Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

What Determines Which Airline Issues a Ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2016, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Hey everyone, my question is with regards to the 3 numbers at the beginning of a ticket number indicating which airline issued it. Obviously if you book a United flight on the United website you'll be issued a United ticket. But what if:

1. You book say an Air Canada ticket through the United website?
2. You book a flight with multiple segments, say one operated by United and another by ANA, through a third party site such as FlightHub?

Thanks in advance.
Old May 22, 2016, 9:08 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
The answer to your first question is definitely it would be a united ticket (016) if booked on united.com. I just booked a journey entirely on SN through united.com so that I could get an 016 ticket and earn PQD.
Old May 22, 2016, 9:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The old rule that travel agents followed and that is often followed today is that the ticket is issued on the ticket stock of the airline for the first significant segment. For example, a TATL/TPAC segment would count on international itineraries but not domestic connecting segments or intraEU/intraAsia if there are longhaul segments on the same itinerary.
Old May 23, 2016, 6:33 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
OTAs book me on European flights surprisingly often on ticket stock 169 (Hahn Air).
Old May 23, 2016, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by WorldLux
OTAs book me on European flights surprisingly often on ticket stock 169 (Hahn Air).
Reminds me of the wideroe mistake thing, everything was ticketed on Wideroe stock even though none of the flights were operated by them
Old May 24, 2016, 3:23 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Personally, I'd avoid using such OTAs as having different ticket stock can cause problems for upgrades, etc.
Old May 24, 2016, 3:36 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
The problem is that all of the used OTAs issued at some points tickets on HR stock. Even the more reliable OTAs have issued me tickets on that ticket stock.

Upgrades are not going to be an issue though. Seems like a bad deal to me to pay money for swapping one economy seat for another economy seat, that is sold as C.
Old May 25, 2016, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The old rule that travel agents followed and that is often followed today is that the ticket is issued on the ticket stock of the airline for the first significant segment. For example, a TATL/TPAC segment would count on international itineraries but not domestic connecting segments or intraEU/intraAsia if there are longhaul segments on the same itinerary.
If the ticket covers a number of airlines, the TA will eliminate any of those airlines which do not have ticketing agreements with each of the others. Additionally, not all ticketing agreements are equal. Some, for example, cover ticketing only in certain countries while others cover ticketing only when payment is made by certain means - e.g. cash or a credit card processed by the travel agent rather than a credit card transaction processed through the airline.

HR pays rebates to travel agents for tickets booked on their stock for travel on many different airlines. Additionally, there are many smaller airlines which only have ITAs with HR. A travel agent - online or traditional - which needs to issue a ticket for travel on an airline for which it does not have a validation agreement turns issues the ticket on whatever airline the smaller carrier has an agreement, often this being HR.
Old May 28, 2016, 11:55 pm

Are there any OTA that charge in CAD and issue on Hahn Air stock?

That would be super useful for weird airline combinations when I don't want separate tickets. :-)
Old May 30, 2016, 4:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk qszwdxefc.

Since this topic is a bit technical and discussion is drifting towards specific OTA's, we'll relocate this thread.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Aug 21, 2016, 2:05 am

HR pays rebates to travel agents for tickets booked on their stock for travel on many different airlines. Additionally, there are many smaller airlines which only have ITAs with HR. A travel agent - online or traditional - which needs to issue a ticket for travel on an airline for which it does not have a validation agreement turns issues the ticket on whatever airline the smaller carrier has an agreement, often this being HR.[/QUOTE]

If you're flying with JJ for example, on a ticket purchased through Expedia and ticketed with HR ticket stock prefix 169, who is responsible when JJ cancels a service? Is your contractual agreement with HR or with JJ?
Old Aug 22, 2016, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by TheRealBabushka
HR pays rebates to travel agents for tickets booked on their stock for travel on many different airlines. Additionally, there are many smaller airlines which only have ITAs with HR. A travel agent - online or traditional - which needs to issue a ticket for travel on an airline for which it does not have a validation agreement turns issues the ticket on whatever airline the smaller carrier has an agreement, often this being HR.
If you're flying with JJ for example, on a ticket purchased through Expedia and ticketed with HR ticket stock prefix 169, who is responsible when JJ cancels a service? Is your contractual agreement with HR or with JJ?[/QUOTE]
Expedia would be responsible for rebooking, assuming that the cancellation occurs before the day of departure.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
I have a bad one here.

I was supposed to fly tomorrow (Feb-2) on LG, ticketed by an OTA on HR 169 stock. LG canceled the Feb-2 flight and rebooked me for Feb-1, same time. How nice of them, huh? And never told me. Well, on Feb-1 when I try to OLCI the system was unable. I pulled up my res to see what was wrong, and it said Feb-1. I was trying to check-in after my Feb-1 flight departed. Called LG they said to call your TA. TA has been trying but says HR is unwilling to do anything because they did not cancel, LG did; additionally, the only alternative routing would be on LH, and HR does not have a ticketing agreement with LH. LG says unable to do anything because it's not their ticket stock. What a mess. Gotta love this third-party plating.

Last edited by CaptainMiles; Feb 1, 2017 at 10:14 am
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Expedia would be responsible for rebooking, assuming that the cancellation occurs before the day of departure.
Not, if the JJ journey starts in the EU.
EC261/2004 stipulates that operating carrier of the cancelled/delayed segment has to take care of the rebooking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.