Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

New York hotel for New Year's - Priceline?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New York hotel for New Year's - Priceline?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2011, 10:07 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by Sheryl
the first two weeks in December, historically the busiest time of the year in New York City .
It's actually the week between Christmas and New Years, but once again don't let official tourism numbers get in the way of random internet postings.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 10:39 pm
In memoriam

You believe what you want to believe and I'll believe what I want to believe. I'm sure you get your jollies from refuting me as you have for years. After all, you're perfect, right?
Old Nov 21, 2011, 12:27 pm

Let's please stay on topic. Thanks
Old Nov 21, 2011, 3:03 pm
B1

I looked on Hotwire and there are lots of things going for half price that week in excellent districts. It doesn't seem very busy compared to early November. I suspect some bids around $150 for 3* in good zones will be successful. There seems to be no reason to stay in Williamsburg or Jersey City despite their great reputations as the fun capitals of the New York area.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cordelli
It's actually the week between Christmas and New Years, but once again don't let official tourism numbers get in the way of random internet postings.
Actually, Sheryl's right on this one...

I'm closely related to the travel industry in NYC - and the first 2 weeks of December are generally busier than the week between Christmas & NYE. This year, with Christmas on a Sunday and the holiday on Monday and with NYE being on a Saturday and NYD on a Sunday with the federal holiday on Monday, Jan 2nd, may be one of the busiest within the past several years (last year's snowstorm on 12/26 did impact international arrivals & departures which negatively impacted the 26th to the 29th though).

Next year, December 5-15 will be the busiest times in December in the city. The shopping weekends are usually more busy than the Xmas-NYE week is.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 2:14 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AA, UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
The hotels are busy

I have many friends who work in the hotel industry in NYC, mostly four and five star places - they have already been told that due to the high occupancy expected, that they will need to work overtime and there are to be no vacation days during that period -one of my friends was trying to get a room for the week for her sister using her discount and was told not possible. I live in the city and it is so crowded with tourists, more than I can remember is a long time. I was at Tiffany's two weeks ago to buy a gift and the place was so crowded with tourists, mostly buying, that I was told the wait for a sales person would be in excess of one hour.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by B1
I looked on Hotwire and there are lots of things going for half price that week in excellent districts. It doesn't seem very busy compared to early November. I suspect some bids around $150 for 3* in good zones will be successful. There seems to be no reason to stay in Williamsburg or Jersey City despite their great reputations as the fun capitals of the New York area.
Yay, another Canadian.

I hate to admit this but I think Sheryl is right. Book a refundable hotel as a back-up plan. Then book on a non-refundable site as you get closer to the date and you're fairly confident that you've gotten a good deal.

Truth is, you're never going to get rock bottom prices all the time. It's like trying to time the stock market. You can generally know if you're getting a good deal by looking at past prices and current prices on a variety of different sites. It never hurts to throw in a low ball bid on Priceline -- you never know. Of course, there are some good Priceline 'helper' sites out there such as BiddingForTravel and Hotel Deals Revealed which I operative and will be happy to give you more personal direction on Priceline bidding).

I'm in no way affiliated with AirBnB, but the website seems to be hitting it out of the park recently. Tonnes of media attention. It is worth checking out too. Good luck!

Last edited by jabez; Dec 1, 2011 at 3:29 pm Reason: no commercial links
Old Dec 3, 2011, 12:44 am
In memoriam

We continue to see "random Internet postings" at (her site) for fantastic deals in early December through Priceline in New York City, as low as $100/night for a 4* in the Midtown West zone. We never even see deals this low during non-holiday periods. I'm confident the hotels are hurting.

Last edited by jabez; Dec 3, 2011 at 10:39 am Reason: no links-advertising
Old Dec 3, 2011, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by cordelli
Last year, New York City welcomed a record 48.8 million visitors who collectively spent $31 billion. The City is on track to reach a record number of visitors this year. Room rates are steadily increasing, and occupancy remained at close to 85 percent, the highest in the nation.
And at nearly 85%, still nearly 1/7 of NYC hotel rooms are going empty every night --- all opportunities for Priceline, Hotwire and their fellow travelers.

While some nights are tight, I never give up on Priceline, as I've scored last minute rooms at great prices on New Year's Eve, as well as during Fashion Week and UN week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.