Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Priceline wins "resort fee" lawsuit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Priceline wins "resort fee" lawsuit

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2012, 9:07 am

Programs: 1MM BIS. Former 18-year segment 1K, 1997-2014...now just a distant memory.
Originally Posted by mile ho
I know there are different classes of rooms in a hotel. I get that. But this was blatant misrepresentation, imho. Priceline continued to allow them to sell these rooms as resort rate at a price that should have been half that. I get screwed and so do the other hotels in that area that are playing above board.
The following points are included in Priceline's guidance to hotels that wish to partner with Priceline, or at least they were in the instructional/guidance website I have dated circa 2001. If anyone has a more current reference for hotel partner requirements, I'd appreciate knowing it.

PRICELINE.COM MANDATES THE FOLLOWING FROM YOUR HOTEL:

Assign Priceline Room Type: You will ensure that all hotel rooms are guaranteed for double-occupancy with a preference for non-smoking.

Accommodate Special Requests: You will try to accommodate, to the best of your ability, any special needs requested directly by a Priceline guest (i.e., bedding, smoking, etc.).

Extend Valued Guest Treatment: You will place the Priceline guest in a room comparable to (or better than) your "best available" room assignment. You will welcome the Priceline guest just as you would welcome any other valued guest. (Remember this is your opportunity to "brand" that guest for a return visit.)
Old Apr 6, 2012, 11:53 am

No, the lawsuit was doomed because the California state courts have increasingly become anti-consumer.

If you read the decision, it was (in part) under California Business and Professions Code sections 17200 and following. 17200 prohibits:

any unlawful, unfair or fraudulent business act or practice
and unfair, deceptive, untrue or misleading advertising

Yes, the terms and conditions do say in the fine print that a resort fee can be levied. However, as stated in the court's decision, when you bid you see a figure labeled "total charges" which is your bid plus service charges and taxes, but not resort fees.

That sounds unfair, deceptive, untrue or misleading to me.

Originally Posted by Often1
This lawsuit was doomed because P/Line's terms could not be more clear. And, the hotels would be off the hook if they were defendants because their terms are likely clear as well.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 1:50 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
What did Priceline say when you complained?

I personally would not have accepted a room with broken A/C.... that is unacceptable. As is a stained bedspread.

I wonder if Priceline knows these thing happen at these rogue properties?

Originally Posted by mile ho
I would have to concede that most likely that you right on the 'many' part. But I had two back to back instances where particular, unrenovated wings of hotels were reserved for priceline winners.

The first was the Sheraton Keahou in Kona. Manager even told me a particular unrenovated wing was reserved for winners like me. WOW. And you should have seen the rooms. Billed as a resort? Run down 2 star was more like it. Charged resort fee and parking, too. Sagging beds, stained carpet and bedspread, toilet from the seventies, like you see in a truck stop, bad ancient TV and broken A/C. Oh, and too, they offered to upgrade me to a renovated room at check-in. Insulting.

I know there are different classes of rooms in a hotel. I get that. But this was blatant misrepresentation, imho. Priceline continued to allow them to sell these rooms as resort rate at a price that should have been half that. I get screwed and so do the other hotels in that area that are playing above board.

And I blame Priceline. They are the ones that 'sold' me that room. If it ain't right they should either make it right or discontinue business with like hotels.

And even though I know what happened to me won't happen often, it is now a matter of principle. I won't go back.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 11:34 pm

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
Originally Posted by wharvey
What did Priceline say when you complained?

I personally would not have accepted a room with broken A/C.... that is unacceptable. As is a stained bedspread.

I wonder if Priceline knows these thing happen at these rogue properties?
When my wife and I go to Hawaii we are on the go. We hike, snorkel and are rarely in the room. We had only two days at this property and I wasn't going to take any measurable amt of time out of our vacation to change to another hotel. So we went ahead and stayed. The A/C was never fixed to our satisfaction even though they tried.

I took pictures of every one of my complaints. I refused on principle to pay the upgrade price. And so after we got home, when I explained my situation to Priceline, they refused to do anything about it because we decided to stay. They are fully aware that the Sheraton Keahou made a practice of reserving special rooms for Priceline winners. I informed them more than once and I believe so did others; I even gave them the managers name who told me thus.

My disdain for Priceline came from this sort of incident. Too, I abhor the practice of allowing resort fees to be charged - and other ancillary fees - because an honest transaction in an opaque booking situation should be based on specific price for a specific hotel rating. Being allowed to add fees afterward undermines the fairness of the process, both for the competing hotels and most importantly, the customer.

I bid on the 3.5 star. They 'graciously' upgraded me to a resort. I DID NOT WANT A FREAKIN RESORT. Because with that most likely comes a special fee or two or three. And with that my bid was no longer my bid. To stay at that property just became much more expensive. Properties like this one are in the Resort category so anyone who even bids on a 4 star in that area is likely to get what I got. This is a very bad practice by both the hotel and Priceline .. that is allowing rogue properties to game the system at the expense of the customer. It cost Priceline many, many thousands of dollars or bookings since then. I simply don't use them anymore. 50k in bookings? Quite likely.

Oh you don't like your room? of course you don't. Here, just pay us another xxx per night and we'll give you a room that is in line with the 3.5 star you bid on.

Priceline did nothing on my behalf even though I provided pictures and a detailed commentary from a specific manager - whose name and phone number I gave them - regarding this BS. I gave P'line all the info they needed, that is, if they cared. IMHO? They didn't.

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 8:34 am

The big print says something like we've found a hotel which agreed to your price. The big print tells us the total taxes and fees. The small print says a hotel might decide to charge a resort fee. The small print says the resort fee isn't one of the fees included in the total taxes and fees. We have no idea if we're going to wind up with a resort, unrequested upgrade and we have no idea what that fee will be. What's worse a hotel without a resort fee might have "accepted" a bid higher then what it took to win a resort fee hotel but lower then the total cost including a resort fee. Hotels at all * levels are now charging a resort fee.

No question the practice is deceptive. California has said the practice isn't illegal. The terms and conditions don't clarify an issue, it contradicts it.

With a conventional reservation I have the option of including the resort fee in my cost before I decide to book.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 12:57 pm
Suspended

What I don't understand is why hotels would except a "Priceline rate" well below their own best published rate.
Why not directly deal with the customer and offer a "Priceline rate". Cuts out the middleman.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
What I don't understand is why hotels would except a "Priceline rate" well below their own best published rate.
Why not directly deal with the customer and offer a "Priceline rate". Cuts out the middleman.
A hotel doesn't have to match prices offered through opaque channels such as Priceline and Hotwire.

Some hotels are offering lower rates in exchange for a pre-paid non-refundable reservation. The rate isn't quite as low as a PL rate but that's the equivalent to what you're suggesting.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 1:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by lewisc
A hotel doesn't have to match prices offered through opaque channels such as Priceline and Hotwire.

Some hotels are offering lower rates in exchange for a pre-paid non-refundable reservation. The rate isn't quite as low as a PL rate but that's the equivalent to what you're suggesting.
Hotels don't have to match anything.
The question was: why do hotels accept the "Priceline rate" which is well below their own lowest best rate (e.g. a pre-paid non-refundable rate)?
Old Apr 7, 2012, 5:45 pm

Hotels don't have to match anything.
The question was: why do hotels accept the "Priceline rate" which is well below their own lowest best rate (e.g. a pre-paid non-refundable rate)?
They have to match an internet rate when the hotel has a policy of matching any internet rate. They offer lower rates to PL and Hotwire because the booking is opaque. The customer isn't booking a specific hotel. The hotel isn't obligated to honor a "price match" policy when the identity of the hotel isn't known in advance.

The theory is a hotel is making money, as long as the price is higher then the incremental costs (washing towels and sheets) if the room would otherwise be empty and if the customer would otherwise stay at a different property.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 6:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by lewisc
They have to match an internet rate when the hotel has a policy of matching any internet rate. They offer lower rates to PL and Hotwire because the booking is opaque. The customer isn't booking a specific hotel. The hotel isn't obligated to honor a "price match" policy when the identity of the hotel isn't known in advance.

The theory is a hotel is making money, as long as the price is higher then the incremental costs (washing towels and sheets) if the room would otherwise be empty and if the customer would otherwise stay at a different property.
You think that by calling a hotel directly you could do better than best online rate and get close to the theoretical Priceline rate?
Old Apr 7, 2012, 8:50 pm

You think that by calling a hotel directly you could do better than best online rate and get close to the theoretical Priceline rate?
Some posters say yes. I guess it depends on the hotel. Probably also depends how far in advance you call. Day of stay. Late afternoon. Evening. Maybe yes. Weeks before maybe no.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 2:01 am

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
The California Court of Appeal, Second District, Division Three, had its erred. I hope the plaintiffs are successful in obtaining review by the California Supreme Court.

Priceline could, if they wanted to, require hotels to include the resort fee in the bid amount. For some reason, they don't want to. I would support a DOT regulation on this, similar to the recent one for airline price advertisements.
Unfortunately DOT doesn't regulate deceptive advertising by hotels/travel agents, FTC does (at least theoretically), and they're most emphatically not interested in the issue.

Last edited by mbstone; Apr 8, 2012 at 2:15 am
Old Apr 8, 2012, 7:59 am

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
Honestly, I'm not unhappy that I don't do biz with Priceline anymore.

I focus on point earning opportunities, Best Rate Guarantees and other means to reduce my cost on hotels.

Used to be Priceline's biggest cheerleader. Even called Shatner my daddy. Said if I ever became widowed I'd marry Priceline.

But I do better than Priceline now. It's just a little more work, but I used to put in quite a bit researching before I bid.

Priceline could add a feature for the bidder, if they wanted to, that excluded any hotel that charged a resort or any other ancillary and mandatory fee. I would return to Priceline in a limited way if that were the case. In other words make the opaque bid the final and true price. Hey, seems like such a novel idea. Kinda the way it used to be.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 7:04 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
I am a big Priceline fan, but the resort fee issue is a major loser. The primary city of issue is Las Vegas, but other areas are possible.

Hotwire did this right and tells you before you accept if there is a fee and how much it is likely to be.

Obviously, if consumers stopped using the site because of this, they would change, but Priceline is way too popular in Las Vegas.

Complaining does work, they made changed for opaque on Trump and I think one other south strip property, so it is possible if consumers make a decision based on their wallet if there are no upfront pricing laws.

Rasheed
Old Apr 16, 2012, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rasheed
I am a big Priceline fan, but the resort fee issue is a major loser. The primary city of issue is Las Vegas, but other areas are possible.

Hotwire did this right and tells you before you accept if there is a fee and how much it is likely to be.

Obviously, if consumers stopped using the site because of this, they would change, but Priceline is way too popular in Las Vegas.

Complaining does work, they made changed for opaque on Trump and I think one other south strip property, so it is possible if consumers make a decision based on their wallet if there are no upfront pricing laws.

Rasheed
Are you sure Hotwire tells you the amount of any resort fee before you buy? That would be very interesting.

I would ask that folks keep this thread limited to resort fee charges. There are a lot of other pros and cons to using the opaque bid sites, but the resort fee issue is a somewhat unique -- and particularly awful -- problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.