Search

MRU-LHR availability in A - strangeness

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2006, 1:43 pm
JSD
Original Poster

Programs: QF P1/LTG; AA 1MM; UA 1MM
MRU-LHR availability in A - strangeness

For my preferred date of travel, I'm waitlisted MRU-LHR in A. BA MRU say there is no availability in F or A. However, ExpertFlyer shows F4 A2 and a wide open seatmap.

If I try to book MRU-LHR on ba.com, I get an error message. However, if I book LHR-MRU return (with MRU-LHR on my preferred date) they are happy to sell me a seat, at the A fare.

Any ideas what is going on?
Old Aug 29, 2006, 2:03 pm
SLF

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by JSD
For my preferred date of travel, I'm waitlisted MRU-LHR in A. BA MRU say there is no availability in F or A. However, ExpertFlyer shows F4 A2 and a wide open seatmap.

If I try to book MRU-LHR on ba.com, I get an error message. However, if I book LHR-MRU return (with MRU-LHR on my preferred date) they are happy to sell me a seat, at the A fare.

Sounds like a POS issue. Have you tried calling a different BA office to see if their view of availability is different from BA-MRU, and if they're able to grab the seat for you?
Old Aug 29, 2006, 2:43 pm

Programs: OW Emerald (AA-EXP, BA-Gold)
Originally Posted by JSD

The same thing has happened to me. Originally, I planned to start an AONE5 from MRU in September and was told (by BA-MRU) that MRU-LHR was not available even though EF showed A inventory and few seats in First occupied. After being waitlisted for about a week, then it opened up and they were able to book me on MRU-LHR. But my plans changed and the trip has been delayed and we are going through the same thing again that you describe- EF showing A4 with no First seats showing as occupied- so am currently waitlisted. I'm counting on it opening up soon. Given the limited number of flights out from MRU, the alternatives are limited.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 6:01 am

Programs: BA, KLM FB, SN, Amex plat, SPG , HH
Originally Posted by SLF
Sounds like a POS issue. Have you tried calling a different BA office to see if their view of availability is different from BA-MRU, and if they're able to grab the seat for you?
Had the same problem, but phoned the BA office in Belgium, the Agent saw the same availability like I did on Experflyer, which was A2, and confirmed my seat. After 5 min. I checked MMB and I could choose my seat (2A), and EF showns now A1.

I'm just waiting for my final price qoute to book my tickets for my First RTW.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 8:36 am

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
BA is starting JNB-MRU service soon; Are they planning to nix the nonstop flight?
Old Aug 31, 2006, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by hauteboy
BA is starting JNB-MRU service soon; Are they planning to nix the nonstop flight?
IIRC the JNB-MRU service is very limited - once or twice weekly, no? - so unless the 4 weekly 744's from London are very light, it's just a local opportunity that Comair is taking.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 4:48 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by JohnAx
IIRC the JNB-MRU service is very limited - once or twice weekly, no? - so unless the 4 weekly 744's from London are very light, it's just a local opportunity that Comair is taking.
Yep, once a week on Saturdays.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 4:28 pm

Programs: OW Emerald (AA-EXP, BA-Gold)
I'm anxious to book this flight (BA6399) in October but could not find it listed at all on BA.com nor could I find it on AA.com-- although the OW timetable shows it operating in September. Talking with a BA agent on the phone just now, she said that the earliest she could find it is for Nov. 18. Does anyone have any independent, reliable information about when it commences?
Old Sep 3, 2006, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ReelChief
I'm anxious to book this flight (BA6399) in October but could not find it listed at all on BA.com nor could I find it on AA.com-- although the OW timetable shows it operating in September. Talking with a BA agent on the phone just now, she said that the earliest she could find it is for Nov. 18. Does anyone have any independent, reliable information about when it commences?
Amadeus shows that flight operating for the first time on November 25.

Edited to add: and so does ba.com

Last edited by Viajero; Sep 3, 2006 at 5:09 pm
Old Sep 3, 2006, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by Viajero
Amadeus shows that flight operating for the first time on November 25.

Edited to add: and so does ba.com
I think the start of the service was originally scheduled for June or July and it's been pushed back a couple of times. Once a week to a station they otherwise don't serve doesn't sound like a strong committment - I suppose OW will do "something" if you book and purchase an xONEx that begins MRU-JNB and then the service disappears...
Old Sep 4, 2006, 5:39 am

Once a week to a station they otherwise don't serve doesn't sound like a strong committment ...
But BA does serve MRU - ex London. And they already have the infrastructure there. I think they are hoping to catch some of the S Africans who love to holiday in Mauritius plus create a circular route for European tourists who want a beach and safari holiday. If it takes off I'd expect to see the frequencies increase.
Old Sep 4, 2006, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
But BA does serve MRU - ex London. And they already have the infrastructure there. I think they are hoping to catch some of the S Africans who love to holiday in Mauritius plus create a circular route for European tourists who want a beach and safari holiday. If it takes off I'd expect to see the frequencies increase.
The JNB-MRU service will be a Comair service, of course. If BA does their own ground handling at MRU rather than hiring it out to Air Mauritius, Comair would perhaps use that staff, although I'd expect BA to attach a significant cost to their effort. Based on a news article (Economist?) the Comair/BA relationship is somewhat acrimonious - despite flying as "BA" the two aren't in love, and Comair has begun a second brand to compete with itself in its BA incarnation. If I understand any of that, of course.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 1:48 am

The JNB-MRU service will be a Comair service, of course. If BA does their own ground handling at MRU rather than hiring it out to Air Mauritius, Comair would perhaps use that staff, although I'd expect BA to attach a significant cost to their effort. Based on a news article (Economist?) the Comair/BA relationship is somewhat acrimonious - despite flying as "BA" the two aren't in love, and Comair has begun a second brand to compete with itself in its BA incarnation. If I understand any of that, of course.
As a Comair customer I access the BA website and the look and feel of everything I experience says BA. So I do tend to forget that Comair isn't 100% BA. I had no idea about the acrimony. It's understandable that BA may not like Kulula cannibalising their business. But for Comair it's a case of either they do it or someone else will. Hope they aren't too ticked off; frankly I wouldn't like to see Comair's share price if they lose the BA franchise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.