Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Australia - OTAs Can No Longer Enforce Price Parity

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2016, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Bronze

Just a heads up for people headed this way booking accommodation through places like booking.com, Expedia etc.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission have recently ruled that OTAs cannot enforce the unfair price parity they have insisted on.

Take the time to look for the establishments own website, email or call direct and you should get a better price or some other incentive to book direct.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 8:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Yeah, tried that, but the hotels often couldn't do better than discounted rates on OTAs, despite what the hotel said before showing them the rate. Then you add in the hassle of having to call the property and having to find someone with the authority to offer a lower rate.

Cheers,

Doc
Old Nov 28, 2016, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
My experience is the same. When you approach the hotel directly asking for a lower rate or at least to match the rate of the OTA, the answer will essentially be: Book with the OTA, we can't match or lower the rate this much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.