Wiki Posts
Search

16 v 20 sectors

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2008, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL
Unhappy 16 v 20 sectors

I think it might be in other treads (new to this) but has any one found a way around the new limit? I have flown 3 RTW tickets all using 20 sectors in the last 6 months, and planning to make a few more. I had this from the BA agent I use:
2 pnr solution will not help. That was a previous thing where a ticket was issued against a dummy paper ticket. That will be removed with the E ticket mandate.
Even if you were to book 2 pnrs and sell them as 2 seperate oneways, that would not work on a round-the-world.
A circle trip does not have a breakpoint and cannot be divided.

All your planned bookings should be issued before 1th of June.
If you need to change an issued paper ticket, that can be solved.
As you already have a paper base, it could be used to generate 2 seperate e tickets.
any other pointers in booking these tickets in D classwould help. I normaly start them from ARN.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 5:12 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Spend a lot of money by June.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 6:26 pm

No work around. Best advice would be to stay calm and accept it.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 6:52 pm

Programs: QF WP, LTG, QP on hold
Don't scare me like that! I'm ticketing my 20 sector DONE4 on Monday.

Audrey
Old Mar 25, 2008, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by matt123
I think it might be in other treads (new to this) but has any one found a way around the new limit?
Will not be possible. Been disscussed in posts 4, 6, 12 and other posts with oneworld4u
Old Mar 25, 2008, 10:35 pm

Programs: *Alliance, OneWorld
I just picked up my first, and hopefully not last, 20-segment ticket here in NRT this morning. It is pretty funny to see the huge stack of paper tickets. When I went to CX to check in for the first flight, the agent was suitably impressed.

This trip will take me through August, including two return trips to my SEA home base, but I am thinking I should ticket a future trip by June even if travel won't begin until much later in the year. That's not a problem, is it? I may even try to do two, but that would be a considerable financial stretch.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP
It is not a problem under current rules but OW has not published the new rules yet, so there is always room for doubt until then. If nothing funny happens you will have a couple of months to issue the ticket, one year after that to fly the first segment and one year validity after that.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by deepbluesky
I just picked up my first, and hopefully not last, 20-segment ticket here in NRT this morning. It is pretty funny to see the huge stack of paper tickets. When I went to CX to check in for the first flight, the agent was suitably impressed.
Hehe I remember the bemused looks I got at NRT JL check in with the stack of handwritten tix. And at SIN transfer desk they were flipping through my booklet rather inquisitively, claiming they were all so excited as they've never seen "such a thing" in their lives.

Alas this poor student can't pay for more than 1 DONE4 at once, so it looks like my new ex-MNL itinerary will be my last 20 segment ticket. Unless they come up with some IT solution and ease the restriction when the time comes to book yet another itinerary.

Last edited by Keith009; Mar 26, 2008 at 12:53 am Reason: clarity
Old Mar 26, 2008, 1:56 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
This 16 segment limit raises the value of A/DONE3 quite a lot (compared to 4-6 continent ITNs, that is). From NA-EUR-ASIA ticket you'll still get out quite a lot, nearly the max. available.

On the other hand, especially for A/DONE5/6 I see very little value/use in the future. I think any LONEx is still good for those who are able to suffer it through in the first place..
Old Mar 26, 2008, 1:28 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
16 segments means may as well go *A (assuming they keep the 24 segment rule)
Old Mar 26, 2008, 3:32 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
16 segments means may as well go *A (assuming they keep the 24 segment rule)
If one is using OWEs as means of accruing a lot of miles/points (in addition to any travel for - gasp - business or leisure purposes) then the OWE will still be streets ahead of any *A or Skyteam RTW product.

I'm tempted to start a thread exploring "maximum" routes for xONE3/4/5/6s once the dreaded 16 segment rule is in place. I won't, because it seems a bit like touring the casket shop when you feel fine.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by Gardyloo

I'm tempted to start a thread exploring "maximum" routes for xONE3/4/5/6s once the dreaded 16 segment rule is in place. I won't, because it seems a bit like touring the casket shop when you feel fine.

Gardyloo, your restraint is appreciated by other mourners.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 12:26 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Well, let's see when all oneworld airports are actually able to handle electronic tickets. They might not all be ready by when oneworld or IATA would like them to be ready.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 3:11 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass, lots of old plastic claiming to be precious metal
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Well, let's see when all oneworld airports are actually able to handle electronic tickets. They might not all be ready by when oneworld or IATA would like them to be ready.
Do you have any particular locations in mind?

CMB is one possible - The only time recently that I flew through there they had to 'telex' (I assume SITA message) for confirmation of my amended reservation.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 6:55 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by satprof
Do you have any particular locations in mind?

CMB is one possible - The only time recently that I flew through there they had to 'telex' (I assume SITA message) for confirmation of my amended reservation.
Yes, CMB can't do Etix at the moment. I am also not sure how well Ekaterinburg, Harare and Almaty are prepared for this day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.