Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Expedia tickets invalid for 10 ppl tomorrow to Africa

Old Jul 24, 19, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Have ten people booked on an African safari. Booked tickets in J via expedia in Aug 2018.

Can't check in in Delta despite confirmed seats and eTicket numbers for all since Aug 2018.

Expedia says nothing they can do, will have to cancel and pay for new flights ($$$$). No flights left.

Apparently there was a flight change that broke mct (it did not according to Delta). Tickets are lost but still show confirmed seats and eticket numbers.
Old Jul 24, 19, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Also this only affects 8. Somehow 2 passengers were able to checkin on same flights and get boarding passes,
Old Jul 24, 19, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by alexj7 View Post
Expedia says nothing they can do, will have to cancel and pay for new flights ($$$$). No flights left.
Push harder. Expedia is exactly where you need to push.
Old Jul 24, 19, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung View Post
Push harder. Expedia is exactly where you need to push.
They're offering two days from now due to availability, Obviously a problem due to the whole safari thing
Old Jul 25, 19, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Also this only affects 8. Somehow 2 passengers were able to checkin on same flights and get boarding passes,
This means Expedia didn't reissue all the tickets.

FWIW, MCT can differ for same flight depending on which airline is marketing it. Ie DL7933 is operated by KE648. MCT though is determined by DL code as that's how it's sold.
Old Jul 25, 19, 5:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As you noted in your other thread, which has now been Closed due to violation of FT's cross-posting rules, the connection now violates DL's MCT. Whether that is an error and whether other carriers sell the connection is irrelevant. Similarly, because you booked through Expedia, it falls to Expedia to reissue the tickets.

If DL says that the tickets can be reissued and Expedia says that it cannot due to MCT, do a three-way call so that the factual issue is resolved. If indeed this is a DL MCT issue and the tickets can be reissued under an AF codeshare, ask Expedia to do that. If this cannot be resolved, you face the question of next best alternative and then dealing with Expedia and travel insurance after the fact. Only you know what the priorities are. Bear in mind that Expedia people are trained, even at more senior levels, to simply default to the next flight or whatever. Creative solutions such as reissuing under an AF codeshare to beat the MCT is not part of their thinking. Do bear in mind that while the short MCT is a potential solution and you will be rebooked in you misconnect, it is still somewhat suboptimal in terms of result.

For the sake of others, the lure of savings continues to lead people to book through third-party opaque vendors. They are great when it all works. When things go wrong, you are stuck with them. If booked through DL, DL would have fixed this in minutes and it would have been back when it occurred.
Old Jul 25, 19, 6:14 am

I suspect if travel is tomorrow (today?) the tickets are under DL control and they can reissue the ticket.
Old Jul 25, 19, 6:32 am
Original Poster

They fixed 2 of 8 tickets. Waiting on last 6 still. At least I know it can be fixed. Delta's hold times aren't helping, it's taking Expedia an hour to get through to Delta every time. They were two reservations but the exact same reservation, just 2 tix on one and 6 on another.
moondog and MrM2016 like this.
Old Jul 25, 19, 6:56 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
They fixed 2 of 8 tickets. Waiting on last 6 still. At least I know it can be fixed. Delta's hold times aren't helping, it's taking Expedia an hour to get through to Delta every time. They were two reservations but the exact same reservation, just 2 tix on one and 6 on another.
This is good progress. What did they do to the two to "fix" them? Reissue them under AF flight numbers?

I get the savings thing. I booked through Expedia once and it became a huge pain to coordinate with the group and DL. But it can be done. Sounds like you're the trooper of the group to get it done
Old Jul 25, 19, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by btonkid12345 View Post
This is good progress. What did they do to the two to "fix" them? Reissue them under AF flight numbers?

I get the savings thing. I booked through Expedia once and it became a huge pain to coordinate with the group and DL. But it can be done. Sounds like you're the trooper of the group to get it done
I'm not sure since Expedia won't let me listen in. They've been just calling me back ever hour. The problem is I got this latest agent at 6 AM, she fixed the two by 6:30 AM, and now she just called me again at 9 AM saying she's still working on it.

I found full Y tickets for $16k that would work. I paid about $6k for these 6 J tickets.

Hopeful it gets resolved but I just added 10 years to my age overnight
Old Jul 25, 19, 10:21 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
To btonkid's question - you should see what they're doing on the new tickets as they come through. Are the flights (numbers or actual) changing? Rerouting through EU? Move you to SA?
Old Jul 25, 19, 10:42 am

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a free agent
Gotta push expedia to resolve it (and that they eat any associated costs).

I bought a ticket for a friend to fly ATH-MXP-NRT-MXP-ATH in discount economy. Travelocity messed up the ticket issuance. Travelocity ended up having to pay for a full fare business class ticket for ATH-FCO-NRT-FCO-ATH.
Old Jul 25, 19, 11:43 am
Original Poster

All tickets are reissued and valid. I got desperate and worked my way up at Delta by knowing what to say. Finally got a manager to take control as a courtesy (so so grateful - got his name to write an email). Expedia was useless, havenít heard from them past 2 hours.

This was while in the car on the way to airport...my poor poor nerves.
SEA-Flyer and onanisland like this.
Old Jul 25, 19, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TBD View Post
To btonkid's question - you should see what they're doing on the new tickets as they come through. Are the flights (numbers or actual) changing? Rerouting through EU? Move you to SA?
They were reissuing the same flights. So in the end we still have exact same itinerary and seats.

Expedia clearly has a computer issue that wasnít reporting mct properly. Delta didnít want to make a mark on the ticket for Expedia that itís valid (they wouldnít because it was valid - howís that for fun). I pushed Delta to make the mark anyway for Expedia, thatís what got me to the right people who ended up grabbing control of the reservation.

Now hereís to hoping I make the connection
Old Jul 25, 19, 12:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm confused. Was there a schedule change? If not, why did the tickets need to be reissued? It sounds like DL just generated a new ticket number but nothing else changed and you didn't even lose seat assignments in the process. Did Expedia issue the tickets originally but later decided (for no valid reason) that MCT was violated and then fail to try to "fix" the (non)issue by changing the itinerary and tickets?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: