Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Do not book with Expedia or Priceline.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2022, 10:04 am

So much work for nothing. It's not easy being a troll lol
Old Sep 5, 2022, 10:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tr3k
So much work for nothing. It's not easy being a troll lol
I appreciate being put through the intellectual workout, even *I* usually learn something new. 😆

Troll me anytime 👍
Old Sep 5, 2022, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Ghoulish
I appreciate being put through the intellectual workout, even *I* usually learn something new. 😆
Sorry to hear that.

Troll me anytime 👍
Sure thing.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tr3k
Sorry to hear that.

Sure thing.
Not getting the last word seems to really bother you 😂
Old Sep 5, 2022, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by Ghoulish
Not getting the last word seems to really bother you 😂
del

P.S. I apologize. My kids are about your age, so this style of conversation is quite familiar and elicits an appropriately customary response. Will do my best to only reply to the point going forward.

Last edited by tr3k; Sep 5, 2022 at 3:51 pm
Old Sep 5, 2022, 3:57 pm

[QUOTE=Ghoulish;34573770]Any airline operating in the US not offering refunds within 24 hours of booking* would be breaking long standing US law.

NOT if they instead were offering a 24 hr Hold on pricing. That may be unusual, possibly even non-existent in the market at present..but airlines certainly CAN offer that instead of 24 hour cancellation/refund without breaking any laws.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by trooper
NOT if they instead were offering a 24 hr Hold on pricing. That may be unusual, possibly even non-existent in the market at present..but airlines certainly CAN offer that instead of 24 hour cancellation/refund without breaking any laws.
El Al is at least one such case.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 10:36 am
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Another time to use Expedia or another reputable OTA is for booking flights on airlines whose website is broken or customer service is even worse than the OTA.

Trying to book on Air India a couple years ago comes to mind, although I don't know what their website is like now.

(I actually came to this thread to find/confirm that the 24-hour cancellation does apply on Expedia even when it doesn't with the airline, so thank you!)
seawolf likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 11:13 pm
Formerly doc4science

Programs: United Airlines Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I try to avoid OTAs at all cost, but gave in today and booked two.

I needed tickets on Jazeera Airways and their website wouldn't take my American VISA/MC, but Booking dot com did. Not super happy an OTA was needed, but its nice that I can use them to book an otherwise unpurchaseable ticket.

I also was booking a flight on Air Astana. Their website: $700/ticket, Expedia: $300. Fully flexible ticket on both sites and in this case Expedia is the clear winner.

Maybe I'll change my mind when I go to fly these tickets, but OTAs seem like they can be useful in some situations.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 7:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by doc4science
I try to avoid OTAs at all cost, but gave in today and booked two.

I needed tickets on Jazeera Airways and their website wouldn't take my American VISA/MC, but Booking dot com did. Not super happy an OTA was needed, but its nice that I can use them to book an otherwise unpurchaseable ticket.

I also was booking a flight on Air Astana. Their website: $700/ticket, Expedia: $300. Fully flexible ticket on both sites and in this case Expedia is the clear winner.

Maybe I'll change my mind when I go to fly these tickets, but OTAs seem like they can be useful in some situations.
I pray it all works out for you and that there are no schedule changes, cancellations, etc.

Best of luck!
Old Mar 19, 2023, 9:08 pm

Programs: AMEX
Originally Posted by honzeek_cz

They do refuse to follow rules published by the airline. Which I think is bigger than usual travel mess now.

I felt like this is something worth sharing explicitly. I have used OTA either due payment processing issues on airlines sites, ability to price complex tickets etc, however until (my very productive 😊 ) today, I have not learned such thing for various agents at various OTAs which my, or maybe not, has been know to community. Better twice then never.

I had disagreement about interpretation, which was usual situation and when escalated to the airline, usually it was solved. However, after two unsuccessful attempts of not so complicated cases, I started asking questions, only to learn that within those 2-3 hours on call, no one care to confirm with the airline as “we are not allowed to call the airline without management approval.” So I inquired to get approval and in response was told the supervisor again did not give approval to escalated, clearly despite the disagreement that can only be approved by the airline TA support desk.

thank you for your sharing. we were going to use one of these for our trip to Cancun. Now we are going to look into AMEX Travel.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Do yourself a favour and book directly with the airline if possible (rather than AMEX or an OTA). You will not regret it if you need to rebook or have schedule changes/cancellations.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 1:53 pm

Programs: AK 75K (fFormerly 100K for one year), DL Silver (formerly DM) for 10 years, Delta MM, AA
Booked via Expedia

Any suggestions, I booked a ticket to Asia via Expedia on JAL, using American Airlines metal from MIA to DFW and HAN. The ticket is in premium economy, but I was booked in PE only for the long flight from DFW to HAN return and booked in regular economy the other legs. I haven't flown yet, but am traveling next week.

Would this issue properly be taken up with the airline (AA or JAL) or with Expedia? I'm crediting the miles as partner to Alaska Air, hopefully all goes well. JAL won't let me access the flight info its app since I booked through an OTA.

By the way, I flew economy on Aer Lingus in Z class from MIA to Dublin and got zero miles credited.

Thannks!
Old Mar 24, 2023, 4:25 pm

What made you think AA offer Premium Economy on MIA-DFW?

What "issue" exists?
seawolf, SPN Lifer and bpe like this.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 4:36 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Do you know for a fact that Premium Economy cabin even exist all segments intra-Asia? Since you mention JL, I'm guessing the itinerary is MIA-DFW-NRT/HND-HAN. Premium Economy cabin for MIA-DFW only exist on certain flights not all.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.