Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Seat24.com - The Priceline for Europe? (Too good to be true)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: My travel agent

I often find on Kayak.de that the cheapest flights from Europe are provided by a little obscured site called Seat24.com. Unfortunately it's German/Swedish/Finnish/Norwegian/Danish only.

What was really strange that a flight offered by Norwegian - the low-cost airline - was provided cheaper on Seat24.com than on Norwegian's own site.

Is this site legit? What are your experiences with it?

I was told that I cannot always trust in a 3rd party booking site especially if it looks too good to be true so I'm a little bit confused:

Originally Posted by Often1
4. Even if you book through a good 3rd party site, you need to confirm with each carrier that you actually are ticketed on the specific flights the website says you are. A printed email from a third-parrty site won't get you a BP if it hasn't been properly ticketed.

(...)

Remember, if a deal is too good to be true, it's too good to be true.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 4:01 pm

I have never used Seat24, but checked to day:
-4 star hotel in Frankfurt: found a good hotel, not expensive
-checkt flight FRA to LHR: price with BA was OK ... but not great!
I am going to try Seat24 very soon.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 4:52 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest Silver, M&M FTL, Flying Blue Silver, Duna Club Silver
I don't know if it is the same for Norwegian, but in general LCCs fares are not loaded in the GDS. What sites like these do is screen scrape the website of the airline and list the fares, which of course means that their price is not really "live". When you make a request to book such ticket a real person goes to the website of Norwegian and books it for you.

So in this case I assume seat24 had a price, which is cashed. How to they handle such situations I am not sure - there are stories about websites demanding more money from you, because the fare changed. In any case I will be very alert booking LCC ticket outside of their own website.

Again, this is in general, maybe Norwegian uploads its fares and availability to GDS, then it could be OK.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 2:32 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

If Kayak is linking to it, then it's probably a legitimate site. I don't know how good it is, but it shouldn't be a scam.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 5:04 am

Oh it's definitely legit. I traveled with them way back in 2004 so they certainly have history as a company.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 5:44 am

I have used Seat24 several times and in fact I have one reservation with them right now. I cannot comment on their customer service, since I've never needed it, but at least they provide a phone number and street address. Note that they have a credit card fee of 9 euros + 1% of the total price. And their website tries to sell you all kinds of unnecessary extra services that are covered with normal travel insurances or credit card terms. But that seems to be the same with every online travel agency. Just be sure to check 'no thanks' everywhere and double check the total amount before you pay.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kallio
I have used Seat24 several times and in fact I have one reservation with them right now. I cannot comment on their customer service, since I've never needed it, but at least they provide a phone number and street address. Note that they have a credit card fee of 9 euros + 1% of the total price.
I didn't see the %1 fee at least on their German site. Interestingly they have the 9/11 euros fee for Visa/MC and 0 euros for AMEX.

Last edited by Wayfahrer; Jun 12, 2012 at 6:34 am
Old Jun 14, 2012, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

One other question: if I buy a connecting ticket on a 3rd party web site even if it's not on the airline's web site it's a normal connecting ticket always, right? Not separate legs daisy chained, correct?
Old Jun 26, 2012, 3:22 am

Hi! I can say seat24 is safe. I'm from Finland living in Switzerland and have used it many times to fly home. Definitely ok.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.