Community
Wiki Posts
Search

priceline bidding feature gone?

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2017, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

priceline bidding feature gone?

Tried to use the Priceline hotel bidding feature today for Los Angeles and there was no corresponding button on the webpage. Call the company and they said that simply because there were no available hotel products in that market.. That sounded awful strange to me so I logged on to New York City and again there is no bidding button, just their express deal button.

What's going on?
Old May 16, 2017, 4:39 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
I found this when using the app or mobile site recently, but was able to force the desktop version where Name Your Own Price still works from the front page. There are definitely changes afoot though as the link to NYOP has gone from the Express Deals results page, as well as the map version of Express Deals. This is annoying as I use Express Deals to get a ballpark idea of where to start bidding, and in which zones.
Old May 17, 2017, 7:52 am

I still show it as an option on the Iphone app. I think they are trying to phase the NYOP out. Also I have found that if it does not appear on the page. On the desktop site, I have always found it as a link at the very bottom of the page under "Our Products"
Old May 18, 2017, 6:23 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ente_09
Tried to use the Priceline hotel bidding feature today for Los Angeles and there was no corresponding button on the webpage. Call the company and they said that simply because there were no available hotel products in that market.. That sounded awful strange to me so I logged on to New York City and again there is no bidding button, just their express deal button.

What's going on?
I still see the bidding option on the homepage on the desktop site and on the iOS app.

While it's been clear for a while to me that they are trying to migrate away from NYOP customers, they haven't yet cut it off entirely. As long as Hotwire does what it does, I don't see what Priceline has to gain by cutting off NYOP customers -- that is unless the margins/returns are better by transitioning NYOP customers into a more hotwire-like experience.
Old May 21, 2017, 4:47 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Originally Posted by GUWonder
As long as Hotwire does what it does, I don't see what Priceline has to gain by cutting off NYOP customers -- that is unless the margins/returns are better by transitioning NYOP customers into a more hotwire-like experience.
It wouldn't surprise me at all if the margin is better (possibly much better) with the Hotwire-esque product than the NYOP one. With very rare exception, Express Deals are usually a higher price than the same hotel through NYOP, and I imagine any costs involved are pretty much a wash between the two methods.
Old May 22, 2017, 5:44 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by lo2e
It wouldn't surprise me at all if the margin is better (possibly much better) with the Hotwire-esque product than the NYOP one. With very rare exception, Express Deals are usually a higher price than the same hotel through NYOP, and I imagine any costs involved are pretty much a wash between the two methods.
That's why NYOP has a very limited future. As it is already, NYOP rates including Priceline fees often makes the consumer's cost higher on Priceline than for a comparable (or even the same) property on Hotwire.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.