Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

CI begins process for full Skyteam membership (for reals this time)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2010, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat

According to this new blurb on Bloomberg: http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=a19zlrE3GdSs

Taiwan’s biggest carrier expects to join the SkyTeam alliance in two or three months, spokesman Hamilton Liu said by telephone
Will this finally push EVA to tie the knots with *Alliance?

Last edited by bzcat; Jul 9, 2010 at 2:39 pm
Old Jul 9, 2010, 3:11 pm

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
Originally Posted by bzcat
According to this new blurb on Bloomberg: http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=a19zlrE3GdSs

Will this finally push EVA to tie the knots with *Alliance?
Since I don't fly much with *alliance airlines these days, it would suit me if they don't... Though I suspect even if they do they will find ways to prefer their own members.

Last edited by jimbo99; Jul 9, 2010 at 11:51 pm Reason: typo
Old Jul 9, 2010, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I think it will be great opportunity see CI to joining into SkyTeam. I cant wait to see it. Is that full membership to became SkyTeam Alliance. I would considered BR will eventually to joins into the Alliance or not. If there will have a possible for EVA Air will have to made a decide to joining into SkyTeam or not.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by N830MH
I think it will be great opportunity see CI to joining into SkyTeam. I cant wait to see it. Is that full membership to became SkyTeam Alliance. I would considered BR will eventually to joins into the Alliance or not. If there will have a possible for EVA Air will have to made a decide to joining into SkyTeam or not.
I'll try to decipher your English...

Yes, CI is applying for full membership. It is already pretty much a Skyteam airline for all practical purposes (share lounge access, code share, EQM etc with DL/KE/CZ etc) just not officially.

BR has close relationships with most of the Star carriers, particularly NH, OZ and CO (lounge access, ground handling, code share etc). It also has code share relationship with NZ and AC so their entry into Star makes sense. It's just a question of whether they want to open up their frequent flyer base to all Star carriers.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 1:23 am
Suspended

Programs: CX,CI,BR. OW Emerald, *A gold
ST members really are airlines most people try to avoid due to poor levels of product and service. Even in *A you have SQ who are a mile ahead of the other members. THere is no way CX will allow BR into OW and I am sure SQ wont want BR in *A
Old Jul 10, 2010, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by taiwanfrequentflyer
ST members really are airlines most people try to avoid due to poor levels of product and service. Even in *A you have SQ who are a mile ahead of the other members. THere is no way CX will allow BR into OW and I am sure SQ wont want BR in *A
OW tried and failed to get MU. *A has CA. How much better do you rate these two airlines (CA & MU) over BR?

"Mile ahead" does not mean anything in term of coverage.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by taiwanfrequentflyer
I'm not sure why SQ would oppose BR's membership in *A. The only real overlap between SQ and BR are TPE-SIN and TPE-LAX. If BR and SQ go full blown code share on TPE-SIN, they could wipe out CI on that route. In fact, SQ and BR could probably both benefit significantly if they can coordinate the TPE-SIN schedule to feed into each other's long haul departures: e.g. BR to SIN and onwards with SQ to India/MEL/PER/OOL; or SQ to TPE and onwards with BR to LAX/SFO/SEA/HNL. SQ can then drop its own TPE-LAX service and redeploy the 777 on some other route.

BR in OW makes less sense because its existing close relationship/code share with NH, OZ, NZ, CO, and AC, which are all *A carriers. BR also has reciprocal ground handling agreement with CA, another *A carrier.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
SQ's TPE-LAX v.v. has been gone for a long time.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 12:52 am

I'm not sure why SQ would oppose BR's membership in *A. The only real overlap between SQ and BR are TPE-SIN and TPE-LAX. If BR and SQ go full blown code share on TPE-SIN, they could wipe out CI on that route. In fact, SQ and BR could probably both benefit significantly if they can coordinate the TPE-SIN schedule to feed into each other's long haul departures: e.g. BR to SIN and onwards with SQ to India/MEL/PER/OOL; or SQ to TPE and onwards with BR to LAX/SFO/SEA/HNL. SQ can then drop its own TPE-LAX service and redeploy the 777 on some other route.

BR in OW makes less sense because its existing close relationship/code share with NH, OZ, NZ, CO, and AC, which are all *A carriers. BR also has reciprocal ground handling agreement with CA, another *A carrier.

IIRC, SQ stopped flying TPE-LAX, or has it restarted again?
Old Jul 12, 2010, 12:50 pm

Programs: GE, AA PLT/2.6MM, BR Gld, Royal Carib. DM+, Celebrity Elite, NCL PLT, Princess Elite
For totally selfish reasons, part of me would want BR to join oneworld and part of me *. I'm a lifetime Platinum member of AA which equates to oneworld sapphire. My Diamond status on BR would mean that I would be back to emerald status in oneworld which I miss (when I dumped CX for BR, that is when my status dropped).

On the other hand, having *G would be a plus since I have no elite status currently on any * carriers.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Anything is rumor unless we see actual evidence since they have bad history on the schedule of retrofitting their cabins, so...

They have said the cabin retrofitting since Oct. 2008, then 2009, then 2010, now it's March 2011... and Skyteam since when.. 2004?
Old Jul 12, 2010, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by coolfish1103
Anything is rumor unless we see actual evidence since they have bad history on the schedule of retrofitting their cabins, so...

They have said the cabin retrofitting since Oct. 2008, then 2009, then 2010, now it's March 2011... and Skyteam since when.. 2004?
perhaps when there are only two airline alliances left on the planet? IMHO, there's no room for three..
Old Jul 13, 2010, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by coolfish1103
SQ's TPE-LAX v.v. has been gone for a long time.
So it has... I guess i haven't been keeping up. That makes BR in *A an even more compelling sale. So does SQ still fly to LAX daily via NRT? Or only the direct A345 premium service?

As to whether CI's application for Skyteam is a "rumor", it has been confirmed by multiple sources. This time it is actually happening. They wouldn't confirm the news for Bloomberg if it is not happening.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 12:58 am

So it has... I guess i haven't been keeping up. That makes BR in *A an even more compelling sale. So does SQ still fly to LAX daily via NRT? Or only the direct A345 premium service?

As to whether CI's application for Skyteam is a "rumor", it has been confirmed by multiple sources. This time it is actually happening. They wouldn't confirm the news for Bloomberg if it is not happening.
CI's spokeswoman spoke on camera confirming it. However, they don't seem to be in a hurry. (then again, when does CI ever do anything fast? )

As for BR, I honestly dont' believe it's products are quite up to the quality of other *A member airlines(i.e. SQ, NH, or even sometimes UA int'l).
Old Jul 13, 2010, 8:35 am

Programs: CI: Emer; CX: Sliver; DL: PM; PC: RA;
IF CI join ST, then there will be 4 ST in North East Asia: KE, CZ, MU, and CI.
What a competition.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.