Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Not fly the Transatlantic sector?

Old Apr 20, 06, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: M+M SEN, BA Gold; Skywards Gold; QF life time Gold; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold

I have commenced my RTW D class ticket...so far I have flown SYD-LAX-JFK then LGA-FLL then MIA-PHL.

I have another airline ticket which expires soon from JFK-LHR so do not want to take the Trans Atlantic sector of this RTW ticket....

? Can I recommence my Eastward journey back to Asia and onto Australia from London without taking this Trans Atlantic flight sector?

My travel agent cannot decide which is proving frustrating
Old Apr 20, 06, 4:55 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Absolutely not. One of the OWE iron-clad rules is that trans-oceanic surface is not allowed (this rule disallows lots of routings and destinations, for example PPT). If you skip it, the rest of your OWE flights become void and cannot be flown (until you do fly the trans-Atlantic sector). There is no way to circumvent this rule, though I suppose mistakes are sometimes made with a paper ticket.
Old Apr 20, 06, 4:56 pm

I'm not the expert, but until the real experts weigh in I'll say it's absolutely against the rules to open jaw across an ocean on an OWE.
Old Apr 20, 06, 5:36 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by ukblue
I have commenced my RTW D class ticket...so far I have flown SYD-LAX-JFK then LGA-FLL then MIA-PHL.

I have another airline ticket which expires soon from JFK-LHR so do not want to take the Trans Atlantic sector of this RTW ticket....

? Can I recommence my Eastward journey back to Asia and onto Australia from London without taking this Trans Atlantic flight sector?

My travel agent cannot decide which is proving frustrating
Er...

109N . 2. INTERMEDIATE SURFACE SECTORS ARE PERMITTED AT
110N . THE PASSENGER*S EXPENSE. TRANSOCEANIC SURFACE
111N . SECTORS ARE NOT PERMITTED.
112N . EXCEPTION: ORIGINATING IN THE SWP - ONE
113N . TRANSOCEANIC SURFACE SECTOR IS PERMITTED.

Now I've been wrong (and recently) in citing this set of rules, but I don't think this one's been undone recently.

I think somehow Cunard has had its sneaky hand in here someplace.
Old Apr 20, 06, 7:03 pm

Given the transoceanic surface sector exception for an SWP originating xONEx you should be able to reissue the ticket with the sector deleted.

Your other choice is simply to discard the coupon and carry on as booked, hoping that it won;t be noticed and that if it is no one will be bothered. This is very much 'taking a chance' though and I wouldn't recomment it.

It seems to me that the best option is to keep the xONEx as is and lose the other ticket - which other than being annoying has no consequences.
Old Apr 20, 06, 7:40 pm

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List, CX Diamond
Originally Posted by number_6
(this rule disallows lots of routings and destinations, for example PPT).
OT,
How about this ?

Because of PPT is located in South Pacific (IATA Area 3),
LA's PPT-IPC flight should be considered transoceanic flight between Area 3 and Area 1. PPT-AKL should be an intra-southpacific flight rather than a transoceanic flight.

If this is true, we can do following route as an xONE5.

LHR-SAO-SCL-PPT//AKL-SYD-HKG-LHR

comments welcome.
Old Apr 20, 06, 8:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
I concur that it is clearly against the rules. If you have an e-ticket then you almost certainly won't get away with it (will be trapped at check-in for the first Europe sector). On a paper ticket with the reservations separate from the ticketing I reckon you would get away with it with negligible chance of problems. Having said that, if someone catches it you haven't got a leg to stand on.
Old Apr 21, 06, 3:28 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by christep
I concur that it is clearly against the rules. If you have an e-ticket then you almost certainly won't get away with it (will be trapped at check-in for the first Europe sector). On a paper ticket with the reservations separate from the ticketing I reckon you would get away with it with negligible chance of problems. Having said that, if someone catches it you haven't got a leg to stand on.
I agree, and find the above best in line with previous threads. If in the past the more or less consensus here has been 'throw it away, no worries' (with the e-ticket caveat), then I don't see why this case is different just because it involves a transoceanic segment. What I am trying to say is that to throw away a SYD-MEL coupon is just as 'bad' as a doing away with a JFK-LHR one (you are altering the itinerary without a reissue), so in -that- sense any transoceanic rules are irrelevant.
Old Apr 21, 06, 3:41 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
I would be very careful about throwing away a coupon and not first going to the airline to change your booking. Airlines have a habit of cancelling entire bookings paper or not. We live in a much more connected world now.

Also remember that most OW alliance members (minus CX and AA) use Amadeus so they know what has and has not been flowen regardless of whether you have a paper ticket rather than e-ticket.

I would be very careful!

Perhaps I am being overally cautious, but I still think it is better to be safe than sorry. If you want to change your ticket, go and speak to the airline first.
Old Apr 21, 06, 4:12 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
If you keep your ticket open-dated and separate from the reservations (and have your reservations spread over a number of PNRs) then there is much less chance of problems arising.
Old Apr 21, 06, 12:42 pm
Original Member

I forgot about the rule change for SWP origination (I no longer originate from there), that was made about a year ago and it was done to allow SA to Africa access. This rule allows a "southern hemisphere" RTW of Australia - Africa - South America (but they still require 4 continents minimum for SWP, so no advantage over flying SA to Europe to Africa in terms of cost, but does allow choice of Europe or Asia on the xONE4).

Years ago PPT was classified as part of South America (perhaps because the only OW service to it was from SA) ... I tried to get a transpacific routing via PPT and it was not allowed a few years ago (haven't tried since, not that interested in PPT).
Old Apr 21, 06, 12:52 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Traveloguy
... Airlines have a habit of cancelling entire bookings paper or not. We live in a much more connected world now.
I once had a booking cancelled after a flight that I had flown!. And it was even an e-ticket. Somehow the agent issued a boarding pass without marking the sector as flown (so I could have flown it again for free). It was quite difficult to fix this (took over an hour, partly because several of the cancelled legs were no longer available -- someone was happy to clear the waitlist for A).
Old Apr 21, 06, 8:28 pm

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List, CX Diamond
Originally Posted by number_6
Years ago PPT was classified as part of South America (perhaps because the only OW service to it was from SA) ... I tried to get a transpacific routing via PPT and it was not allowed a few years ago (haven't tried since, not that interested in PPT).
Interesting.
If PPT was classified as part of South America, SCL-PPT was intra SA sector.
SCL-PPT is served by LA as one flight number with 4931 miles.
In that case, SCL-PPT-SCL was good mileage run.
Old Apr 22, 06, 11:59 am
Original Member

This was before the 20 sector limit, so having a single flight number had no significance (the schedule of only 2 flights a week was the bigger problem). The current rules are a lot less generous, however OWE is still a nice product though some of the rules are absurd (it would seem that much simpler rules could accomplish the same kind of route restrictions and lead to less confusion).

Search this Thread