Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Expedia tickets invalid for 10 ppl tomorrow to Africa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Expedia tickets invalid for 10 ppl tomorrow to Africa

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2019, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Hopefully, this is a learning lesson not to book via Third Parties (Expedia, etc). Book directly with the airline to avoid such hassles. Glad it got worked out.
alexj7 and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm confused. Was there a schedule change? If not, why did the tickets need to be reissued? It sounds like DL just generated a new ticket number but nothing else changed and you didn't even lose seat assignments in the process. Did Expedia issue the tickets originally but later decided (for no valid reason) that MCT was violated and then fail to try to "fix" the (non)issue by changing the itinerary and tickets?
Yeah this pretty much. I never lost the seats but I definitely could not check in. If I had shown up to the airport unaware I definitely would’ve missed the flight.

There was a very slight change of 10min, but it made the tight connection shorter.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by cslovacek
Hopefully, this is a learning lesson not to book via Third Parties (Expedia, etc). Book directly with the airline to avoid such hassles. Glad it got worked out.

people keep saying this but i've booked on travelocity before and you can save A LOT of money when you bundle air/hotel. for example i needed to fly to london last year and a regular J ticket was about $4k on delta. if i booked it as a travelocity travel package with a one night hotel stay (which i did not use) it was only $2400 for the same exact DL ticket. we're not talking about saving a few dollars here..
alexj7 and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by omaralt
people keep saying this but i've booked on travelocity before and you can save A LOT of money when you bundle air/hotel. for example i needed to fly to london last year and a regular J ticket was about $4k on delta. if i booked it as a travelocity travel package with a one night hotel stay (which i did not use) it was only $2400 for the same exact DL ticket. we're not talking about saving a few dollars here..
In that case what you have is a BULK ticket. Those are only sold by TA. If theres an issue (other than DoD IRROPS) it must be handled by TA. They cant be taken over by airline, as they did for OP. You'll also be limited to rebooking (again other than DoD IRROPS) to what the TA offers.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
In that case what you have is a BULK ticket. Those are only sold by TA. If theres an issue (other than DoD IRROPS) it must be handled by TA. They cant be taken over by airline, as they did for OP. You'll also be limited to rebooking (again other than DoD IRROPS) to what the TA offers.
ya i realize that. and i had a big issue recently with a family trip to spain; but at the end it was resolved and we saved about $2k for the 4 of us. but we've also never had problems before. so for me, it is worth the risk
Old Jul 25, 2019, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by alexj7

Yeah this pretty much. I never lost the seats but I definitely could not check in. If I had shown up to the airport unaware I definitely would’ve missed the flight.

There was a very slight change of 10min, but it made the tight connection shorter.
Understand you're on same flights, but were they booked using the same two letter airline code? Or did they swap out codesjare flight numbers?

Regardless Expedia should've never been asking for more money. This was it sounds a routine schedule change. Not sure how they messed it up.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Mine was a bulk ticket. Delta said they would’ve taken control sooner had it not been a bulk ticket. That’s why I had to go further up the chain for approval.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Understand you're on same flights, but were they booked using the same two letter airline code? Or did they swap out codesjare flight numbers?

Regardless Expedia should've never been asking for more money. This was it sounds a routine schedule change. Not sure how they messed it up.
Codeshare flights stayed the same best I can tell. Never asked for more money though. The dollar amounts I posted were just if I wanted to keep my schedule in Africa and book my own tickets as a last resort via Qatar or LH or whatever.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 12:50 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Next time also consider Delta Vacations. Even though they're a third party TA (MLT, I think?), their systems integrations with Delta is seemingly better, and they'll match another OTA's price.
alexj7 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.