Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

hotels: finding dates for the lowest price shown?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2010, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KLM Gold, DL Silver

Hi,

I used to use kayak's "deals" feature, when they would display the lowest rate for a particular hotel, and I was able to click and see the dates this rate is applicable. This way I found a couple of very nice rate mistakes and took advantage of them.

However, Kayak removed this, and when you check the "deals" they are displaying only regular rates or promotional, but still no "mistakes". It has become impossible to find the lowest rate for a city\hotel across the year.

Hotelscombined still shows you the lowest rate found for flexible search (no dates), however it is impossible to find out what dates are applicable to this rate.

Do you guys know the trick?

The thing is I am a price-sensitive traveler, and I choose dates of my travel according to the cheapest price I find, and not the other way around. I am flexible, and I am able to adjust my plans if there is an attractive price. But how do I find those dates?
Old Oct 29, 2010, 6:10 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow as the thread moves to the Online Booking/Bidding forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 10:47 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
I believe that you would get much better rates with Hotwire or Priceline.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by iggyray
Hi,

I used to use kayak's "deals" feature, when they would display the lowest rate for a particular hotel, and I was able to click and see the dates this rate is applicable. This way I found a couple of very nice rate mistakes and took advantage of them.

However, Kayak removed this, and when you check the "deals" they are displaying only regular rates or promotional, but still no "mistakes". It has become impossible to find the lowest rate for a city\hotel across the year.

Hotelscombined still shows you the lowest rate found for flexible search (no dates), however it is impossible to find out what dates are applicable to this rate.

Do you guys know the trick?

The thing is I am a price-sensitive traveler, and I choose dates of my travel according to the cheapest price I find, and not the other way around. I am flexible, and I am able to adjust my plans if there is an attractive price. But how do I find those dates?
Yes, I have the same question as you. Why kayak doesn't show the lowest price anymore. (probably need to email their founder and ask him why?) And if anyone know how to find the lowest rate for a certain day on any search engine hope you can share with us. Thanks! I know another website wego.com they show really good price too, but same problem don't know how to find the day with the lowest rate.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Got an email from the guy that developed this feature. He says the site removed this for some reason, but promised to forward the request to Kayak's management. Nothing has changed so far.

Is there any other service that shows you the starting price for the hotel allowing you to retrieve the dates applicable to this rate?
Old Jan 3, 2011, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Are there new ideas regarding the issue? I am traveling and would really like to make my plans according to the price, and not to dates...
Old Jan 5, 2011, 12:13 am

Best Western's website lets you view 30 days of rates in calendar form.

Select the BW you're interested in. On the reservation page look for the "View Availability Calendar" link, next to the date fields. Enter a start date and you'll get the next 30 days of rates in an easy-to-read calendar.

Even if you don't like Best Western brand the calendar suggests which days are likely to be busy or slow at other hotels in the area.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lougord99
I believe that you would get much better rates with Hotwire or Priceline.
I guess they wouldn't have a $8 rate for 3-stars downtown Montreal which I found thanks to Kayak...
Old Apr 1, 2011, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Colfax
Best Western's website lets you view 30 days of rates in calendar form.

Select the BW you're interested in. On the reservation page look for the "View Availability Calendar" link, next to the date fields. Enter a start date and you'll get the next 30 days of rates in an easy-to-read calendar.

Even if you don't like Best Western brand the calendar suggests which days are likely to be busy or slow at other hotels in the area.
Well, travelocity has the same feature for 90 days ahead. The problem is, checking every single hotel in the city is unpractical, there is a 3-month limit, and you see the rates only on travelocity, and not other sites.

Kayak's deals section was awesome, like their "buzz" for air tkts. I am clueless why would they remove it, when it worked perfectly? Mayne that's due to the fact they are starting selling rooms themselves?
Old Apr 1, 2011, 7:06 pm

Yes, there used to be a site that shows the lowest, yes I mean the lowest price on Earth/hotel on travelocity. I missed it a lot. Same with the kayak function... helped me grabbed so much good stuff. And there is another website called wego.com as well. It still kind of show the lowest night rate... but have a hard time to figure out which night is the lowest...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.