Booking AONE4 ex-DPS

Old Aug 6, 06, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA, KLM FB, SN, Amex plat, SPG , HH
Booking AONE4 ex-DPS

I'll be in Bali this year for a business/leisure trip, and I would like to start there my first RTW, as it seems that DPS is one of the cheapest places to start a AONEx.

Anyone who has experience with booking a rtw-ticket ex-dps?
Old Aug 8, 06, 11:38 am

If you plan to begin by flying DPS-HKG (as opposed to heading to SWP on Qantas) you should have no problem buying the ticket from Cathay, although I've not seen any discussion here by anyone who's done it. At other locations, Cathay arguably has the best-qualified rtw people so you can expect that if you give them a valid request they will price it for you quickly and painlessly.

If you're in the U.S. call their 800 number and ask for their ticketing contact in Bali. Presumably you're well aware of the SITI ticketing rules that require you to buy the tickets where you start your journey, or pay a higher price.

In the past Cathay NAMRES hasn't had a problem booking your flights and letting you pass the PNR to the foreign booking office for the actual ticketing, but another popular Cathay starting point, Colombo, is so easy to deal with for everything that I haven't tested that recently.

CMB does follow a company rule that doesn't let them sell a ticket against a credit card more than 10 days before the traveler will arrive to physically sign a c/c slip, and if it's really company-wide you may find the same issue in DPS. It's only a concern if you feel you'll be hit by a price increase if you delay ticketing. Wire transfer solves the problem, but is a PITI for many U.S. citizens.

Remember that you'll need to end your rtw in Bali, and either begin the next, or make your way home from there. Perhaps the back half of that business-trip ticket will get you home?

If you follow through on this, please post your results to the forum for others who may be intersted in following your path.
Old Aug 8, 06, 2:14 pm

actually anywhere in indonesia

Originally Posted by JohnAx
Remember that you'll need to end your rtw in Bali, and either begin the next, or make your way home from there. Perhaps the back half of that business-trip ticket will get you home?
small error in that you can end the rtw anywhere in indonesia that ow has flights, ie jakarta, surubaya, etc...
Old Aug 8, 06, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by headinclouds
small error in that you can end the rtw anywhere in indonesia that ow has flights, ie jakarta, surubaya, etc...
Quite so, and best to make that clear so as not to add confusion to the OWE rules.
Old Aug 8, 06, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Thank you guys for the advices. I'll try to contact CX in Indonesia, but will also consider going thru CMB.

I can buy a RT BRU-CMB instead of BRU-DPS, and use my first two segments for CMB-HKG-DPS;

The purpose of this RTW is making it to AA EXP this year, need approx. 50K miles to reach it, and this in two trips, first from DPS back to BRU, and a second trip to CUN. So i can use some advice to maximise my itineray. I need a combination of long "real" first class flights and the best connection times, to minimize the days of travel, need to stay 8 OR 9 nights in Cancun.

This is my itinerary so far:

cmb-hkg-dps-hkg-SYD-lhr-BRU-hel-BRU-lhr-mex-dfw-jfk-yvr-dfw-CUN-jfk-hkg-cmb

The cities in capital are our planned stops.
Old Aug 8, 06, 8:14 pm

lhr-dxb-lhr is a popular MR.

If you need the CMB contact let me know.
Old Aug 8, 06, 8:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
For maximum miles you can, of course add two further segments in SWP. Perhaps SYD-AKL-SYD, or maximise your CX F time by doing SYD-HKG-LHR.

I don't understand why you would do HKG-DPS-HKG as a mileage run in J when you could do HKG-NRT-HKG in F (kaiseki meal, F wines, F seat, guaranteed AVOD - DPS may have a regional J).
Old Aug 9, 06, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by christep
I don't understand why you would do HKG-DPS-HKG as a mileage run in J when you could do HKG-NRT-HKG in F (kaiseki meal, F wines, F seat, guaranteed AVOD - DPS may have a regional J).
I appreciate your suggestion, but like I said in my first post,the main purpose for the first part of the trip is a Business/leisure trip to Bali (DPS).

One more question, Do I earn AA-miles If i Fly LHR-MEX with BA?
Old Aug 9, 06, 11:13 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by freggy
I appreciate your suggestion, but like I said in my first post,the main purpose for the first part of the trip is a Business/leisure trip to Bali (DPS).
Yes, you did, but after that you posted this:

Code:
cmb-hkg-dps-hkg-SYD-lhr-BRU-hel-BRU-lhr-mex-dfw-jfk-yvr-dfw-CUN-jfk-hkg-cmb

The cities in capital are our planned stops.
Old Aug 9, 06, 11:15 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by freggy
...One more question, Do I earn AA-miles If i Fly LHR-MEX with BA?
Yes.

Search this Thread