Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Banned by BFT for No Reason! Huh???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Banned by BFT for No Reason! Huh???

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2005, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Rif Raf (Defrocked 1K), CO Lead (Former Plat), QF Bronze
Question Banned by BFT for No Reason! Huh???

I know Sheryl is quick to ban people, but....huh??? Although I've been a member for years, I haven't posted in the last couple of years, have never had a message deleted, and have never done anything to pi** off Sheryl, to my knowledge.

I was viewing her board a few days ago, but didn't post. But just tried to log on and got a message from EZ Board that I've been banned from both viewing and posting. EZ Board said to contact the Forum Administer but failed to mention Sheryl's email address.

I'm at a loss as to how I could pi** off Sheryl enough to ban me when I haven't been posting. I'm sure its gotta be a mistake, but I don't know how to contact Sheryl. Can someone here give me her email address, so I can get this straightened out???
Old Aug 29, 2005, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
It's possible that somebody with the same domain as yours (perhaps with your same company) was banned and you got caught up in the crossfire.

Of course, "no reason" is probably a better reason for a banning from BFT than many of us received.

You can always surf BFT using a proxy surfer and not risk the ire of Sheryl. www.megaproxy.com/ does the job quite nicely for free (click on the "TRY IT FREE" link).
Old Aug 29, 2005, 4:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
You don't need an anonymizer -- just delete the cookie. Here's how:

Many FlyerTalkers know that Biddingfortravel.com doesn't like to be criticized here at FT, or anywhere else for that matter. Its standard response is to ban you from its "community".

Our FT hero, dfwbob, noticed exactly how this ban is applied -- a disabling cookie. An anonymizer can get around the cookie, but an even simpler solution is to delete this cookie and set Internet Explorer to block all cookies from BFT.

To delete the cookie: 1) In Internet Explorer, on the Tools menu, click Internet Options. 2) On the General tab, click Settings, and then click View files. 3) Select the "ezboard" cookie, and then, on the File menu, click Delete.

To block future cookies from BFT, you need to set your privacy level to "low" or higher. To change your privacy settings 1) In Internet Explorer, on the Tools menu, click Internet Options. 2) On the Privacy tab, move the slider up for a higher level of privacy or down for a lower level of privacy. 3) Click the "edit" button in the "web sites" area. 4) type in "biddingfortravel.com" and click "block" 5) Say "nya nya nya nya nya nya, BFT!"

Tip your hat to dwfbob, who noticed the use of cookies for the banning.
Old Aug 29, 2005, 7:22 pm

good tip

dhuey,
Cool! It worked. I've been using her info via Proxy Surf since my banning (I posted a winning bid on Better Bidding and now they have all my allegience!) Nice because using a proxy doesn't always let you use the links as intended.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
I always wonder what practical effect some governments acheive by blocking certain sites.

It doesn't stop curious folks from accessing the same info - it just takes a tad longer.

BFT or any similar site only works if they get the level of traffic and posts to make it work effectively, and we accurate and up to date.

I never understood the logic behind the widespread bans I see reported here regularly, as it surely is a negative not a positive? I accept the reality Sheryl and Randy or any board owner can block whomever they choose, but the smaller the board's traffic, the more one needs those who can contribute.

Disclaimer, I use BFT when I bid PL, post there when I have a price to add to the database, and AFAIK have been been banned.
Old Sep 5, 2005, 8:42 am

just use her and support the other board

My IP address changes every few weeks. I have a broad band connection. Therefore my ban lasted about 3 days. Though I did access using anon proxies for those three days. I am banned from my company Citibank. SO are about 3000 other people who work in my building who share the Ip address SO I AM HAPPY ABOUT THAT. At least the B hurts herself.

Anyway, I have had a couple of my friends who work in my industry try to log in to my account from Fidelity, New york life and John Hancock.
I figure her ban on me cost them about 15 thosand potential customers at this point between these 4 locations. I suggest others do the same.

I now just access from home, and use and abuse and post on betterbidding.com.
Old Sep 5, 2005, 3:06 pm

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
Talking

Must be some bad sushi again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.