Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beware of Priceline

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2009, 5:37 pm
B1

Resort fees are the hotel version of fuel surcharges, baggage fees, security fees, and every other bit of nonsense that is added to the price of a ticket beyond the quoted price. It doesn't matter if you book the hotel by bidding on Priceline or through the hotel web site. Neither discloses the fees until you arrive - unless you call ahead. This is a headache for the whole idea of Priceline where the deal is no longer done when the bidding is over
Old Dec 26, 2009, 10:14 pm

I use Priceline sometimes, but a lot of the time I do not due to the several issues outlined on this thread. They would help their reliability and get more of my business if they changed as follows:

1. The final price with PL fees is the total at the hotel desk, except for truly optional extras.

2. Only include hotels in an area that truly serve the area. A hotel which is 20-30 minutes from the airport doesn't belong in the airport's zone.

3. Over time, deal with hotels that have long records of bad reviews. Some issues should cause a downgrade (lousy property, bad location); others should cause them to get tossed completely (routinely giving PL customers bad rooms).

PL has become worth far less to me now that a lot of hotels are offering big savings on pre-paid, non-refundable rooms. I often find I can get rooms as cheap this way as with PL (incl PL fees), Plus, I know where I'm staying, I usually get FF points and any status I have is often honored.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by MarciaLF
It seems like the days of Priceline being a good deal and reliable have come and gone.

The last time I used them I found out most people at the hotel had paid less, this time they put me 30 minutes from the location I requested in a (three star) dump!

As for the location, I called immediately when it came through that it was not where I requested and they refused to refund it without a $25 charge. I'm done with Priceline and I urge everyone to be really careful. (And don't go for the straight pay -- the prices are always HIGHER than you can get on the hotel website.)

Marcia
Your experience indeed sounds frustrating (especially after all the time you spent contacting customer service, as detailed in your other posts ), but I always question people who jump to conclusions based on only ONE bad experience. Following that same logic, one would eventually end up with NO airline to fly on, NO hotel chain to stay at, etc. -- because sooner or later, one way or another, they all make mistakes/have faults. Priceline and Hotwire both certainly have their shortcomings, but even a bad experience would NOT convince me to abandon them completely. (I rarely use either one, but they are always in my bag of tricks for finding cheap places to stay, because by and large, I have gotten excellent hotel deals through them.)
Old Dec 27, 2009, 7:37 am

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
In Love with...

I have told my friends and family - after having used priceline for many years - that if my wife dies prematurely (God Forbid), that I am going to propose marriage to p-line. Here's why:

If one does some research using the two best sites for that (betterbidding and biddingfortravel), the savings can be redonkulous. Seriously.

I've gotten very nice Hyatts for 35 a night. I've gotten other deals like that more often than not. I've gotten cars for 7 a day and drove the wheels of them. But here is the KEY:

BE AN INFORMED BIDDER! Learn how to use the two sites I mentioned above. You can't always get a stellar deal but many times you can get something - especially in the bigger cities - that will rock your socks.

Hotels are where the real action is. But cars aren't bad either. Haven't done anything on flights and probably won't.

I'm not just a mile ho. I'm a priceline ho.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by 6rugrats
With a little research, you can usually figure this out. Your first clue might be when you choose "resort" for your hotel category.
It doesn't just happen when bidding for Resort level. Last month I bid for a 2.5* in Rancho Mirage-Indian Wells-Palm Desert zone and got upgraded to the 3* Indian Wells Resort with a $20/day resort fee.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 11:06 am

And, if this happens, you are sol. They do not care that it is costing you $20/day more than you bid and accepted; it's in the fine print. I think that they should reveal this in the estimate as you bid; it would not be difficult. It seems very underhanded as it stands; sure, you can get the crowne plaza for $40! But, by the time all fees are added in, plus the resort fee, you've gotten into the 70s. Not a ridiculous savings by any stretch.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I've used priceline (the "name your own price" option) for many years, and usually am very pleased with the result. I have never been given a hotel out of a zone when bidding for a particlar zone, but you can get in a part of the zone you desire less (but you know that when bidding). Generally, I have been very happy and I have, on average, saved about 45% on every hotel booking.

I'm thinking that perhaps you were confused about what zone you initially bid, either that or maybe you didn't use the name your own price option and just booked a hotel through their regular travel site. Either way, I suggest you spend at least 15-20 minutes researching your bids first using some of the websites listed, and the hotel sites themselves. If you do your reserach, I believe you'll be happy with the results.

M
Old Dec 29, 2009, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
I used to use Priceline for airfare but the lack of miles makes that pointless. For cars, it is always worth trying IMHO because the rental agency doesn't matter that much.

For hotels, you just have to be well informed like others above said and for many areas it is by far the best deal. Armed with the websites above that give possible hotels, resort fees, recommendations, etc and a comparison with Hotwire prices it is tough to feel that bad for myself when I make a mistake. They actually take a screenshot when you select to continue with the bid purchase. If you argue that you didn't actually agree to a price or something wasn't clear they will show you this legally binding agreement.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta, Hilton & Marriott Elite
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
Your experience indeed sounds frustrating (especially after all the time you spent contacting customer service, as detailed in your other posts ), but I always question people who jump to conclusions based on only ONE bad experience. Following that same logic, one would eventually end up with NO airline to fly on, NO hotel chain to stay at, etc. -- because sooner or later, one way or another, they all make mistakes/have faults. Priceline and Hotwire both certainly have their shortcomings, but even a bad experience would NOT convince me to abandon them completely. (I rarely use either one, but they are always in my bag of tricks for finding cheap places to stay, because by and large, I have gotten excellent hotel deals through them.)
This was far from my first Priceline experience. The other ones were OK -- hotels not up to rating, but not to bad. I also found the prices to be equal to what I could have gotten on other sites. Nothing bad enough for me to totally ban Priceline from my vocabulary --until now.

I'm sorry if you consider this "one bad experience," but giving me a hotel out of the area and refusing to refund it when I call immediately and point that out shows the company is no longer playing fair.

Marcia
Old Dec 30, 2009, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Marcia,
In reading back to your prior post, and a couple of follow-ups, it does seems like you got a bum deal (with a 1 zone city, and a hotel on the outer fringe of the zone). I typically use priceline for cities where there are at least 3 zones, so you can use complex bidding strategies and come closer to getting what you want. Bidding in a one zone place, you're more likely to get a dud (which it seems you did).

I've had a few not-so-great rooms via priceline, but none that were as negative as the situation you found yourself in. I've also ended up with a $350 luxury suite room for $80 via a priceline bid. Overall, I have come out way ahead. If karma works, you should get a presidential suite for $100 on another try (just be sure to only bid in cities with multiple zones and do lots of research)!

Have a nice new year, and happy travels!

Marc
Old Dec 30, 2009, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
Originally Posted by MARINFLL
Marcia,
In reading back to your prior post, and a couple of follow-ups, it does seems like you got a bum deal (with a 1 zone city, and a hotel on the outer fringe of the zone). I typically use priceline for cities where there are at least 3 zones, so you can use complex bidding strategies and come closer to getting what you want. Bidding in a one zone place, you're more likely to get a dud (which it seems you did).
Yes. Some cities just don't have zones set up in a good way in Priceline. Also, I usually check BetterBidding for all hotels that have a reported win for the given zone and class and see how bad the worst case scenario is.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 6:17 pm

I bid on BMI (Bloomington Airport), 3 star hotel. I got a Country Inn and Suites in Normal -- 30 minutes from the airport.
I'm sorry if you consider this "one bad experience," but giving me a hotel out of the area and refusing to refund it when I call immediately and point that out shows the company is no longer playing fair.
Marcia,

I'm sorry you weren't happy with your hotel but I'm still not convinced you were assigned to a hotel outside the zone you bid.

There is no Bloomington Airport zone on Priceline. There's just a Bloomington zone and both Country Inns are within the boundaries of the Bloomington zone, at least as that zone is defined today.

Sometimes Priceline changes zone boundaries. When you placed your bid did Priceline display a different Bloomington map that they're showing today? If not then you won a hotel in the zone you bid.

Another point of confusion is that you said you bid for a 3* and Priceline curently rates both Country Inns 2.5*. If you bid 3* and get a 2.5* then you're entitled to a 100% refund, apart from any mapping considerations.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 7:07 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Originally Posted by Colfax
Sometimes Priceline changes zone boundaries. When you placed your bid did Priceline display a different Bloomington map that they're showing today? If not then you won a hotel in the zone you bid.
This seems to be where the misunderstanding in this entire thread is coming from. Marcia, if the map when you bid is the same as it is looking at it today, then you got exactly what you paid for and PL was right to not allow you to change/cancel without a fee. The hotel you received, according to the map shown, is not "out of the area", and this certainly doesn't strike me as PL "not playing fair". Now, if you're saying there was some slight of hand and the original map you saw is not the same as it is now, then that would certainly justify your cause for a refund. But right now, you don't have a case because the hotel you got is within the map that PL shows.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 6:17 am
B1

Sources of confusion - Priceline peculiarities

When you log onto Priceline and select the hotels option, a location box says "City or Airport". If you enter an airport code, it simply gives you the city, whereas on Expedia you get airport area listings. The Priceline airport code option is misleading for those who would be wanting an airport.
One other confusing thing here is that now when you go to Name Your Own Price there are three tabs. One is Map View, that shows location of hotels on the open site, another is a list of hotels on the open site, and one is the bidding page. This is a first for me - Priceline showing which hotels it offers on the open site when you are on a bidding page. Is this new? The map view doesn't show zones, In order to map the zone you need to click on each one from the bidding page.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 12:31 pm

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
Always study the maps; when I see an odd "arm" coming out of the district I am bidding, I assume it is there to cover a hotel that uses PL heavily. Toronto on the NE side had such an arm IMHO to encompass a dodgy 3 star Radisson.

The "resort fee" phenomenon is definitely a growing problem. While I have yet to see a charge that is not being assessed to other customers (which is the PL policy), it is starting to creep into hotels that are not by any stretch resorts (Las Vegas Monte Carlo, for example, where it does not even cover internet).

OP says most properties do not meet the PL star level? I see the ocassional dog (actually two 3* Holiday Inns in Florida come to mind --JAX and MCO airports), but 90% are to expectations or exceed them.

OP should be able to bypass Priceline completely and reverse the credit card charge with the issuer, if PL is trying to assess $25 to fix their problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.