Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Preferred Business Class from CHC to DFW

Old Aug 3, 06, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime GLD, SPG Lifetime GLD

I have the AA reservation desk holding a OW130 award for next June, but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience in this matter to help steer me one way or the other.

My current flight is CHC-SYD-HNL-LAX-DFW. More segments than I wanted, but the only way to get J class and the return date I wanted. There is some availability a day earlier or five days later to go CHC-AKL-LAX-DFW but this is OT.

The SYD-HNL is on QF 747-300 and then HNL-LAX is 767-300 and LAX-DFW is 737-800. The last two segments are in first according to the on-hold itinerary.

What I'm wondering: Should I look at LAN for the SYD-SCL leg (showing as an A340-300) and then AA from SCL to DFW (767-300). I haven't checked for J availability on this route -- anyone have any thoughts on which routing would be preferred?

Last edited by Illini_Fan; Aug 3, 06 at 7:29 pm
Old Aug 3, 06, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP
In my opinion SYD-SCL-DFW is a better option, but getting availability on LA on the SYD-SCL route is a lot easier said than done. I'd try though.
Old Aug 3, 06, 5:09 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
IIRC award availability on SYD-AKL-SCL in J is tough, plus you'd have a long layover in SCL too.

I really don't like the Dreamtime seats on QF's 743 but others find them okay. Certainly the layover in HNL would be less than the one in SCL. However if you could route it CHC-AKL-SCL-DFW even with the layover your total travel time might be less.
Old Aug 3, 06, 6:59 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: up in the air
If you can change your dates the CHC-AKL-LAX-DFW would be ideal (easy connections and better seats and IFE). Note CHC-AKL is all economy, but it is a short flight.
Old Aug 3, 06, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Agreed that CHC-AKL-LAX-DFW would be ideal. The problem is that the AKL-LAX leg has no availability in J unless I leave 2 days earlier -- not possible since I'm doing some hiking over on the West side of the Island -- Abel Tasman (b/t/w thanks KiwiFlyer for your thoughts on winter hiking) or I need to extend by 3 days and come home on the 19th of June. The AA agent checked AKL availabilty to LAX, SYD availability to LAX, but not MEL nor BNE. I need to rework my hiking itinerary and see what departure date I end up with.
Old Aug 4, 06, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Try SYD-SFO

Originally Posted by Illini_Fan
The AA agent checked AKL availabilty to LAX, SYD availability to LAX, but not MEL nor BNE.
Try SYD-SFO as well as MEL/BNE-LAX. However QF do not fly CHC-MEL (only Jetstar)
Old Aug 4, 06, 6:17 am

Programs: QF Gold, SQ, AA, HA
CHC-NAN-LAX-DFW can all be done on QF codeshares, no idea about the quality of the FJ J product though. 4-5 hour stops in NAN and LAX.

Edited to add: Not sure if you're allowed to use FJ sectors with the award flight, also it appears to only fly on Sundays.
Old Aug 4, 06, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Try SYD-SFO as well as MEL/BNE-LAX. However QF do not fly CHC-MEL (only Jetstar)
Thanks and Jetstar (unlike JetConnect) cannot be used of a OW award, right?
Old Aug 4, 06, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mrboh
Edited to add: Not sure if you're allowed to use FJ sectors with the award flight, also it appears to only fly on Sundays.
Several other FTers have been fairly clear on this point, NO codeshares on OW awards, but thanks the suggestion. I originally had Fiji in my plans, but couldn't find any OW metal that flew there.
Old Aug 4, 06, 6:10 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by Illini_Fan
Thanks and Jetstar (unlike JetConnect) cannot be used of a OW award, right?
Correct. Jetstar is not a One World airline or affiliate.
Old Aug 6, 06, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Potentially different take on getting home from either CHC or AKL. Is CX J service superior to QF J service? Should I look at availablity on CX (AKL-HKG-LAX-DFW) or is QF service better and I can keep working on finding J availability QF back to the states?
Old Aug 6, 06, 7:48 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Service on CX is better than on QF. But AKL-HKG-LAX is much further distance than AKL-LAX.
Old Aug 6, 06, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, it is longer, but my current on-hold itinerary has a 4.5h SYD layover and a 5hr HNL layover, so total travel time from departure in CHC to arrival in DFW is slightly over 31 hours.

If I decide to drive through the north island and depart from AKL the total time via HKG/LAX is 33h, via SCL 29.5h and via MEL/LAX 25.5h. Of course, all of those assume I can get J availability on the most direct flight and best connections that I found on the OW timetable.

Obviously departing from CHC vs AKL is a big difference and would impact my land itinerary -- so we shall see.

Search this Thread