Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JAXBA
FAQ

When is [insert airline here] joining oneworld???
Which airlines are lined up to join?
See list below and
https://www.oneworld.com/member-airlines/overview
Another useful page for official announcements is: https://www.oneworld.com/news-information/oneworldnews

Current members elect (officially announced and currently aligning processes):

WY - Oman Air
Announced 20JUN22, with a target of '2024' - no indication yet when in 2024 this may be. https://www.oneworld.com/news/2022-0...-join-oneworld

Expected members:

FJ - Fiji Airways
Currently the only oneworld Connect member, FJ stated 28FEB24 that they would like to seek full membership and would apply in Q3 2024.Full membership may still take until 2025/2026. #1489 and https://onemileatatime.com/news/fiji-airways-oneworld/

EI - Aer Lingus
EI's new owners, IAG (owners of existing members BA+IB), stated before acquisition that they fully intended EI to rejoin, and have restated the intention since completing the purchase. EI has not yet been publically 'invited' by oneworld but should join eventually. When? When it's announced... When will EI become a full member of Oneworld?
Originally Posted by Willie Walsh via USA Today - 18NOV16
Walsh said it was too early to set a precise date for when Aer Lingus might officially join.
“We don’t have a specific timeline. We’re working as quickly as we can," he said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...-ceo/94064688/

Potential members:
Well, that's what the discussion below is all about! Heard a rumour? Think oneworld should chase a particular airline to join or switch? Make your case!

Print Wikipost

Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:57 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SurbitonFlyer
Opps light the torch paper with that one.

Generally it's for 2 reasons - one is I get their A380 - generally I really don't like A380's - I find the service is quite impersonal and they just seat so many business class passengers the whole thing is a bit 'downgraded'. I absolutely detest the layout being literally sat next to someone. Secondly their service is just utterly pathetic, you see a steward every now and again, generally I am gagging for a drink by the time they come around, I normally find I have to use the call button which I then feel guilty for. Things like running out of express passes for arrivals, never ever taking off on time (I use LAX to MEL a lot).

I know this sounds quite spoilt but I do a lot of travel and its amazing how something which once seemed amazing when you start travelling business class you soon start to find fault with. I also got very used to being on the upper deck on BA where the privacy plus service were just fantastic. I like Cathay as I find their service absolutely great, the on board staff are so friendly it make, to me, a huge difference
No worries at all. And your response is more than reasonable!
Old Sep 9, 2013, 9:35 pm

Programs: CX Gold, QF Bronze
Maybe CX can attract CA (Air China) to switch from Star to OW.
Also, AA can sponsor Air Alaska and Westjet to join OW.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 5:11 am

Programs: AY Gold, A3 Gold, UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by derek2010
Maybe CX can attract CA (Air China) to switch from Star to OW.
Also, AA can sponsor Air Alaska and Westjet to join OW.
Neither is very likely...
More likey that CA would drawn CX into Star...
Old Sep 11, 2013, 2:43 am
Suspended

Programs: CX MPO
unless CA is able to mount a full takeover, CX will also never switch to *. More possibilities are, in no strict order:

- KE deciding to leave ST due to the current spat with DL;
- one between CZ and MU leaving ST (the latter more likely);
- QR or some other mideast carrier wooing CA out with better terms, conditions and connections. CA was dreaming of become one of the cornerstones of * on par with LH and UA, but never attained, furthermore * lost most of its appeal in the last couple of years, so perhaps a rethinking is in order.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Air India looking at oneworld if Star Alliance membership falls through

Originally Posted by Business Standard

State-owned Air India is looking at exploring an alliance with airline grouping ‘oneworld’ if its application for membership is not processed by Star Alliance by the end of this month.

“We cannot wait endlessly for induction into Star Alliance. The members are scheduled to meet and vote at the end of this month. If we do not receive a positive response, we will proceed with our talks with Qatar Airways for membership in OneWorld”, said a senior official in Air India. Air India’s application for membership is pending with Star Alliance since May,2008.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 9:12 am

Programs: Bonvoy, Golden Circle, Marco Polo, MileagePlus, SKYMILES
well... i love to see jetairways to OW more than Air india....
but better than nothing!!! welcome Air india!!! HAHAHA
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
This would be great for oneworld and really bad for Star, also in terms of image.
I would be happy to see Air India joining oneworld, with UL and QR would give oneworld a predominant presence in India's subcontinent.
I don't know what Star is going to do, for sure it's very strange that an alliance keeps a member on hold for FIVE year (5!!!). I'd be surprised if Air India at the end joined Star. oneworld membership is not automatic, but Air India could still stay independent for a while.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:28 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, CCR, Star Alliance Gold
Seeing as the last time I posted to ask about Qatar joining - they happily did a few days after and I'm booked on them for my next trip to Oz, however it's going via Manila where I have a few days stopover. From Manila I'm getting a direct flight to Melb with Philippines airlines? any chance they will follow suit and join OW? - also has anyone flown that route in business class? - I got a bit worried when the travel agency we use said it was on a safety watch list..........as long as they champagne I'll be good!
Old Sep 11, 2013, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold
Why not Hainan airlines? They have codeshares w aa and airberlin already, in fact I just put some miles from a hx flight to my topbonus acct?

Cathay may not be happy w the hong Kong airlines, but I doubt they're big enough to make a huge difference
Old Sep 11, 2013, 7:03 pm

AIR INDIA!!

no no no no no-bad bad bad Air India sucks, too much instability , pathetic management
on the other hand probably the only Indian carrier that won't go into liquidation due to tax payer money being poured into it

I'd rather OW introduce LCC membership with different terms and get Indigo and Jetstar to join

as for Hainan-CX will block it not just because CX hates HK airlines ( if Hainan wanted to enter OW-which genius in their management decided to invest in a direct competitor to a OW founder.

This could be resolved by Hainan dissolving HK airlines and handing it over to CX

BUT THE BIGGER ONE IS
CA
do they really want CX part of which they own to partner with their biggest competitor in Beijing???!!
Old Sep 11, 2013, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Kachjc
AIR INDIA!!

no no no no no-bad bad bad Air India sucks, too much instability , pathetic management
on the other hand probably the only Indian carrier that won't go into liquidation due to tax payer money being poured into it

I'd rather OW introduce LCC membership with different terms and get Indigo and Jetstar to join

as for Hainan-CX will block it not just because CX hates HK airlines ( if Hainan wanted to enter OW-which genius in their management decided to invest in a direct competitor to a OW founder.

This could be resolved by Hainan dissolving HK airlines and handing it over to CX

BUT THE BIGGER ONE IS
CA
do they really want CX part of which they own to partner with their biggest competitor in Beijing???!!
HAHA that would be hilarious, if hainan handed over HK airlines to CX on a silver platter... I guess that's why there's no anti-trust laws in HK. Even the Dragonair takeover prob wouldn't have flown in the states.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 8:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Kachjc

Old Sep 12, 2013, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by bbmatt
HAHA that would be hilarious, if hainan handed over HK airlines to CX on a silver platter... I guess that's why there's no anti-trust laws in HK. Even the Dragonair takeover prob wouldn't have flown in the states.
exactly- it would never happen!!

as for Dragonair- well it depends-remember CX was banned from flying to China except Beijing- so it is a different scenario

KA could basically fly anywhere-SYD was going to be launched and the CX took over
Old Sep 13, 2013, 7:33 am

Programs: Executive Club Silver
I bet Air India is using Oneworld as a negotiating tactic. They couldn't join Star due to IT issues among others, I hardly doubt they could join OW unless they radically change the way they operate (lack of political interference for a start).

China has hinted at liberalising International services and dumping the one airline one route rule, if the domestic air system was de-regulated it would change everything.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 11:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: CX MPO
Originally Posted by PotNoodle
I bet Air India is using Oneworld as a negotiating tactic. They couldn't join Star due to IT issues among others, I hardly doubt they could join OW unless they radically change the way they operate (lack of political interference for a start).

China has hinted at liberalising International services and dumping the one airline one route rule, if the domestic air system was de-regulated it would change everything.
+1.
In any case the entire AI saga has damaged a lot * if only for the image, and Lufthansa in particular, and whatever the final outcome will leave Emirates, Qatar, Etihad and Turkish as the undisputed winners. I can also notice that, negotiating tactics or else, Skyteam seems neglected as an option

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.