Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

"Longest" luggage tag with OW airlines, any experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2008, 12:37 am
Ambassador: Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold

Due to schedule changes etc. I need to take a pretty strange flight pattern with Oneworld, AA+LA. I would need to check my luggage through 3 int'l - int' transits to reach its final destination (with 2 additional technical stops on the way). I suppose it shouldn't be an issue to check luggage through all the way but wanted ask for any experience?

Thanks
Old Apr 9, 2008, 12:53 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
4 flight numbers - no problem assuming (1) no transits are more than 24 hours, (2) any overnight transits are at airports that allow overnight interlined baggage (okay for most major airports but not all), (3) all the airlines involved do baggage interlining (some airlines do not especially if separate tickets are involved) and (4) no transits are illegal connections (airlines may be reluctant to through check and accept some responsibility for baggage going astray in a short connection).

It would help if you give your routing and operating airlines for each leg, indicate if they are on the same ticket or separate tickets (and say which legs are on which ticket).
Old Apr 9, 2008, 1:26 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
On the back end of my DONE4 got a ticketed

HKG-(SIN)-CMB (on CX - last leg DONE4)
CMB-SIN (on UL on QF return ticket)
SIN-SYD (on QF return ticket)

all 3-4 hr connections.
Needless to say luggage misconnected and I got my luggage back three days later in SYD. Apparently it had been tagged backwards at the Central HK drop-off point
Old Apr 9, 2008, 2:54 am

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
4 flights, but not successfully...

ANC-(AA)-DFW-(AA)-SFO-(BA)-LHR-(AY)-HEL

And no, it wasn't lost at LHR. It was lost at SFO, but AY had to pay.

I've done that route again since, and I chose to recollect my bags at SFO...
Old Apr 9, 2008, 3:17 pm

Programs: BA GGL
QF refused to do a SYD-AKL-SYD-HKG-LHR, all stops less than 12 hours, so the limit might be 4?
Old Apr 9, 2008, 5:39 pm

Programs: QP Life, AA Nothing, QF Bronze
I've had 4 different flight numbers on the same tag. The bag made it. IAD-DFW (AA) -LAX (AA) -SYD (QF) -CBR(QF). Had to pick up and redeposit in SYD of course, but no dramas along the way.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 5:51 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I always thought there was a limit of 3 connections maximum and that no airline anywhere would issue more.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
3 cnx = 4 flight numbers; yes?
Old Apr 9, 2008, 6:24 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by matt123
QF refused to do a SYD-AKL-SYD-HKG-LHR, all stops less than 12 hours, so the limit might be 4?
No, that will be because you are going back through SYD it may (will?) cause problems with scanning the bag tags.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 7:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold / O6 Diamond
**double post**
Old Apr 9, 2008, 7:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold / O6 Diamond
I did HKG-LHR(CX)-MAN(BA)-BHD(BACitiExpress) - Bags got to BHD in one piece which was a miracle.

Although from my personal experiences - do always check whether the check-in agent has checked through your bags to the correct destination.

Once, my bags were almost tagged to BFS (Belfast Int'l) rather than to BHD (Belfast City), this is likely to occur if the agent is unfamiliar with the destination. Also, beware that agents might tag your bag to another destination (ICN rather than TPE) - again almost happened to me a year ago on a NCL-LHR-HKG-TPE trip.

Moral of the story - ALWAYS check the tags yourself. Don't rely on the agent checking you in!!
Old Apr 9, 2008, 8:16 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by serfty
3 cnx = 4 flight numbers; yes?
Correct. Everyone here is saying 4 flight numbers are fine but no one was specifically saying that 4 is also the maximum.
I just wanted to clarify that it can never be more than 4 and to see what the reason is behind this restriction (other than the obvious one that it just gets messy).
Old Apr 9, 2008, 8:51 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by chilledflyer
Moral of the story - ALWAYS check the tags yourself. Don't rely on the agent checking you in!!
Yes, sound advice. I never leave the check-in desk until I see the agent physcially put the tag onto my bag (not just having the tag printed out) and the tag is correct.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 10:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott TE, Hhonors Dia
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Correct. Everyone here is saying 4 flight numbers are fine but no one was specifically saying that 4 is also the maximum.
I just wanted to clarify that it can never be more than 4 and to see what the reason is behind this restriction (other than the obvious one that it just gets messy).
I had 5 flights once, and it was accomodated with some difficulty. I can't remember the exact routing but I believe it was something like SFO-LAX-JFK-LHR-IST-ESB. The AA computer system couldn't print a luggage tag with more than 4 flight numbers, so it had to be done by hand.

It looked like their stack of tags was about 20 years old. Maybe they were, because mine came off in LAX. Didn't see the bags for about 2 weeks.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 12:04 pm
Ambassador: Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Thanks for all the comments and experiences. I am currently at LAX, sitting in the OW F lounge at TBIT and earlier today I checked by luggage for my 4 flight journey (+two techinal stops)....it was a bit of a hassle at the checkin and few laughs from the supervisor after they saw my ITN but they managed to check my luggage through four connections with 2 luggage tags attached to each of the bags...so I have total of four tags with two of then stating "transfer conjuction"...lets see what comes on the belt at my destination...

They were also able to issue all 4 boarding passes so ^^ both for AA and LA. Oneworld at its best for me (if I just get my gear at the end...) Even if I don't, this still saved me an extra one (or two) immigrations and customs..

On a different note, I hope today's 767 down to SCL/EZE has been converted to Premium Business..

Cheers
NWS

Last edited by NoWindowSeat; Apr 17, 2008 at 12:24 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.