Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Airline cancelled long haul flight, agent wants to charge me their fees [Travelpak]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airline cancelled long haul flight, agent wants to charge me their fees [Travelpak]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2020, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

I booked LHR > CEB return back in March departing 1 Sep 2020, and the airline cancelled the flight.

I booked through Travelpak online, and they cannot get a replacement flight on alternate dates, so I asked for a refund.

Travelpak say I agreed to their T&C’s that allows them to make a charge of £29.50.

This doesn’t sit right with EU regulations on the CAA website that says the pax is entitled to a refund, and the Consumer Rights Act 2015 sections 48-57 that states a “trader” may not waive a consumer statutory rights in a contract for services when the performance of the service relies on the traders own free will.

Does anyone know if the passenger is really liable for this charge?
Old Aug 13, 2020, 2:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Did you agree to the fee before payment? If you did, then the TA need not issue a refund as the TA has performed its service, e.g. issuing a ticket.

EC 261/2004 does entitle you to a refund of the ticket price when the operating carrier cancels. Although you do not say it explicitly, I take it that there is no problem with the ticket refund. The Regulation does not speak to TA's and private contracts one chooses to enter into with them.

If you had booked directly with the carrier, there would have been no fee and if for some reason there were one, it would be refunded.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 4:02 pm

Yes you'll have to pay that agent fees for using their services (in booking the original ticket, which they did successfully).

I've had to pay $20 or so to priceline/expedia etc at times to cancel a fully-refundable ticket booked with them (pre-covid). I was aware of those fees when booking (I had my reasons for using the agent for the $20 fees vs the airline directly without fees).
SimProgrammer and Often1 like this.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SimProgrammer
I booked LHR > CEB return back in March departing 1 Sep 2020, and the airline cancelled the flight.

I booked through Travelpak online, and they cannot get a replacement flight on alternate dates, so I asked for a refund.

Travelpak say I agreed to their T&C’s that allows them to make a charge of £29.50.

This doesn’t sit right with EU regulations on the CAA website that says the pax is entitled to a refund, and the Consumer Rights Act 2015 sections 48-57 that states a “trader” may not waive a consumer statutory rights in a contract for services when the performance of the service relies on the traders own free will.

Does anyone know if the passenger is really liable for this charge?
Just to understand: What was the value of your ticket (vs. the 29.50)?
PS: nice to see you back!
Old Aug 14, 2020, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Its £29.50 charges for a £508 airfare.

I'll have to swallow it and it's up to 10 weeks to get refunded.

I just wondered if there was a workaround.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 7:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The workaround is to ask the TA to refund its fees as a courtesy. If you are a good customer, it might.

Your opaque third-party vendor is unlikely to do so. One more reason to avoid outfits such as this like the plague.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by SimProgrammer
Its £29.50 charges for a £508 airfare.

I'll have to swallow it and it's up to 10 weeks to get refunded.

I just wondered if there was a workaround.
That is nothing when you are getting essentially a full refund. I hate to say but you agreed to the fees before. My Father and I cancelled a Tour and we were out $100 Admin Fees for both of us you win some you lose some. If one could not afford to lose $100 then why are they booking a $3,500 package or $500 airfare in the first place without researching booking fees?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.