Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Same Cities count as a segment

Same Cities count as a segment

Old Jan 19, 2007, 1:14 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Austinrunner
On the other hand, AA calls this award a "oneworld" award.
So - other FFPs also have something called a OneWorld award, but yet the rules are very different.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
So - other FFPs also have something called a OneWorld award, but yet the rules are very different.
And surprisingly, it's not obvious that a "oneworld award" unlike a "oneworld RTW" would have carrier-specific differences. I myself would not have made that assumption off the top of my head, simply because it's not the type of award I've ever booked.

So while I agree, now knowing that it's AA-specific, I cannot fault the question being asked here in error.

Steve
Old Jan 19, 2007, 1:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Very true, hence the reason that I entitled the stickey "oneworld awards using
American Airlines miles." And this is the reason that various contributors to this forum have suggested the creation of other stickeys containing the rules for other oneworld airlines, e.g., "oneworld awards using Qantas miles."
Old Jan 19, 2007, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I would have seen this akin to posting a question about a AA partner award where booking travel on BA in the BA forum.
That wouldn't do as it would get in the way of all the OT threads.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 2:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Austinrunner
Very true, hence the reason that I entitled the stickey "oneworld awards using
American Airlines miles." And this is the reason that various contributors to this forum have suggested the creation of other stickeys containing the rules for other oneworld airlines, e.g., "oneworld awards using Qantas miles."
But if someone pops onto FT looking for rules for a QFF award , where would be the obvious place to look , here or in the QF forum? I suggest that the logical place to look for/ask about QFF awards would be the QF forum.

Also, should someone manage to get the hang of the search function, would someone be more likely to search the forum of the scheme or not?

Personally I think that the OW forum is perfect for dealing with OW products since they are standard regardless of who isssues them, but that the own carrier forum is the best place for FF scheme specific questions

Dave
Old Jan 19, 2007, 3:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Also, should someone manage to get the hang of the search function, would someone be more likely to search the forum of the scheme or not?

Personally I think that the OW forum is perfect for dealing with OW products since they are standard regardless of who isssues them, but that the own carrier forum is the best place for FF scheme specific questions
Here here! ^

Whilst I love reading the OW forum, the biggest problem is that sometimes people seem to assume that it is an extension of AAnother forum, despite the fact that OW is a partnership of 8 airlines (soon to be 10).
Old Jan 19, 2007, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, IHG Plat
Personally I think that the OW forum is perfect for dealing with OW products since they are standard regardless of who isssues them, but that the own carrier forum is the best place for FF scheme specific questions.
I disAAgree.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I noticed that AA oneWORLD award specific sticky many moons ago and wondered about it.

I came to the conclusion that the reality is that AA do have the largest proportion of oneWORLD frequent flyer members and this us a USA based website; so it's possibly better off here than on the AA forum where it might get 'drowned' by all the other posts in that prolific forum.
Old Jan 20, 2007, 7:37 am
Original Poster

The questions pertain to OneWorld and the expertise within this forum cannot be replicated within the other airline forums.

I don't know how different the rules are withing BA/Qantas/etc. versus AA, but I I like the expertise being stored withing the OneWorld forum.

Conversely, I don't think many people in AA even know these AAwards exist and would benefit from OneWorld discussion from time to timel.
Old Jan 20, 2007, 9:32 am

Programs: SQ PPS, LH SEN, Amex something, nothing everywhere else
Since it appears we are in a generic two-cent throwing mood here, let me just add that I'm perfectly happy with the sticky being here rather than in the AA forum. While I agree it might not fit perfectly, I think it works well here.
Old Jan 20, 2007, 9:36 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AAaLot
The questions pertain to OneWorld and the expertise within this forum cannot be replicated within the other airline forums.

I don't know how different the rules are withing BA/Qantas/etc. versus AA, but I I like the expertise being stored withing the OneWorld forum.

Conversely, I don't think many people in AA even know these AAwards exist and would benefit from OneWorld discussion from time to timel.
AA OneWorld awards though have nothing to do with OneWorld in respect that no OneWorld carrier imposes any conditions on the awards - it is AA that manages both the bookings as well as the booking conditions. Therefore I would still stand by my original statement that AA OneWorld awards are largely irrelevant to this forum. I would however retract that statement if there were stickies that pertained to OW awards issued by other OW carriers.

Perhaps you should suggest to the AA mods that a sticky be set up on the AA forum that covers AA issues OW awards?
Old Jan 20, 2007, 1:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Traveloguy
Therefore I would still stand by my original statement that AA OneWorld awards are largely irrelevant to this forum. I would however retract that statement if there were stickies that pertained to OW awards issued by other OW carriers.
Then perhaps you should write one. I'm not aware of anything that would prevent you (or anyone else) from writing a "oneworld awards using [name your oneworld carrier] miles" sticky.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Bump

Even though their own website disagrees, AA claims that same cities (LHR,LGW) count as an extra segment.

I talked to 3 AAgents and everyone concurred.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 7:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by AAaLot
Bump

Even though their own website disagrees, AA claims that same cities (LHR,LGW) count as an extra segment.

I talked to 3 AAgents and everyone concurred.

I didn't see anything in the rules that said that a surface sector from LHR-LGW was not a sector, just that it does not count as your single permitted open jaw

Dave
Old Jan 22, 2007, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

I didn't see anything in the rules that said that a surface sector from LHR-LGW was not a sector, just that it does not count as your single permitted open jaw

Dave
Likewise, I did not see anything that said it was a sector. I am done with my ticket...does not affect me anymore.

It seems that if you are going through the trouble of listing same cities that it would imply that it 'is the same cities' and thus would count just like being at the same city.

It really should. From my talks with the AAgents I think this was a technical issue with their system rather than an actual rule.

Something about 'ARANCO' sp? Does anyone know what that means?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.