular. I would recommend a stopover in the Maldives if it's feasible, travelling in a float plane over the atolls is an amazing experience.

You do have other airline options for LHR to CMB, regardless of which airline you choose to fly look at flight times carefully a lot of flights in/out of CMB arrive/depart at unearthly hours.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 2:54 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Have flown Sri Lankan a number of times, although all of it has been very short runs between MAA - CMB - MAA. Found service standards to be very average, age showing a bit in the aircraft interiors. But flights have been more or less on time and no other major gripe..
Old Feb 9, 2011, 5:43 am

Many thanks. Happy flying
Old Feb 9, 2011, 5:48 am

Thank you. Due to circumstances beyond my control I am not able to use another airline on this route. I have flown quite a few Asian airlines in the past on long haul but Sri Lankan is a bit of a dark horse !!
Old Feb 9, 2011, 5:52 am

Many thanks.seat pitch is quoted as 32" but I always take this with a grain of salt !! I believe there isan option at check in to upgrade to premium economy but this is not available on initial booking for some obscure reason. I understand the cost is only about £50 per segment.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 9:48 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by Descon86
Many thanks.seat pitch is quoted as 32" but I always take this with a grain of salt !! I believe there isan option at check in to upgrade to premium economy but this is not available on initial booking for some obscure reason. I understand the cost is only about £50 per segment.
Probably PE has more legroom and more recline, even if meal service is same as Econ. Sounds like money well spent on a long-haul like this, and certainly will be in demand by other passengers. You should figure out now what it takes to get the upgrade--I find it hard to believe there's not a way to access these seats until check-in. When you've completed the flight, please report back to this thread when you have time. It would be nice to get some more first-hand data points on Sri Lankan especially the long hauls. Thx.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 4:29 pm

Programs: LH Sen, AF/KL gold, AB platinum, BA silver, HHonors diamond, SPG gold, ...
so far kept standards high

SriLankan (or Air Lanka as they were called when I started to fly on Tristars with them - unforgettably the rust-colored condebsation pouring onto my white shirt from overhead on take-off) is one of the airlines I have had my one or two flights per year due to lack of alternatives.
Don't get me wrong: inflight service and food are amongst the very best I know, which in deed can not be said about entertainment system or even less about seats.
But due to the political isolation of it's home country (and owner) and after EK pulled out of it (EY only hanging on as partner) I am still waiting for it to deteriorate. Not that I'm hoping for it. And I wish I would notice it in service before it affects safety. No, they are still very good from the passenger side I get to see. Hope it stays like this.
Only backdrop so far are the new A320s from soon to be Oneworld partner Kingfisher with seatbacks not able to recine even in business.
Fine airline! Would be a fine addition for every alliance if the political situation would not (for good reasons!) prevent this.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 4:46 pm

Programs: LH Sen, AF/KL gold, AB platinum, BA silver, HHonors diamond, SPG gold, ...
recommendable

As stated elsewhere, I can still recommend Srilankan (but still expecting them to deteriorate). Inflight service and food are very, very good, seating is clearly outdated.
Colombo airport is not a place you would want to spend time, but the lounge of Srilankan is very good (even offers massage).
Since Colombo is almost an hours drive (and for me not much to see) I would recommend to stay in Negombo beach area in case you have a longer stopover. The Taj Airport Garden is a 15mins drive away, but clearly below average. The Jetwing Beach is definitely superior, but a 30mins drive. Make certain your arrival and departure details are known and confirmed by either hotel in advance and plan another 20mins for check-in and check-out.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 7:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PaxCGN
Inflight service and food are very, very good, seating is clearly outdated.
I'd concur with this. They are by no means a great airline, but better than mediocre. Or maybe it's just US airlines are all bad
Old Jan 23, 2012, 5:23 am

Programs: BA Gold; Flying Blue Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Few questions

Hi, I have a few questions regarding SriLankan Airlines and hope the experts on FT can help.

We're flying from LHR to MLE with BA and then 4 hours later we have a connection with UL to CMB.

Since making the booking for myself and my wife she has unfortunately lost her passport. She now has a new passport but I had to enter passport numbers when I made the initial booking online. I've gone to the MMB section of the website but can't find anywhere to update passport details. Is this going to be a problem if the name is the same (and the citizenship)?

Secondly, when in MMB I'm trying to choose a seat but even though I've found the tab it's not giving me the option of doing this. I'm only flying in economy - is this option not possible for economy tickets?

Finally, does anyone know if you can buy upgrades at MLE to CMB? If so, any idea on cost to upgrade to say economy plus?

Thanks
Old Jan 25, 2012, 8:24 pm

Programs: TG,PR,UL
Baggage allowance in Biz is 40k, at least on the flights I've been on (a mix of LH and SH). Not sure about Y.

There are 3 types of business config on the A330-200,
1 plane ex-BMI with 18 Flat bed seats, old and according to reviews I've read not great in comfort terms but plenty of space etc.

1 plane with the new UL Biz seating that only came into service in Dec '11. Flat bed, buddy seat, AVOD, 79 Inch pitch. Supposed to be quite amazing. 18 seats I think as well.

4 planes with 12 old recliner, cream colour seats. Comfortable but old, aka from the emirates era.

So if you can get an 18 seat biz cabin on the flights will mean flat bed seats.

I'm due to fly to LHR in Mar/Apr, all scheduled to be on the 332 with 18 seats in biz, so I'm hoping its the new plane and there are no aircraft schedule changes.

The A340's were all similar whether blue or cream seats in biz, the blue (ex Air Liberte) were older but as comfortable, recliner seats on all.

There was 1 ex Cathay 340 still with the CX interior that was 8 F seats and 30 biz I think, all sold as biz class. I flew this to LHR last year and managed to snag an F seat so not sure what the biz seating was like. I haven't heard of this plane for a while so not sure if it's in service still or possibly being refurbed?

Last edited by chelseaboi; Jan 25, 2012 at 8:35 pm Reason: additional info
Old Jan 26, 2012, 1:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
I am flying the following sectors with the shown aircraft. Bookings are in Business class. The price is cheap. Any info on the seating? The flights won't be until June and August:

SIN-COL UL316 on A340-300
COL-DXB UL531 on A320
DXB-COL UL226 on A330-200
COL-SIN UL302 on A320

Thanks for any info. Yes, it is not as "posh" as BA, CX, etc but at this stage I am travelling by myself. I understand crew service is fine. I know about the overnight stop overs at COL
Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:30 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by silonic
Hi, I have a few questions regarding SriLankan Airlines and hope the experts on FT can help.

We're flying from LHR to MLE with BA and then 4 hours later we have a connection with UL to CMB.

Since making the booking for myself and my wife she has unfortunately lost her passport. She now has a new passport but I had to enter passport numbers when I made the initial booking online. I've gone to the MMB section of the website but can't find anywhere to update passport details. Is this going to be a problem if the name is the same (and the citizenship)?
Don't worry about it - the UL agents at the airport will be able to overwrite the original passport detiails.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:07 pm

Programs: TG ROP Gold EKSkywards Gold AF/KLFlying Blue PLAT SriLankan GOLD BW Diamond Hilton Gold
New Biz Seating

UL are upgrading the Biz seats on A330

Experienced this last week on CMB-DXB UL227

Good flatbed and perfectly comfortable

Only wish they would rotate the biz class menus more often

Service as always as far as I have experienced is great

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.