Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Any Cathay flexibility in substitute for CMB?

Old May 25, 07, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Has anyone holding xONEx ending in CMB asked Cathay to drop them off somewhere other than BKK?

Based on a couple of reports here, one can presumably insist that they put you on UL into CMB (though arm-twisting may be needed) but many hard-core rtw folks who do end-on-end trips won't see much point in that. BKK is an expensive starting place for OW (interestingly a cheap usd5000 for the rather limited UA/EK rtw, though). Thus it might be useful to know that HKG-CMB can be turned into e.g. HKG-NRT just for asking.
Old May 25, 07, 1:30 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
I've asked them to change it to finish somewhere else, but no luck. They said I can just throw away that last leg. They insist that a *ONE* ticket must finish in the originating country as per the ticketing condition. They see that since (in my case) they've already put me on the UL flight to get into CMB, their obligation is fulfilled. If I already have another ex-CMB ticket, I suspect I'd be put on another UL flight to leave CMB. In my case, I was literally just 2 days out. I was going to pay when the suspension started.

The CMB office did offer me a ticket ex-BKK, but I'd have to pay ex-BKK prices. As you noted, ex-BKK prices are relatively high.
Old May 25, 07, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Leumas View Post
...They see that since (in my case) they've already put me on the UL flight to get into CMB, their obligation is fulfilled...
Hard to argue against that.
Old May 25, 07, 11:40 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
Yeah, I know I was pushing my luck. I even tried to argue with their own press release that change of route and time is free of charge. However, that only applies to CX's own ticket, not tickets that involve other airlines. I was hoping they could be a bit more compassionate because I do want to buy that ticket and spend some time in Sri Lanka. (I thoroughly enjoyed my time there last time.) I'll be delaying the flight to CMB to the last minute my ticket will allow and hopefully flights will have resumed by then.

Anyway, I've got a reward ticket to get me home in the mean time.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: