Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BEWARE: Travelovocity Sucks!!!

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2008, 9:24 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
Am I the only one who liked Travelocity better when it was EZ SABRE?
I liked Easy Sabre. Text based and very easy to work with. Could look up fare class avail.

Don't care for Travelocity.
Old May 16, 2008, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
I've used Travelocity occasionally, for hotel (non-chain) and airfare purchases. Never had any problems.

Love the screaming crybaby thread title though. Yeah, one bad experience and therefore the whole company SUCKS!!! (And the misspelling "Travelovocity" just adds that little extra special touch.)
Old May 16, 2008, 1:12 am

Programs: AAdvantage Plat., WorldPerks, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Couldn't you have just booked the ticket on United, taken screen shots at travelocity and submitted for low fare guarantee.
Old May 16, 2008, 7:26 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Celebrity Cruises Elite Plus
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
Yeah, one bad experience and therefore the whole company SUCKS!!!

Well, if it'll help validate the OP's experience a little, I'll post a few of my own Travelocity woes.....

For starters, 99% of my travel is pleasure and descretionary, rather than business. I like booking through both Expedia & Travelocity because of their best rate guarantee programs. With regard to chain hotels, I don't do enough travel to get elevated to upper status levels in their frequent stay programs, so booking direct isn't a major necessity/advantage. As many know, both Expedia & Travelocity's BRG programs come with a $50 certificate for future bookings. I make good use of these certificates, especially since I'm paying out of pocket for my own personal leisure travel.

Comparing the BRG experience between Expedia & Travelocity is night-and-day difference. With Expedia, it's all handled over the phone in one call. You simply give the agent the website where you found the lower rate, they pull it up and verify, and you're done. With Travelocity, you fill out an on line claim form and submit. From that point it's anyone's guess how long it will take them to review your claim and reply back. I've had a few replies within 48 hours, but many that took five days or longer. Some where I never heard back at all. But processing delays aren't their only downfall. As anyone knows with BRG claims, your room type has to be an identical match (ie: king bed vs king bed). Many Marriott properties display basic "run of house" type rooms on their website. In other words, the room will be described as "deluxe - one king or two queen". This is a BRG dream situation as the room description leaves lots of "wiggle room". In my experiences, both Travelocity & Expedia list these accomodations exactly the same as found on Marriott's website. The first time I submitted a BRG claim w/Travelocity for a Marriott property, my claim was denied because Travelocity said the rooms were on different floors. I contacted the manager of the property and asked if the rooms Travelocity was selling were any different than Marriott.com to which he replied "no, they're all the same". I emailed Travelocity this information (it's impossible to call and get transferred from India to their BRG staff in San Antonio), along with the hotel manager's name, and they reluctantly honored the claim. Nice try, though, Travelocity.

In another example, again with a Marriott property, Travelocity was still selling the normal weekday rack rate over a holiday weekend (Thanksgiving) when Marriott was listing usual weekend price. Travelocity honored the claim no questions asked. However a month later (near Christmas), the exact scenario played out again at the same hotel, only this time Travelocity denied my claim saying the Travelocity rate was a different accomodation type than Marriott's "holiday rate". Again, aside from the suites, the rooms at this particular property are all 'run of house'. This time I simply didn't choose to fight w/Travelocity, so instead asked them to cancel my reservation without penalty because I was going to book directly with Marriott. They agreed to waive the $25 penalty, however it never came through on my credit card statement. Score one for Travelocity from someone who didn't choose to fight this time.

I've filed several successful claims with Expedia on Travelzoo rates. Travelzoo rates require clicking a link to the reservation screen from the web page describing the property and discount rate. Since the BRG program with Expedia is handled over the phone, you can literally walk the agent through the step by step process of verification. With Travelocity, I have no hope their people could accomplish the same without being spoon fed over the phone. A scenario that simply isn't available with Travelocity's BRG system. So I don't waste my time filing claims w/Travelocity against cheap Travelzoo rates!

I could list more examples of Travelocity's inefficiency and stupidity, but I've ranted long enough and we all get the picture!
Old Sep 15, 2008, 10:22 am
Original Member

Does anyone have any experience with hotel reservations with Travelocity? I booked 4 rooms for Nov and have called the hotel and they show no record of us and the confirmation code that Travelocity gave me to talk to the front desk is not recognized!

Travelocity tells me that 24-48 hours for a hotel to see reservation but the hotel tells me that it could be sent over a few weeks before? I've called the hotel several times but they still don't show us.. We have airline tickets and just want to confirm I have rooms...

Am I being paranoid? Any tips on how to work with Travelocity to get a better feeling that I have rooms? Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Yes, I have run into this before. I've never had a problem yet, was your stay prepaid?
Old Sep 15, 2008, 10:28 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Celebrity Cruises Elite Plus
Originally Posted by sggolf
Does anyone have any experience with hotel reservations with Travelocity? I booked 4 rooms for Nov and have called the hotel and they show no record of us and the confirmation code that Travelocity gave me to talk to the front desk is not recognized!

Travelocity tells me that 24-48 hours for a hotel to see reservation but the hotel tells me that it could be sent over a few weeks before? I've called the hotel several times but they still don't show us.. We have airline tickets and just want to confirm I have rooms...

Am I being paranoid? Any tips on how to work with Travelocity to get a better feeling that I have rooms? Thanks in advance.
How long has it been since you booked on Travelocity? And did Travelocity give you a hotel booking number in addition to the Travelocity Trip ID number?
Old Sep 15, 2008, 11:23 am
Original Member

Yes, this was prepaid reservation for four rooms that we booked on Sat. Yes, I did receive a hotel booking number along with Travelocity trip ID but the hotel doesn't recognize the confirmation number.

The reason I am a little nervous is we could only get this rate thru Travelocity, booking direct and on other sites cost 1.5x more $$. I called again and they said they were going to fax the hotel with information...I'll try calling again later today to follow up. Thanks so far...
Old Sep 15, 2008, 11:32 am

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
To start off - Continue to follow up...but I use consolidators for hotels quite often and this may be what Travelocity sold you. They wait until 48 hours prior to your stay to send information to the property. That way, if you change your mind, they don't have to have the hotel change arrival details since the rooms are bought by the company in advance. I've never had a problem but to be sure, it happens.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: united airlines
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
I've used Travelocity occasionally, for hotel (non-chain) and airfare purchases. Never had any problems.

Love the screaming crybaby thread title though. Yeah, one bad experience and therefore the whole company SUCKS!!! (And the misspelling "Travelovocity" just adds that little extra special touch.)
Thanks for your perspective KathyWdrf, dear. And glad to hear that on those occasions that you have used Travelocity for hotel and purchases, you never encountered problems. May your good luck continue. If it doesn't, however, be assured that you can return here to tell us about it and we will listen sympathetically.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 3:16 pm
Original Member

I've followed up with Travelocity and they said they would fax the information to the hotel (non-chain) and to call back in 1-1 1/2 hours. I followed up with the hotel a few hours later and the last reservation popped up in their system while I was on the call. They gave me different confirmation numbers, so, I'll cross my fingers that all works out well. Thanks again.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 5:04 pm

Programs: Miles N More, One World
My GF just purchased a ticket from Denver to Tucson for her son through travelocity, she printed the confirmation number and receipt email.

She checked her card activity today and it is only showing $7 charge from travelocity yesterday (tkt was purchased last thursday).

Is the rest of the charge for the fare coming soon or is it possible the same issue the OP had could happen here?

How should she handle this situation?
Thanks!

*** Please disregard post, account was debited ***

Last edited by Lufthomie; Sep 16, 2008 at 7:52 pm Reason: updated information

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.