Search

AY or some other program?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2006, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lots of different coloured cards
AY or some other program?

Hey,

Im currently a AY plus member, but have been thinking mayby some other program might be for me... My flying pattern seems to be 1-2 UK dom flights booked in O class ( Exec club not an option as this wont get me anything under the fare rules) a month and 1-2 longhauls a year (also in O)....

Any ideas?
Old Jul 11, 2006, 7:48 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Under your circumstances, AY might actually be a good programme.

With the number of flights you are taking, you won't get any status on any airline (excpet maybe through a gold challenge on AA if your longhaul flights aren't to the US and you can make them in a relatively short period of time; see the AAdvantage forum for details on challenges).

Generally, Finnair Plus is pretty bad compared to AA. As an example: I live in Finland, and AY is my #1 airline. All AY flights get 100% miles in the AA programme, but most economy tickets only get 50% in the AY programme. As I fly mostly for leisure, I buy discounted tickets.

If I used the AY programme, I should travel 22 times between Helsinki and London to get an award ticket for that route. Using the AA programme, I need to make only five roundtrips (being AA Platinum; AY doesn't give any extra miles for elite members). For me, AA is clearly the way to go.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 1:36 pm

Programs: AY Plus Silver
should I change my program?

After reading this post, I start thinking whether I should change to other programs. Currently I am on AY plus, I fly AY long Haul intercontinental flights about 8-10 times annually. But always on discounted Eco class, thus I got only 50% of the miles for points. How you think about my situation? Thanks a lot for advices!
Old Jul 8, 2009, 7:04 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Welcome to FT and the OW forum, freeice!

The important question is what you want from your Frequent Flyer Program. Some people want lots of miles and cheap award flights. Other people want lounge access. Other people want to have status to help when things go wrong.
So it might be good to be an AY Frequent Flyer when you actually fly AY because they will (hopefully) look after you more than they would for other people.
But if you are after miles and flights, then I would check whether AA still credits 100% for your booking classes and if the answer is yes, then I would switch to AA.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 8:08 am

Programs: AA Plat
Remember that with AA (and other FF programmes) you usually have to fly a certain number of flights (4?) each year to re-qualify for status. If you are after just miles and not after status then this is, of course, not an issue.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Yes, to requalify for Aadvantage you need four AA flights annually. If only one of your yearly long-haul is to any of the Americas, the connecting flight to the European hub may be booked as AA code-share. Even AY flight HEL-JFK can be booked as AA.

Old Jul 9, 2009, 11:27 pm

Programs: AY Plus Silver
hi all!
thanks a lot for those good hints! So far as my experience, I can't even upgrade to Finnair's Silver membership on my current flights because of this 50% counting. But changing to AA program sounds a bit crazy since I may never fly with AA.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 7:18 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by freeice
hi all!
thanks a lot for those good hints! So far as my experience, I can't even upgrade to Finnair's Silver membership on my current flights because of this 50% counting. But changing to AA program sounds a bit crazy since I may never fly with AA.
The beauty of the AA program is that while the have the 4 segment rule they do not enforce this. And even if they would, it would only matter for status which you won't achieve anyway.
You don't need to fly the carrier of your FFP. There are many people here on FT who have membership with airline which they never set foot on.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 1:01 am

I'm actually facing a similar issue.

Currently I have around 28k AY points (although the website only lists 3 flights and around 8k points? I wonder where the rest is coming from)

I also have around 6k SAS points, and an Eurobonus Diners club.

What prompted this inquiry, was the change to the Diners club-rules which makes me only collect Eurobonus-points. I don't know if this is a good thing, though.

My flying habits: Around 10-15 return flights in the Nordics per year (work-related, homebase is Helsinki) and then 2-3 personal flights around Europe or intercontinental. Lounge access is nice, but I also like the points. I don't care so much for "status" or the supposed better treatment you receive with it.

Which program gives me the most bang for the point? I would get 2 points per euro on the Diners Club with Finnair, but if those are worth less than half of eurobonus-points...

Thanks for the help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.