Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Where is the cheapest origination for D RTW?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2008, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage

I'd like to book 3 One World, 4 continent D tickets. I live in the US but will gladly originate in another country to save money. Which country outside the US makes the most sense?
Old Feb 24, 2008, 12:55 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM, AC SE*100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I believe it is Mauritus. A bit of a commute for you from the USA though
Old Feb 24, 2008, 4:45 am

Location: Based in London but away ~4 months a year, often in Bali
Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ACfly
I believe it is Mauritus. A bit of a commute for you from the USA though
Mauritus is a not as strong a winner for DONEx tickets than it is for a AONEx - especially with recent exchange rate changes. The OP could mention which 4 continents, and ideally which cities, he will travel to. Needing to add a continent would add to the cost and hassle. Likewise adding a separate flight. E.g. I don't believe going out of your way to get to MRU would make sense if you already planned to go to South Africa.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 5:31 am
Suspended

I believe CMB is the clear winner now at 4200USD for DONE4
Old Feb 24, 2008, 5:35 am

Location: Based in London but away ~4 months a year, often in Bali
Originally Posted by rtwdone4
I believe CMB is the clear winner now at 4200USD for DONE4
Has anyone actually priced that out / ticketed it at that price? I assumed it was the old price from when CMB was last a valid starting location and actually getting it ticketed with that base fare would not be possible.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 7:42 am

2/23/08 PER EXPERT FLYER

JNB $ 5,194
CMB $ 5,489
MRU $ 5,649 ( + $ 300 fee by local rep )
ARN $ 7,108 ( + $ 50 fee by local rep )
NRT $ 7,249

( for reference )
LIM $ 7,500
ORD $ 8,300
Old Feb 24, 2008, 7:57 am

Programs: QR Gold/CX Silver/EK Silver/EY Gold/Spire Royal Ambassador/Hilton Diamond
I think Jakarta is cheapest in Asia $5928
Old Feb 24, 2008, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by anc305
...( for reference )
LIM $ 7,500...
Be careful with tickets ex Latin America as some countries attract very high sales taxes. Peru's is 19%.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 9:43 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Welcome to FT!

"Cheapest" is a misleading term. The base price is one thing, the taxes, service charges and uneven fuel surcharges are another, and of course the cost of accessing the start point, whether measured in dollars/euros/whatever or in spendable FF miles, is another, and the on-site costs at the origin point (hotels or other subsistence expenses while waiting for your first flight etc.) is yet another.

Currency fluctuations are increasingly a big issue. Last time I looked (and it's a moving target on a daily basis) South Africa was cheaper for D-class OWEs than Mauritius - if one is translating ZAR or MUR to USD. In Asia, last time I looked, Manila was the cheapest place, with yen v. dollar exchanges having knocked Japan out of the top spot. I'll believe the Sri Lanka prices when somebody gets ticketed. My personal belief is that it's a case of not updating tariffs on the part of CX or RJ.

In Europe, Sweden seems to have lost "first place" to Gibraltar by a few pounds/dollars. Now that IB serves GIB, it can be a decent starting place if one is looking at moving on to North or South America directly; unfortunately BA still goes to LGW from GIB, so any longhaul options after the first segment are constrained, or else one needs to burn a segment due to the LGW-LHR connection problem. (And since AA is leaving LGW, no North America transits now possible except on BA to the Caribbean.)

All part of the jigsaw puzzle; love it or hate it.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 9:53 am

Gardyloo is right. I'd also add the cost of buying an extra [unwanted] continent in some cases. For me buying an OWE ex-Africa means paying for a DONE5/6 where a DONE4/5 would do if bought elsewhere.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 11:43 am

Fiji?

I see the RTW fare from Fiji is pretty good as well, (I believe in the 5K range) and there are nonstop flights from LAX to Nadi so it is not as out of the way as Sri Lanka or MRU...But I am not sure how one would construct the RTW out of Fiji even through One World lists a fare. None of the true One World members fly there, though Qantas does codeshare with Air Pacific to Sydney and Melbourne (Maybe they do fly there own planes)

Does anyone know?
Old Feb 24, 2008, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Viajero
Gardyloo is right. I'd also add the cost of buying an extra [unwanted] continent in some cases. For me buying an OWE ex-Africa means paying for a DONE5/6 where a DONE4/5 would do if bought elsewhere.
I've been planning an RTW itinerary where significant travel is in Europe, Asia Australia and New Zealand, with CAI, ATH, HKG, AKL, SYD, AYQ, PER and CNS being the cities of interest. So far, the options I have end up wasting North America/South America (OWE) or Africa (Circle Trip Explorer) but the continent count is the same.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by sammyglobal
......But I am not sure how one would construct the RTW out of Fiji even through One World lists a fare...
The oneworld fare you see listed is for Global Explorer. This product allows the use of Air Pacific (as well as Aer Lingus and Gulf Air), which together with the ow airlines enables the construction of a RTW itnerary ex-NAN.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 7:21 pm

Programs: qantas platinum (OWE), hyatt platinum, hertz gold
Paying for the fare from fiji.

Originally Posted by Viajero
The oneworld fare you see listed is for Global Explorer. This product allows the use of Air Pacific (as well as Aer Lingus and Gulf Air), which together with the ow airlines enables the construction of a RTW itnerary ex-NAN.
These seem like amazing value at the moment. An AGLOB34 fare for $AUD8161 plus taxes. Anyone know the logistics of organising/paying this from a Fiji point of view?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.