Wiki Posts
Search

Oneworld FF program comparison

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2008, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
Oneworld FF program comparison

Has anyone written a comparison guide outlining each members requirements for Sapphire and Emerald status?

Such a guide would be very handy and I might write one someday if no one else does.

Currently, I expect to maintain AA EXP but want to add one Oneworld Emerald status for the purpose of US lounge access. I would credit primarily AA, IB, and BA flights in business and F class. Who gives me Emerald status the quickest?

BA looks like they might be a winner.
QF might be a good choice but their miles seems to be of little use.

AY and CX simply require to many miles.

I don't have a very complete understanding of the LAN, IB, JAL, RJ, and MA options. How hard is Emerald?
Old Mar 5, 2008, 7:21 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
I chose QFF when faced with your decision. Really it is only BAEC and QFF that are good at this game, and for me QFF is considerably better than BAEC (but you have to do your own earn/burn calculations). Emerald on the other plans is generally harder to earn; for example on MA it is by invitation only. But each plan has something good about it (IB for example gets you free parking and car washes at MAD). Just remember that most are enforcing the 4 segments per year requirement for status.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 9:58 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
If someone is willing to put the effort in to create a guide, please pop over to *A forum, click on the *A useful reference links sticky and open up BlondeBomber's *G comparison chart. It is very valuable and an easy to follow format.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 8:23 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by wanaflyforless
...Currently, I expect to maintain AA EXP but want to add one Oneworld Emerald status for the purpose of US lounge access...
For that purpose wouldn't AC membership, at EXP discounted price, be a better solution? I am basing this on the assumption that for you AA redeemable miles are of greater value than other FFP's miles. Additionally, AC members now get free WiFi, a big plus IMO.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Viajero
For that purpose wouldn't AC membership, at EXP discounted price, be a better solution? I am basing this on the assumption that for you AA redeemable miles are of greater value than other FFP's miles. Additionally, AC members now get free WiFi, a big plus IMO.
I want access to the AA F lounge at OHare (my home airport) when flying domestic. That is what AC membership will not get me but non AA Emerald will.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 2:01 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
If someone is willing to put the effort in to create a guide, please pop over to *A forum, click on the *A useful reference links sticky and open up BlondeBomber's *G comparison chart. It is very valuable and an easy to follow format.
I hate to say it but, Skyteam has a great comparison site. http://www.gnopps.com/skyteam/
There are charts for earning miles between carriers and elite comparison. How come someone hasn't done this for oneworld? I'm willing to help.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 3:51 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
I'd say part of the reason is that none of the OW programs are directly comparable in the same way as the SkyTeam miles/segments comparison

BA has Tier Points and the back to zero rule, Qantas has Status Credits - both which require indepth analysis of a points table and fare classes.
BA won't earn on AA transatlantic and vice versa.
AA restrictions on access to lounges to its own OW elites.
Almost all the programs have rules which require minimum trips on the carriers metal.

So I think to pick a OW program requires much more individual analysis of flight patterns and what you want to get out of the program

That said - general rule is:
AA has best earn/ burn
QF best for getting Emerald if flying F/J
Old Mar 6, 2008, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP 6+ MM, AC, DL (MM) & LT SC; All Airlines 10+MM, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Plat
I'd stay with AA and get AC membership at discount

Is there a remote possibility that you may not be able to maintain your EXP in pursuit of Emerald on another carrier? As long as you are able to maintain EXP on AA I'd still do the overage on AA for the valuable AA miles. If you were to give up EXP I think you will be walking away from a lot of complimentary domestic 500 mile upgrades for your domestic trips. If you do a bit of domestic travel and were to buy those 500 mile thingies you may end up paying a lot more than what it costs as EXP to get AC membership.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 5:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by moa999
That said - general rule is:

QF best for getting Emerald if flying F/J
if you can use a European Address, then BA can be a lot easier than QF with the 800 TPs needed to get to Gold vs the 1400/1200 to attain/maintain with Qantas

Dave
Old Mar 6, 2008, 5:33 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by moa999
I'd say part of the reason is that none of the OW programs are directly comparable in the same way as the SkyTeam miles/segments comparison
*A has similar complexity (probably more given many more programs and a mix of mile/kilometer-based, zone-based, route-based, $-based, etc).
Old Mar 6, 2008, 5:35 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

But if you achieve OW sapphire or emerald on another FFP you don't need paid AC membership because lounge access is included as a status benefit
Old Mar 6, 2008, 6:01 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
But if you achieve OW sapphire or emerald on another FFP you don't need paid AC membership because lounge access is included as a status benefit
You only loose because almost every other program has a worse earn/burn ratio than AA and because you are not getting free WiFi in the AC...

Since most programs enforce the 4 segment rule the OP should look for which airline he can actually achieve this.
This might rule out the majority of the programs anyway. The other thing do consider is lifetime status if this is a goal as well (I know AA offers this as well).
Old Mar 7, 2008, 8:00 am

Programs: AA PLT, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum, FPC/Accor Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Personally I could see going for a different Emerald if you could not achieve it on AA, but only for that reason. As an EXP it's only $250 for lounge access. Weigh that against your 100% mileage bonus (or the difference between that and whatever program, typically 50% top tier) and the value of the miles just blows $250 out of the water by itself. Add earn/burn rates to the equation and it's sweeter still.

I understand you want access to the Flagship lounge, but is it worth that much? If free drinks is the interest you could get a QF club membership instead of AC membership and I believe that problem is solved.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
You only loose because almost every other program has a worse earn/burn ratio than AA and because you are not getting free WiFi in the AC...
If used in the right circumstances, other program miles can be more valuable than AA. Take BA miles for example. If I am going to South America in high season OR need a one-way anywhere, BA will cost me way less miles than AA. I disagree that I only loose.
While I do agree with AA being better in general, that does not mean I don't want to strategically diversify. I just need to plan the strategy right.

As for free wifi - I have a way to get T-Mobile for free already. So not much lost.
Since most programs enforce the 4 segment rule the OP should look for which airline he can actually achieve this.
I travel all over the world and plan my own travel. Getting four segments on any airline I choose should not be much of a problem. I do, however, find the BA requirement of 4 segments to get Silver, then another 4 to get Gold to be a little annoying. (I can make it work if I choose to.)
The other thing do consider is lifetime status if this is a goal as well (I know AA offers this as well).
I already have AA lifetime PLT, the highest lifetime status AA offers.
I really want to add a lifetime status on both Star and Skyteam. Star will be BMI if they survive or maybe UA if BMI goes away - but I am having a hard time convincing myself to fly UA metal a whole million for it. Skyteam might be AF - I am thinking of changing my Skyteam credit all to AF for to start this long process.
Earning a second Oneworld lifetime status would be meaningless unless an Emerald status were attainable.
Originally Posted by pjoalfa
Personally I could see going for a different Emerald if you could not achieve it on AA, but only for that reason. As an EXP it's only $250 for lounge access. Weigh that against your 100% mileage bonus (or the difference between that and whatever program, typically 50% top tier) and the value of the miles just blows $250 out of the water by itself. Add earn/burn rates to the equation and it's sweeter still.
If crediting premium fares, other programs often earn 200% or better between the COS and status bonuses. All my coach fares will stay with AA.
What blows away the $250?
The earn burn rates are not always sweeter as already covered.
Originally Posted by pjoalfa
I understand you want access to the Flagship lounge, but is it worth that much? If free drinks is the interest you could get a QF club membership instead of AC membership and I believe that problem is solved.
The beverage choices available to me at ORD F lounge are better quality than what I would get at the AC. I also appreciate the fact it is self serve.
I also enjoy the food available at the ORD F lounge. I like the selection of smoked salmon, shrimp, shish kabobs, and fruit options (usually including Strawberries, one of my favorites). For me this access means not having to buy lunch/dinner at the airport when flying Eagle or any AA flight without food service in the cabin I am seated in (usually F domestically).
Originally Posted by ROW2Aisle
Is there a remote possibility that you may not be able to maintain your EXP in pursuit of Emerald on another carrier?
I wouldn't let that happen.
Originally Posted by ROW2Aisle
If you do a bit of domestic travel and were to buy those 500 mile thingies you may end up paying a lot more than what it costs as EXP to get AC membership.
But I want access to the King of ACs and he says my money once a year isn't good enough to get in!

Thanks everyone for your contributions!

(I wasn't really expecting a debate as to whether diversifying is a good idea, but I have enjoyed it anyway. I think I can figure that one out for myself knowing my needs/habits. Rather I was wondering if LAN, IB, JAL, RJ, and MA might compete with BA/QF as the best way to get Emerald status. It sounds like the answer is no.)

Last edited by wanaflyforless; Mar 7, 2008 at 11:52 pm
Old Mar 8, 2008, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
FWIW, last via YUP's I Re qualified QF WP (1200 SC's) in 3 days using Y/KUPs to the value of <USD2500. (11 segments)

[To initially Qualify QF WP, it's 1400 SC's.]

It was a true MR

The fares I used (Ex BOS) are no longer available at the prices I paid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.