Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Combined OW lounge at LAX TB Terminal?

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2010, 7:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
At the oneworld First lounge just now. To access the lounge easiest, take the North security queues, then the lift / elevator to the 5th floor. We are greeted similarly to a movie theatre, a woman standing between posts looking over our BP and check-in desk issued pass. One is directed to the right for F, left for C. A variety of newspapers and a few magazines are available, which were replenished. Light colours, an off-white with gold grass-stripes wallpaper, greenish, light brownish or whitish upholstery (some of it showing significant use and spots), some medium woods, all very - medium, and bland looking. Clasical music is piped in and they are announcing flights departures.

The F lounge has five woefully slow computers, and a printer that won't print, as it is flashing it is in need of toner. There does seem to be WiFi, as there are some seemingly using it. There are 36 seats a deux with small tables in front of the food and drinks bar (snacks when I arrived at 1800 / 6PM, some W. Australian wines, more mid-pour alcoholic and non-alcoholic). The alcoholic include Remy Martin XO and Macallan 12 yrs at their top end.

Some of the food is just OK, but most is cold and not looking terribly appetizing, frankly on the vile side (like the bits of chicken in greasy appearing sauce dish, or the dry noodles with bits of embalmed, dry chicken), though the fruit is fairly well selected and at least ripe. 16 more comfortable seats in fours between partitions mid-floor, perhaps seating for 80 - 90 in all? mostly in groupings of two and some foursomes, with three modern chairs with Ottomans near the big screen LCD (usually showing American sports of some kind). At this point, not crowded, beginning to show some life at 2000 / 8 PM(I am on QF12 tonight at 2230 / 10:30PM).

You can hear aircraft go by, but the blinds are drawn until the sun isn't glaring in, so it feels a tad dark at times. There is at least one shower suite, and the WCs offer Molton Brown hand wash liquid and lotion. All in all, it's a fair First lounge - not quite up to snuff to the airlines who operate it, IMO, but it's not a bad place to take refuge before a flight. As fsklee says, LAX is not home [port to any airline using this lounge - and it would appear QF has taken the lead here, at least as shown by wines, home page on the computers, etc.

Last edited by JDiver; May 25, 2010 at 8:58 pm Reason: update
Old May 25, 2010, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...l#post11040931

If departing LAX on QF, I try to route through to T4 and use the F/L there before using the ½ hourly airside bus over to TBIT at least an hour before my TBIT flight. (Once or twice, I have actually obtained my BP at TBIT check-in/OLCI, walked over to T4 and headed though security ).
Old May 26, 2010, 12:43 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by serfty

If departing LAX on QF, I try to route through to T4 and use the F/L there before using the ½ hourly airside bus over to TBIT at least an hour before my TBIT flight. (Once or twice, I have actually obtained my BP at TBIT check-in/OLCI, walked over to T4 and headed though security ).
Very good advise.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 8:48 am

Is this still possible? I asked the AC agent downstairs, and she said one wouldn't be able to come back into T4 once past security if your BP says departing on JL (out of TBIT). The upstairs in the FL, the agent said the same thing. I thought I remembered reading that you could here on FT, but two agents told me otherwise, and I'm not sure I want to risk being stuck in the OW lounge for 7 hours before my flight.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 9:25 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
You won't be able to come back in, but if you land in T4 (on an inbound AA flight) you can then go to the AA T4 FL for a few hours, before catching the bus to TBIT (or exiting T4 and walking round the corner to TBIT if on CX/JL)
Old Jun 15, 2011, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Is this still possible? I asked the AC agent downstairs, and she said one wouldn't be able to come back into T4 once past security if your BP says departing on JL (out of TBIT). The upstairs in the FL, the agent said the same thing. I thought I remembered reading that you could here on FT, but two agents told me otherwise, and I'm not sure I want to risk being stuck in the OW lounge for 7 hours before my flight.
You are not supposed to be able to do this. The Agents told you correctly. However, it is not impossible.¹

As I indicated, it is better to route through a T4 arrival and bide my time there.

¹ I believe that with the TBIT expansions there are to be accessible airside walkways/tunnels between TBIT/T3/T4.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 9:49 am

You are not supposed to be able to do this. The Agents told you correctly. However, it is not impossible.¹

As I indicated, it is better to route through a T4 arrival and bide my time there.

¹ I believe that with the TBIT expansions there are to be accessible airside walkways/tunnels between TBIT/T3/T4.
Yeah. That's what we eventually did; stay in T4 FL until about 2h before and head over to the OW lounge it TBIT.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 2:13 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The TBIT Oneworld F and J lounges are substantially identical (similar decor, facilities, amenities, food and wine) with the only difference being things like cognac (XO only on the F side). The J side often has better food (maybe greater turnover) and more/faster computers, fwiw. For years the T4 FL was looked down upon as the poor cousin of the TBIT F lounges (when QF/BA/CX had separate lounges); now after sending many millions on the new TBIT lounges it is a bit ironic the the FL is superior (not that it got any better). I guess Oneworld spent all their money on wiring or rent or something and didn't have any left for running the lounges. I know the total cost was over $30 million (but that is for all lounges, not just Oneworld, and included the cost of the temporary lounges in the hangar); sure doesn't feel like $30 million when you visit
Old Jun 17, 2011, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by number_6
The TBIT Oneworld F and J lounges are substantially identical (similar decor, facilities, amenities, food and wine) with the only difference being things like cognac (XO only on the F side). The J side often has better food (maybe greater turnover) and more/faster computers, fwiw. For years the T4 FL was looked down upon as the poor cousin of the TBIT F lounges (when QF/BA/CX had separate lounges); now after sending many millions on the new TBIT lounges it is a bit ironic the the FL is superior (not that it got any better). I guess Oneworld spent all their money on wiring or rent or something and didn't have any left for running the lounges. I know the total cost was over $30 million (but that is for all lounges, not just Oneworld, and included the cost of the temporary lounges in the hangar); sure doesn't feel like $30 million when you visit
No, it doesn't. It feels small and cramped, more like $30 thousand.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 10:41 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ, BA, TG, Sheba, VN, MPO since 1980

On my last trip to USA I specificially chose American from DFW expecting that the connection to CX would be seamless. Hah !
In the American terminal in LAX I saw a Qantas rep directing people downstairs for the airside bus to the Bradley terminal "Not for CX or oneworld, just for Qantas" she said. So much for oneworld seamless. Had to walk to Bradley terminal and go through the grope channel again only to reach the by then standing room only Qantas / BA / CX lounge. No wonder why US pax love Asian airports and service.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 11:40 pm

Programs: Alaska FF
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
No, it doesn't. It feels small and cramped, more like $30 thousand.
In the new TBIT West, oneworld lounges will move to a new space, that is larger than the current space.

There will also be a secured connector between T4 and TBIT. So, no more airside bussing.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I'm flying Cathay F from LAX to HKG on Thursday at 11:30am, just got around to checking this thread.

Food sounds yucky. Am I better off grabbing some breakfast outside the lounge? All I really want is fresh fruit and yogurt, given that they'll be plenty of food on the plane.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 11:19 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
You should find fresh fruit and yogurt.
Catering generally does the mornings OK, it is the lack of choice in the evenings that is the downside.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 11:07 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Thanks!
Old Dec 13, 2012, 9:53 pm

I have premium economy class ticket lax-hkg and I have MPC Silver.. Can I enter OW lounge?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.