Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Do not book with Expedia or Priceline.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do not book with Expedia or Priceline.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2023, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by seawolf
Premium Economy cabin for MIA-DFW only exist on certain flights not all.
AA does not sell Premium Economy on the MIA-DFW route. Even if a particular MIA-DFW flight is operated with a widebody aircraft configured with Premium Economy seats, those seats will be made available to Main Cabin passengers who have access -- by virtue of paying or by virtue of status -- to "Main Cabin Extra" seats.

It's possible that a passenger who purchases a MIA-DFW-NRT-XXX ticket in Premium Economy will be given complimentary access to MCE seats on the MIA-DFW leg, but I'm not certain about that.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 5:03 am

I lost more than $7000 just last year as a direct consequence of booking flights on Expedia that I had to cancel (personal reasons). I learned in the process that buying on Expedia instead of directly from the airline not only complicates things (you can't manage many aspects of your flights on the airline's website, they just give you messages about "contact your travel agent") but your options and conditions are often worse than booking with the airline directly. My financial loss was due to the fact that Expedia was inserted in the middle between me and the airline, adding zero value but resulting in endless finger pointing (Expedia: the airline's policies don't allow us to do that. Airline: Talk to Expedia, since you booked through them, only they can do that), tickets that would normally be refundable, being non-refundable (at the same fare), and changes and refunds where allowed, taking forever, being incredibly complicated and in one case, losing my money entirely because Expedia made a stupid mistake. Oh, and don't even get me started how Expedia support agents are all talk no action - I was given conflicting information from different service reps, one making a mistake and the next one blaming me for it, lip service, promises, pretended understanding, promising follow-up assurances of things they would do, etc. but the only thing that was consistent was NEVER following up, NEVER keeping their promises and NEVER, ever solving anything, other than the most basic stuff - and even then a change that would take 2 minutes on the airline's websites becomes a 2 hour chat with an agent that has the IQ of a doorknob and takes 5 minutes to pull up your info and then 5 minutes each time you ask a question and they need to "look into it". They also made a ticket change last December on an international flight changing my flight from Business to Economy (and "verifying and confirming" that it was booked in Business... just for me to find out from the ticket change email that I got a free downgrade from Biz to Economy. And that one (and I am not exaggerating) took 7 hours (!!!) on the phone with them to fix it. They refused to fix it for 6.5 hours telling me that the only option was to give me a refund and then I would have to buy a new ticket (for double the price compared to my original ticket that they messed up), and then finally they fixed it in half an hour, but not until I screamed at them for an hour about it. Summary: NEVER, EVER will I book a flight on Expedia again, not if my life depends on it. Direct with airlines only. I fly internationally about 20-30 times a year and it made a world of difference to stop booking flights on Expedia. It's night and day. Last year, I booked all my flights on Expedia. Result: $7000 loss (could have been prevented by booking with the airlines), DAYS, yes, literally days on phone and chat with Expedia, i.e. a tremendous amount of money and time (= life) lost. This year, airline direct bookings only - almost everything is smooth, other than the occasional hiccup, which is quickly solved, no issues whatsoever. I still book hotels on Expedia, that works great. But flights - never again.
SPN Lifer, pudgym29 and italdesign like this.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 9:34 am

Case in point: Chat with Expedia support today t (unfortunately, I still have some flights that I booked with them last year). It clearly illustrates the incredible ineptitude and inefficiency of "Support" at Expedia. It took the agent 1 hour and 19 minutes to select a seat for me on one of my flights. I was able select seats for the other flights on the itinerary - took me less than 2 minutes each on the airlines' websites.

(Agent)
Hi! Thank You for contacting Expedia. My name is ****.
2:51 PM

hi

(Agent)
Hello.

I have a flight reservation. booking code is ******. passenger is ******* *********. I tried to change my airline assigned seat on the SIN-ZRH flight. I got an error on the airline's (Swiss) website. Can you help me change my seat selection?
2:52 PM

(Agent)
Certainly, I will help you with the seat assignment request.
2:52 PM

thank you
2:53 PM

(Agent)

I am checking on airline's website.
2:56 PM

I have already done that - it gives me an error
2:56 PM

(Agent)

kindly follow the link : https://shop.swiss.com/booking/manage-booking/retrieve

Enter the airline confirmation as ******, following the last name of the passenger.
2:57 PM

okay, what was my first message to you?

(Agent)

I am just checking it.

As per the airline, for following flights from :-

Auckland to Singapore - 6A - Request taken by airline, but yet to be confirmed by airlines.

Singapore to Zurich: No Seats

Zurich to Amsterdam - 3C - Confirmed as free of charge.
3:01 PM

that's the information I already know. that's why I contacted you. the “Singapore to Zurich: No Seats” part
3:02 PM

(Agent)

According to the airline, Online check-in opens 24 hours before departure and the policy may vary for partner airlines.
3:02 PM

I was not asking you about check-in. I was asking you to help me select my seat. It's a Business Class ticket with seat selection included in the price I paid.
3:03 PM

(Agent)

Could you let me know your preferences either : aisle or window.

(94.8 KB) Screenshot 2023-03-29 at 14.54.21.png

Upload successful

Can you check if any of the green colored WINDOW seats are available?
3:04 PM

(Agent)

I will try on the reservation system, further confirmation is subject to be confirmed as per the availability at airline's end.

OK

(Agent)

At this moment airline is showing error that cannot offer a seat for this flight segment. You may select your seat during Check-in.
3:08 PM

But I am still trying.

Your seat request from Auckland to Singapore was also rejected by airlines.

How can it be "rejected"? ADVANCE (i.e. NOT at check-in) seat selection is included in the ticket I paid for.
3:10 PM

(Agent)

Please note that a seat reservation, for free or against a fee, only state a choice for a seat characteristic (window, aisle) and not a dedicated number, hence the seat number assigned has a generic meaning only.
3:11 PM

Airline has their own policies to approve as per the availability and restricts as per the timings.

Let me retry.

Allow me few minutes.

"At this moment airline is showing error that cannot offer a seat for this flight segment. You may select your seat during Check-in." - This is the problem I contacted you to HELP me with. You are the travel agent I booked this ticket with, and the airline is giving me an error message. What you are telling me now (after 20 minutes of chatting) is exactly what I told you 20 minutes ago.
3:12 PM

And your canned answer about seat selection is INCORRECT.
3:12 PM

(Agent)

(42.5 KB) 72376008828000.JPG

Download successful
3:15 PM

I would like to advise I am here to help you.
3:16 PM

I can certainly understand the situation. But please be advised that we always advocate for flexibility for our travelers, but airlines often have strict rules and restrictions around their bookings that we're bound to as well, which are shared when you purchase a flight.
3:16 PM

Can you please quote the exact part of the fare rules for my ticket that states that I can only select the "characteristic" of the seat?
3:17 PM

Seat SELECTION means, that I can select a SPECIFIC seat. I have been flying for over 30 years, and never had anyone telling me such nonsense that "seat selection included" in a Business class ticket means something else than I can select my specific seat.

(Agent)

Further please refer the screenshot, airline just confirmed the seats for the flights from Singapore to Zurich: 5A

Zurich to Amsterdam: 3C

(Agent)

Yes, you can select the seats as its your right on purchasing any ticket. But the confirmation is completely subject to availability and restrictions under airline's policies.
3:18 PM

That is also incorrect
3:19 PM

I shared the confirmation for which I just received.

(Agent)

Rest assured I am trying to get the needful done.

Please stay in connect.

Anyway, can you email me a confirmation that shows the confirmed seats?

(Agent)

Sure. I will share the confirmation and these details has been just shared you in attachment.
3:20 PM

You can also recheck using the link: https://shop.swiss.com/booking/manage-booking/retrieve

Enter the airline confirmation as ******, following the last name of the passenger.
3:21 PM

We have already been there... IT DOES NOT WORK

This is all I see: “Select a seat

Singapore - Zurich

Unfortunately we cannot offer you a seat reservation for this flight segment."

(Agent)

Further, please allow me few more minutes to check if could get the seats on the flight from Auckland to Singapore.

I DO NOT need you to do anything with the AKL-SIN flight. I already selected my seat for that flight. I need you to help me select a seat on the SIN-ZRH flight
3:22 PM

You said 5A was "confirmed" but I didn't ask for 5A. I sent you a list of seats I asked you to check for availability.
3:23 PM

(Agent)

It's my job to give you the clear information to avoid any last minute hassle during the travel.

You are NOT giving me clear information. You are giving me INCORRECT information.

(Agent)

Further I can see the seats mentioned in the attchement.

Advance seat selection is INCLUDED with my ticket. But I got an error, that's why I contacted you.
3:24 PM

(Agent)

Can you use the link : https://shop.swiss.com/booking/manag...g/confirmation ?

Enter the airline confirmation as ******, following the last name of the passenger
3:24 PM

OK, for the FOURTH TIME: I TRIED WHAT YOU ARE ASKING ME TO DO. IT DOES NOT WORK. I TOLD YOU 3 TIMES BEFORE, I AM TELLING YOU FOR TH 4TH TIME NOW.
3:26 PM

(Agent)

I have a word with the airline and same just confirmed seats.
3:27 PM

I am sharing you the details.

Okay, What is the error? Can you share the details attaching the screenshot please?

I already sent you that too. Are you even reading what I am sending you?
3:28 PM

Here is is AGAIN:
3:29 PM

"Select a seat

Singapore - Zurich

Unfortunately we cannot offer you a seat reservation for this flight segment."

(Agent)

I am not able to see any attchment.

Please advise are you able to retrieve the attachment send by me on chat?
3:30 PM

(31.9 KB) 72376008828000.JPG

Kindly get the attachment open.

yes, I have seen that. It's an attachment you sent me. Are you not able to see your own attachment?

(Agent)

I am able to see what I am sending you in attachment.
3:31 PM

OK, then what is your question?
3:31 PM

(Agent)
The seats are reflecting now in all the flights.
3:32 PM

And this addresses your primary question.

Here is what I replied to that 10 minutes ago:

You said 5A was "confirmed" but I didn't ask for 5A. I sent you a list of seats I asked you to check for availability.

(Agent)

It is available for now.
3:33 PM

I sent you a screen shot with specific seats I am interested in. They are 4A 9A 14A 16A 8K 10K 12K 15K 17K

5A was NOT on my list, because it is a BAD seat.

(Agent)

Apologize, but I haven't received the attachment as screenshot.

Can you please resend?

sure
3:34 PM

(94.8 KB) Screenshot 2023-03-29 at 14.54.21.png

Upload successful

(Agent)

I will speak with airline and check if the requested seat available.

I just received the attachment.

(Agent)

Okay, I will surely try to get it confirmed if available to be confirmed by airline at this moment.
3:35 PM

Thank you
3:36 PM

(28.4 KB) 72376008828000.JPG
3:41 PM

I am not getting the seats as per the request mentioned above.
3:42 PM

17 A is available , but its not green window seat.'
3:43 PM

Some of the above mentioned seats including in list as:

Chargeable : 4A, 9A , 16A , 10K , 15K , 17K

Not Available : 14A, 8K, 12K
3:45 PM

I see
3:46 PM

how about 5K?

or 4K? or 11A?

(Agent)

4K is showing as not available and 5K as chargeable.
3:47 PM

(Agent)

(27.8 KB) 72376008828000.JPG

Download successful
3:49 PM

11A is Chargeable.
3:49 PM

Better would be if you want to purchase the chargeable seats or confirm the available seats as per the request, you can directly connect with airline at 1-877-359-7947.
3:50 PM

OK, I'm looking at the seat map you sent. Give me a moment.

(Agent)

Sure.

Can you please send me the seat map of the entire business class section? You only sent me a screen shot of rows 4-11, but the biz cabin is rows 4-17
3:52 PM

(Agent)

Let me send you the seat map as per the current availability.
3:52 PM

thank you
3:53 PM

(Agent)

(43.2 KB) 1.JPG

Download successful
3:54 PM

First screenshot is from row 4 to 9
3:54 PM

(49.8 KB) 2.JPG

Download successful
3:55 PM

thank you

(Agent)

Second screenshot from row 7 to 17.

You're welcome!
3:56 PM

checking it now
3:58 PM

(Agent)

Okay. I am here waiting for you.
3:58 PM

Can you select 16K for me please?
4:00 PM

(Agent)

Okay.
4:01 PM

I will positively share you the confirmation as well.
4:02 PM

Kindly stay in connect.

Thank you

(Agent)

It's truly my pleasure to get the opportunity to help you today.
4:04 PM

(43.1 KB) 72376008828000.JPG

Download successful

I got it confirmed.

Great, thank you!

Can you also send me a confirmation email showing the seat selection?
4:05 PM

(Agent)

Auckland to Singapore : 6A

Singapore to Zurich : 16K

Zurich to Amsterdam : 3C

Yes, I am trying to get the confirmation to be send directly from airline website.

great, thank you
4:06 PM

(Agent)

I have send you the confirmation email at ******@********** with the seat numbers.
4:08 PM

great, thanks!

(Agent)

Could please check and confirm?

Hope I am able to address all your questions. Can I help you with anything else?

yes, I received it
4:09 PM

no thanks. I'm all set

4:10 PM
Old Apr 3, 2023, 5:32 pm
Formerly doc4science

Programs: United Airlines Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by F1.Cullen
I pray it all works out for you and that there are no schedule changes, cancellations, etc.

Best of luck!
aaaaaaand it's beginning to fall apart... 1 schedule change so far... not sure what I was thinking when I booked this mess and broke my number 1 rule: don't use OTAs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.