Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Hotwire - Given Lower Star Hotel Than Booked

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotwire - Given Lower Star Hotel Than Booked

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2015, 1:04 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
I'm confused now. OP says he booked a 3 star, and got the Quality Hotel. I assume he means the Quality Hotel & Suites Airport East. If so, that's rated 3 stars on Hotwire. If you look at the logo listed in the 1 star section as an example, it's the Quality INN logo, not the Quality HOTEL logo. Looks like Quality Hotel isn't the same as Quality Inn, they're both sub-brands of Choice's Quality brand.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 4:08 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
OP, I also see the following under Hotwire's examples of 3 stars: Best Western, La Quinta, and Country Inn. Considering the same star level contains both Sheraton and those three I just listed, that should tell you all you need to know about what "3 star" could mean.

Obviously the hotel you received is not the nicest place in Toronto (as evidenced by the Tripadvisor reviews), and obviously you disagree with Hotwire calling it 3 star (as mentioned previously, I don't disagree with you, but nothing says their rating system has to match anyone else's), but the fact is, you knew all of the information before hitting the submit button and I think it's a bit unfair to blame Hotwire because they gave you what you asked for, albeit not what you were hoping for.

For the future, I know it appears you've sworn off of using Hotwire again, but sites like betterbidding.com could be of help to you to determine which hotel you could potentially get. No guarantee of course, but more information and guidance might be a better way to temper your expectations when dealing with an opaque booking site.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 5:50 am

How does Hotwire approach countries that have official star ratings for hotels? Do they also take the liberty to sometimes adjust the rating based on some intransparent criteria?

So far, my experience in Germany, Italy and the Netherlands was that the hotels officially had the rating Hotwire claimed it would have. Of course, four stars in Italy does not mean the same as in the US, though.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 9:49 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Haha, it hadn't dawned on me until now, maybe Hotwire uses the European system of rating hotels, even for those in other places!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.