Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Can you do LGW-KEF-LGW & LHR-DXB-LHR on a *ONE*?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2006, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver

Trying to put together a DONE4 for next year, assuming pricing doesn't drastically vary it'll either be ex-CMB or ex-GIB. Obviously this wouldn't be possible ex-GIB as it'd be 5 european segments but, assuming it was an ex-CMB ticket could I go;

HKG-LHR-DXB-LHR//LGW-KEF-LGW//LHR-GIG?

Despite it obviously not being covered by the Max 2 Segments Eastern Europe/North Africa/Middle East rule I suspect given the distance it has some sort of restrictions on it? If not, then it'd be a great opportunity to check out KEF!

*The other option would of course be to go say CMB-HKG-DXB-LHR but it'll eat up an asian segment that I'd like to use for either a HKG-DPS or HKG-NRT roundtrip so is not an option.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 11:46 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by sdorling
...assuming it was an ex-CMB ticket could I go;
HKG-LHR-DXB-LHR//LGW-KEF-LGW//LHR-GIG?
I don't see why not, AFAIK there are no rules against it.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 11:49 am

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
The routing sounds OK, but you will have to make a direct transfer in one direction, meaning that you will have to go from Dubai to Iceland in one go, or from Iceland to Dubai in one go doing an immediate transit from LHR to LGW or vice versa (this of course means spending less than 24 hours in LON, so you might actually be able to have a relatively long connection there if you want).
Old Jul 19, 2006, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by alex0683de
...you will have to make a direct transfer in one direction, meaning that you will have to go from Dubai to Iceland in one go, or from Iceland to Dubai in one go doing an immediate transit from LHR to LGW or vice versa...
Why?
Old Jul 19, 2006, 12:24 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, LH SEN, Amex something, nothing everywhere else
Just did that on a DONE4. LGW-KEF-LGW in early June and then LHR-DXB-LHR a month later. No direct transfer necessary.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guys.

Guess it's another tick to go ex-CMB, mind you the positioning cost essentially negates the savings made instead of going ex-GIB! But, i do get that extra euro segment to use and a few thousand more miles to boot.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 4:04 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
While on the subject of LGW-KEF, has anyone done this and credited to QFF? I think it is over 1200 miles (thus extra status credits) - about the only one (apart from CTA) that is over 1200 miles, ex-UK and not in the restricted list. But my sources give variously 1203, 1202 and 1205 miles. If possible I'd like to be sure QFF treats it as zone 3 before including it, or rather if it is over 1200 it is no-brainer to include but not necessarily if under 1200.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 11:13 pm

Note that BA coach fares to KEF are as low as GBP39, so possibly not worth wasting a couple of OWE segments. Off topic, Iceland is quite expensive - astonishingly so for car rentals.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 11:20 pm

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
While on the subject of LGW-KEF, has anyone done this and credited to QFF? I think it is over 1200 miles (thus extra status credits) - about the only one (apart from CTA) that is over 1200 miles, ex-UK and not in the restricted list. But my sources give variously 1203, 1202 and 1205 miles. If possible I'd like to be sure QFF treats it as zone 3 before including it, or rather if it is over 1200 it is no-brainer to include but not necessarily if under 1200.
BA web site shows 1202 miles for LGW-KEF.
QFF web site only provides QF routes.
I don't have QFF account, so I have no idea about member site.

By the way, LHR-IST is over 1500 miles and not restricted.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 11:22 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
So you can do IST and, for example, MCT on the same xONEx (both to & from London)?
Old Jul 20, 2006, 12:11 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
So you can do IST and, for example, MCT on the same xONEx (both to & from London)?
Yes.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 2:27 am
Original Poster

I thought IST was restricted, just as ATH, RIX, TLL, DME, OTP etc... all are, according the oneworld explorer planner before the site crashed it wouldn't allow LHR-DXB-LHR and then even a return from LGW-DBV-LGW wasn't allowed as it broke the 'more than 2 Middle East/Eastern Europe/Northern Africa segment rule?!
Old Jul 20, 2006, 2:32 am

IST is NOT in the restricted list.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 2:40 am

Since we are talking about IST... a few days ago I learned about another interesting possibility: Ankara (ESB), thanks to this post from MiamiBeach.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 2:59 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
This has got me thinking... I don't see KRT on the restricted list on the current star files as published here: http://www.hardlink.com/~markdu/OWFi...eExplorer.html
and it is in the Europe/Middle East definition, so can anyone see why CAI-LHR-...-LHR-KRT-LHR-CAI would not be valid?

(The CX version of the rules says "Middle East" but the star file spells out countries individually...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.