Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Warning against using lastminute.com top secret hotels!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Warning against using lastminute.com top secret hotels!!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2009, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by chuckd
While quality usually isn't terribly cheap, "you get what you pay for" is typically what people who overpay tell themselves to feel better about wasting money. At least that has been my experience, though I could be wrong.
Yes, I agree with that. If you read here and elsewhere, you will also find many examples of people getting poor quality despite spending a lot. So I would say there's some correlation between quality and price, and some correlation between lack of quality and cheapness, but neither is as strong a correlation as many people believe.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 11:07 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Have you considered filling a dispute with your credit card company?
Old Nov 24, 2009, 9:09 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gfowler-ord-1k
Have you considered filling a dispute with your credit card company?
I really dont know what to do. I have sent 2 emails to lastminute.com asking when can I expect a reply and they are just not responding. How can I file a dispute with the credit card company? What will that do? Not only have they not replied within the 28 days that they said they would, but to not even answer any other emails is just a joke
Old Nov 25, 2009, 12:16 am
In memoriam

When you file the dispute the credit card company may ask if you have attempted to contact the merchant. The fact that you have twice with no response is good evidence in your favor. They may also request that you file a written complaint and include copies of your emails. Make sure the reply has not gone to a spam/junk folder. Some card issuers (E.g. Amex) have an online dispute form.

You should ask for a partial refund as the quality of the product was not as advertised.

Last edited by gfowler-ord-1k; Nov 25, 2009 at 2:41 pm
Old Nov 30, 2009, 12:53 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

The email I got back!

Hi guys,

Today I rang up lastminute.com on their 10p a minute number and spoke to a manager asking why I had not received a response. The manager stated that they had staffing problems due to swine flu and that I would have a reply by close of business today (bearing in mind I should have had a reply by 15th November). Just makes you wonder how long I would have had to wait if I didn't call at all - anyhow, please find the response to my original email, let me know your thoughts. ^

30 November 2009

Order Reference: 9******2

Dear SgtRyan,

Thank you for your correspondence, which we have received in our office regarding the above booking. Firstly, I would like to apologise for our delayed response. I realise that this matter has taken longer to resolve than we would usually expect, and I can assure you that this is being investigated to ensure that this disappointment does not recur.

Please be assured that we take all customer feedback seriously as we want to sustain a high level of customer service and work with the best suppliers. This is why your feedback is very important, especially as it allows us to iron out any problems that may occur.

Naturally, I am concerned to learn of the disappointment you experienced with your hotel booking made on the lastminute.com website, and can understand your frustration at the situation. Please accept our apologies on behalf of the hotel for not meeting with your expectations.

We work in good faith with our suppliers and rely on them to provide us with an accurate description of the hotel for our website, I can only apologise if you have found this information to be misleading or incorrect. Details of your experience have been forwarded to the hotel for their response. Please find this below,

1. First we confirm that the Hotel is at most 18-20 minutes walk from the Colosseum, the archaeological journey through the most beautiful of Rome, which goes to Santa Maria Maggiore, 5 minutes, Via Merulana - Teatro Brancaccio 5 minutes, Colle Oppio - Domus Aurea - Coliseum, 7 minutes. Moreover, just ask el'apposita route map, available free at the reception, who are highly qualified and speak at least three languages, permanent employees for many years to get all the information requested.

2. The chamber which has been allocated to customers is a standard room as booked, fully equipped with all the furniture and all necessary amenities, and a fully functioning bathroom. Standard rooms can have different surface and different exposures, with views of Rome, overlooking the castle, balcony, terrace, quieter, yet enjoy the same prestige and all are richly furnished with antiques and fine tapestries and are equipped with mini - -bar, TV, air conditioning, safe, hair dryer, etc..

3. Cleaning the rooms, common areas and lifts are performed daily, sometimes twice a day, and with the utmost care by our staff.

4. The walls of the rooms are painted yellow and the paint is being altered by regular maintenance personnel when, inadvertently or clumsily, some guests the damage, both with the suitcases with their treads;

5. Inside each room there is a fully functional TV with Sky available, digital terrestrial and all the major channels in different languages. It happens sometimes that they are the same customers to tamper with the channels. In this case, if it had wished, SgtRyan, could seek the assistance of our technicians, who in a few moments would solve the problem.

We have no record of these complaints being registered during the reservation, therefore we do not think there is any evidence to justify the request for reimbursement, which can not be accepted.

In view of your experience, I am happy to advise that a refund of £78 which represents a refund of one night has now been processed, plus an additional amount of £20 as goodwill for the delay in this matter being resolved. The total amount of £98 will be credited back to the card your booking was made with. Please allow approximately 14 days for this amount to show back in your account, depending on your own banks clearing times.

In closing, I would like to again offer our apologies for the disappointment you have suffered and can assure you that your experience is not indicative of our usual high levels of customer satisfaction.

Should you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours Sincerely,

Customer Relations Team
[email protected]
Old Dec 1, 2009, 5:07 am
Suspended

They reaffirmed everything that I said -- the hotel qualifies for its category designation. At least you received some compensation for your persistence. Nevertheless, it was a nusiance pay off for someone who likely should have known better -- I hope you have learned your lesson concerning hotel categories.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 6:30 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, SQ Krisflyer PPS, UA 1p, Marriot Lifetime Platinum, American EXP
Talking Seems like a fair end to this mess

I just spent some time reading through this post hoping there was a resolution of some sort. I am glad to see that they acknowledged the issues and gave you almost a 30% refund.
The only issue I had with your original post was that this hotel is within walking distance to the Colosseum (20 - 30 Minutes depending on how fast you walk). I have walked this route many times, but if you are not familiar with Rome I could see this walk taking 60 minutes.
Glad you got some satisfaction, Rome is one of my favorite cities in the world.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 2:05 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
looked at 2 of your pictures and if this is their idea of a 4 star hotel - no matter what the HOTEL says - then I'll never use them (Never mind the total lack of customer service to resolve this issue in a timely manner)
Old Dec 4, 2009, 11:13 pm

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Originally Posted by blondeterp
I'm not the OP, but I recently stayed at the Copthorne Tara in Kensington. Compared to the other 4* hotels that PL has given me in London, I thought it was pretty decent and had all the amenities I was looking for.
I'd agree. There are a LOT worse hotels that are supposedly 4 star that spring to mind, The Kensington Close, next door, springs to mind
Old Dec 5, 2009, 8:51 am
In memoriam

It seems like a fair settlement but their reply defends the problems you reported. I think this is a good reason for me to avoid using lastminute.com. When I book a 4 star hotel that is what I expect. Here is their description of a 4 star.
These superior properties distinguish themselves with a high level of service and hospitality, as well as a wide variety of amenities and upscale facilities. A well-integrated design, stylized room décor, excellent restaurant facilities, and landscaped grounds are all present. The comfort and convenience of the guest is the staff's prevailing concern.
There are 13,495 views of this thread at the time of this posting and I bet a lot of these people will avoid lastminute also.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 4:06 pm

Indeed if I use Lastminute I will be extremely careful. I had a few Priceline experiences so far and I was not disappointed because both my expectations, and my bids, were low! But it was always decent given the low price, I never regreated it. Very different story here. It's good Last Minute gave you money back but terrible they gave you so little, did not blacklist the hotel, made you wait for so long and made you pay 10c a minute to talk to them!
Old Dec 8, 2009, 7:53 pm

Smile

Thank You SgtRyan for sharing your ordeal.
As one previous poster said thats why I don't book opaque properties unless I know what they are.

Its a shame you couldn't have disputed the charge on your credit card. ( I don't know what the rules are in the UK )

Anyway, we all learned a little from this.
BW
Old Dec 14, 2009, 10:52 am
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Sorry for your poor experience. It was not only uncomfortable, but must have been an embarrassment with your lady.

Our trip to Rome, we paid double what you paid and got clean, though ?able quality versus what we get here in the US. Rome is filled with ruins, and many of them are in current use as businesses, hotels, motels and residences.

All I can add, is your correspondence basically said you had already bad mouthed them all you could (or intended to) and that is not the way to get cooperation from a vendor.

First you write the letter explaining your issue and state what compensation you expect. If you are not satisfied, then you do the rest. That's the order IMHO.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 9:00 am

Thanks for posting the pix, OP, and thanks also for posting LastMinute email reply. I know now not to use them.

I have never encountered a hotel in Europe that was in the condition portrayed by your pix! Even the three-star European-style individually-owned small hotels located near train stations, locations which guidebooks sometimes say can be a bit dodgy, were immaculate, IME. In fact, had you not posted the pix, I would have been inclined to discount your post, since my experience with the cleanliness of European hotels has been so positive.

Even if lastminute.com was unaware of the hotel condition--and I can understand that that could happen--the CS email to you sidestepped the problem and was unresponsive. I could use a harsher word for their response but won't.

I am glad that another poster pointed out that lastminute.com is a different company from lastminutetravel.com.

To lastminute.com --
Old Dec 17, 2009, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by harryhv
Other opaque hotels to avoid: wotif.com and lastminute.com.au (same company in Australia)... for Australian bookings Needitnow com au has the same prices as wotif but they're not crooks.
I've had fine experiences with Wotif. Most of the offerings are non-opaque, pricing is OK, and you can usually figure out what the "mystery" ones are. How do you figure them as "crooks"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.